• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steps for removal of cracked exhaust manifold

I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins with a cracked manifold that is long overdue for replacement. I bought a slightly used manifold from Drag Racer that is in new condition. I used to be a good mechanic meaning I would always get job done and back together without any parts laying around. I am not in good phyical shape and have issues getting up and down so if anyone has done this and could share with me where you started and especially what you did from the bottom side it would save me several moves getting under my truck and what can be left in place. I am concerned that I might have to break it lose from the exhaust pipe or will I be able to just take the manifold apart from the turbo and have the room to pull it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Although I have never removed my manifold I have removed the turbo and from that it appears to me that the exhaust manifold should come off from above. I would recommend removing the turbo and not let it hang on the down pipe. All of that should come off from above. If I am wrong someone will correct me.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I have never removed my manifold I have removed the turbo and from that it appears to me that the exhaust manifold should come off from above. I would recommend removing the turbo and not let it hang on the down pipe. All of that should come off from above. If I am wrong someone will correct me.

• Like 1

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I have looked hard at the turbo thinking you could get a better view of the underside cap screws and studs holding the bottom and then maybe getting it off but did not if going under the truck woulld give full access to the same. I can't express how much I appreciate the information.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I have looked hard at the turbo thinking you could get a better view of the underside cap screws and studs holding the bottom and then maybe getting it off but did not if going under the truck woulld give full access to the same. I can't express how much I appreciate the information.

You shouldn't have to get underneath. Like was already said, just pull the turbo and you should be able to get to everything. Don't forget to replace the manifold gaskets, Cummins part number 3946275 are the ones I use. They are a steel gasket and seem to have less issues than most with leaks as long as you get the surfaces clean and smooth. The manifold bolts torque to 32 ft lbs.

You shouldn't have to get underneath. Like was already said, just pull the turbo and you should be able to get to everything. Don't forget to replace the manifold gaskets, Cummins part number 3946275 are the ones I use. They are a steel gasket and seem to have less issues than most with leaks as long as you get the surfaces clean and smooth. The manifold bolts torque to 32 ft lbs.

That really sounds great, I have the use of an electric impact wrench but will not be able it seems to reach every piece of hardware with it. I used a pull wrench on a couple and they broke fairly easy. As Mopar1973Man suggested after soaking with pen/oil I will try and rattle off as many as I can. Does the turbo break at the exhaust pipe or is there some other point to break the turbo from the exhaust system?? And thank you for your input.

Going under the truck won't do you much good. The turbo is quite a ways from the bottom of the truck and unless you have 5' arms you are out of luck........ The bolts for the turbo are tough to get off, but they do come off from the top.

• Like 1

There should be a joint in the downpipe from the turbo near the firewall that has two bolts going through it, they hold the exhaust to the turbo outlet. The mounting nuts for the turbo are a bit of a pain, but are removed from the top as well. 3937706 is the drain gasket part number, some people are lucky enough to use them over, I am not one of them. :lmao:

• Like 1

Not to high jack the thread but i to plan on replacing my factory manifold but with an aftermarket one (Not sure which one). And i see Geno's Garage has a stud kit for the job as to reusing the factory bolt's. So my question is would this be a good idea to replace those old worn out streched bolt's with new bolt's or go and buy the stud's. Here's the link to the item in question http://www.genosgarage.com/EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-STUD-KIT-985-07-59L/productinfo/STUDKIT8905_A/

I personally don't recommend studs for the exhaust manifold. After working on heavy duty trucks for 11 years I've seen several manifold studs break off with trucks just going down the road, haven't seen a bolt break off from the truck just driving. After several years of running the bolts may break when trying to remove them however. Also tend to see more manifolds with studs develop leaks than with bolts. That link does make one valid point, that it is easier to get the gaskets in place with studs, but you can make a couple studs to hang 2 gaskets and the manifold on until you get the rest installed with the bolts. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the bolts instead of reusing the old heat fatigued bolts.Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thank's for the info guess i'll just get some new bolt's from arp when i get the chance to change them. How much trouble are they to come out . The truck has no rust/southern truck it's whole life. But i fear the first time i try to lossen the bolt's they will shear apart is it best to let the truck warm up then remove the bolt's or just soak them for a day or two with penatrating oil?

• Owner

I feel its best to use a impact tool or wrench and dead blow hammer to free exhaust hardware. Typically after all the heat cycles the metal tends to weaken on harden bolts so just putting a ratchet on or wrench on it and pull tends to break them off. Don't ask how many bolts I broke off in the turbo. :banghead:

• Like 1

Penetrating oil....let it soak for an hour, don't be shy, be liberal. I used liquid wrench on bolts from a powerstroke turbo and took the turbine housing bolts out with nothing but my bare hands, no vice or anything. I let it soak for probably a day though.

There should be a joint in the downpipe from the turbo near the firewall that has two bolts going through it, they hold the exhaust to the turbo outlet. The mounting nuts for the turbo are a bit of a pain, but are removed from the top as well. 3937706 is the drain gasket part number, some people are lucky enough to use them over, I am not one of them. :lmao:

Again, I appreciate the information. I had looked at this joint but was not certain if it was part of the puzzle or not. I bought all my gaskets from Geno's but did not purchase this one. Thank you for the part number I'll need to order this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I appreciate the information. I had looked at this joint but was not certain if it was part of the puzzle or not. I bought all my gaskets from Geno's but did not purchase this one. Thank you for the part number I'll need to order this one.

I think all of you have given me some good advice in addition to instructions saving me from going underneath my truck to remove hardware when it can all be done from the top. I know it sounds ignorant on my part for asking but this information will definitely make this job easier for me. I know from re-reading this thread that I am a bubble or more off and for that I appreciate all of you being patient with me. I have been reading as many threads as possible except when I have issues going on; there is a lot of knowledge to pick up on and much advice to help anyone learn how to maintain their Cummins truck regardless of the situation. I’m going to order the gasket I need and when it arrives start the break down process. I hope I can document how it turns out or maybe someone who has done this before might document it from a professional standpoint, I believe it would help members dealing with removing the turbo or removing the exhaust manifold or a combination of both. Thank you all for the advice on answering my question. now I need to shut-up and get to work. :cookoo: