• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ok i have a new question now with my guages before i installed them i had a fuel pressure light and had no lights but with the guage it shows 12psi at idle but like at cruising speeds i get maby 10 and wot 6 i did how ever wire the sending unit with a larger guage wire than the lead off the guage had could that be messing with the reading or is my stock lift pump failing but wouldnt i get a lo pressure light if that was the case

That is about all your going to get out of a stock lift pump. They don't do any better right out of the box. Low fuel pressure lights generally don't come on until around 2 to 3 p.s.I. JR now Free

The low pressure fuel lights I am familiar with dont come on until 5 psi or below, that is why you are not seeing the light come on. I dont think the wire gauge should be a concern though someone else might be able to confirm this. I just wired some gauges that the leads appear to be 18 gauge and the only wire I could find was 16 gauge. All the gauges seem to be operating just fine. Your pressure numbers are very low and I would suspect it is your oe lift pump. An aftermarket lift pump would be highly recommended.

ok i have another lift pump but its a stock style from autozone i know not the best idea but the truck quit and wouldnt pump fuel so i picked that one up turned out the canaster in the tank had come apart but anyway should i put it back on as for after market ive been wanting one for a very long time but dont have $500 to get one im to the point i know its comming that the vp fails if i cant get a better fuel system but im between a rock and a hard place

$400 raptor now or $1200 vp44 and $400 raptor later, if you haven't already taken out the vp The low pressure lights are one of the worst ideas ever. I always laugh when people think they are the answer, well 5psi is way to low. Too bad they didn't make one that lit up around 15psi.

please forgive my ignorance but if the reading falls under 15 psi are you supposed to shut the truck off that second and call a buddy and/or a wrecker. then tow it somewhere to replace that pump, then continue on your way?

Well technically you aren't suppose to go under 10 but anything under 14 isn't lubricating and cooling the pump. So a 15psi light would actually be an indicator that something is wrong. How can you run with poor pressure, just depends on the situation, as long as you are not hard on it and replace it as soon as possible than you shouldn't have any problems.

geno's garage. They deal only with dodge/cummins accessories, have been very knowledgeable with the few questions i've asked, i always have my order sitting on my doorstep within 3-5 days max, and never had a problem with anything i've ordered from them. They stand behind everything they sell there. Jr now free

i agree fully, great service!!!!!!

when my oe lift pump went dodge replaced it with the in tank version and I thought it must be better than oe. I ran it for a year or more before I started having problems, some bucking and dead pedal. I knew zero about this fuel system and waited a while to take to anyone. When I finally did several months later is when I discovered how low my FP was. I would also assume that it had been low for a while. I did install a booster pump to get the pressure up and my problems went away. It was another 3 years before I saw any further problems. It was then I replaced my lift pump and VP. All this time without a FP gauge. What I am driving at is if you have to drive the truck, install the new oe style pump and use it. At the least invest $75 and install a gauge and monitor the pressure and start saving for a better one. Mine ran for quite a while and yours might also, but there is just no way to know. One thing we do know is if the VP goes, the truck does not. It is a bit of a crap shoot.

Well my truck has 200k on it, and who knows what fuel pressures it was running with the previous owner or how often the fuel filter was changed etc. Sure runs great though.I purchased a fuel boss & big line kit, installing soon & guages too. I'm not running the truck until I do. Just hoping the Vp44 is ok. I'm assuming it's the original, but I'm not certain. Is there any real way to tell if my vp is orgininal or been replaced?

I have heard remans are marked. I guess mine was, it had a Blue Chip diesel sticker on the original cover. I bought his stealth cover form him and removed the one with the sticker. Some folks say the remans are painted black, mine is not, though it is silver and black. so I dont know how you can tell. My OE went out and 75K.

• 4 weeks later...

i know my vp had been replaced and thats what i am going to do ima put the new pump on i do have a fp guage plus the warning light too also i rarley drive it due to not being able to afford the big pump and when i do its just a couple miled and i baby it also with it being cnd keep the fuel thin so itll pump easiet when coldold im keepingtrea

• 3 weeks later...