• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buy a truck with missing tittle ???

JOHNFAK

I'm about to fly up to pick up my truck.Seller contacted me and said the bank doesn't have and issued Title its held at the state capital office. They only have an electronic copy or something.He said we just need to do a Bill of Sale and have it notarized ......... that's all thats required. And then when title arrives in 2-3 weeks he signs and sends to me.Kinda checking this out with my bank ......... and tried to call my local DMV but no luck with getting through.Any tips ?? Experience. :thumbup2:

I wouldn't give him anything more than a deposit unless I had the process verified through the state at minimum. He should be able to get a replacement title. If the bank doesn't hold a copy of the title, they should get one.

• Like 1

Years ago I bought a truck (pretitle required) with some missing paperwork. DMV would not register it. But I had to pay sales tax or get wacked late fees. I took the truck back to the out of state dealer... I should have returned it. I let him talk me into driving it with his CT Used Dealer plates until the correct customs documents were gotten. I drove it several months... he kept calling me to get his plates back & I told him "With the truck they are on!" Eventually they sent someone to the Customs in Buffalo to get a certified copy that it was properly declared as goods & not driven back from Canada & resold. I have title problems with my camper/toyhauler. Basically once he has your money, you have no hold over him.

Edited by flagmanruss
  • Like 1

I agree with the prior two people.I have never heard of a bank not having the paper copy of a title. Electronic copies for a bank is fine for the bank. But a state is a different animal. I have yet to fine a state that will not re-issue a paper copy, to either a bank or private person, as long as their fees are paid and they have a legal right to a title.Is the cost if this worth it ?Are your ready to do the paperwork and wait time ?Once you get it and this title issues are on going, will your insurance company still insure it ? (mine won't)Will you be able to drive it once the present tags are expired ?I wouldn't walk that path no matter how much I would save.

• Like 1

here in AZ you can get what's called a bonded title. you go to insutrance company tell them you need to get a bonded title, then yo pay the 200$ they write a note to DMV then you can get a title. however if there is a LEAN on the title your screwed. have him send you the VIN number, ask a friendly DPS or Sheriff to run it see if it's all clear. then ask DMV if they can tell you anything about it. might have to go to state police like DPS or state patrol.else stay away from it.

• Like 1

John there are guys on CF getting screwed all the time one way or another... Drive it, criticize every part on it, drive it again...get the title crap figured out first. Honesty has gone out the window in current times, get everything in your favor legally before trying to wager a trucks worthiness on that guys "trust". They all act nice, tell you what you wanna hear.... It's just a truck john....you can barrow mine eternally if you put the pump back on it :lmao:

• Like 1

I bought a used car... the guy went to church with my parents... so I trusted him. After I paid him & took it home I noticed the radiator cap was loose so I tightened it... blew all the coolant out. Blown head gasket. Then I found the fan thermostat was jumped so the fan ran continuously. He had told me a reputable local garage had serviced it. When I showed up there & asked for information, they refused without a release from the former owner. So I trusted & got screwed.

Edited by flagmanruss

Sorry guys for lack of update - was sorting this out last night - and I only got 1 email saying thread was updated :shrug:

Anyway firstly thanks heaps on the info. I eventually came to the same conclusion myself and have told the seller I cant do anything without the title. I think everything is fine and we are still going ahead - but it will be another 3 weeks before I see the truck. Short story is the bank has the title as it has a lien, he has written a check to pay that off but by the time the check clears and the head office who holds the title releases it to the local bank could be 3 weeks.

Was meant to fly out Friday on a one way ticket all bought and paid - non refundable as it was cheaper ...... looks like that will be cancelled but I already explained that will have to come off purchase price. He's amenable to that.

So ..... we spoke for another hour last night ......... I think this was just a genuine stuffup on his end ....... kinda just bummed as been waiting to get back into this truck for almost 6 weeks now. Better safe than sorry .... so will just have to wait.

Thanks guys will keep you posted - if it all goes through I truly think this is one heck of a truck in terms of its capabilities, and how clean it is.

keep you posted - might hear more today .... :thumbup2:

- - - Updated - - -

It's just a truck john....you can barrow mine eternally if you put the pump back on it :lmao:

Id thank you 2x man .... but you have enough - hahahahahahahah

If it goes ahead you'll be hearing lots from me on tuning the pump ...... its a beast ....

Here in ND you can't even sell a vehicle at a salvage or scrap yard unless you have a title for it anymore.The other thing I have been checked on a couple of times is when buying or selling between private parties the purchase or selling price better be correct on the title, to many fraud cases to get out of paying the taxes. The DOT has requested statements and documents proving the price paid for the vehicle matches the selling or purchase price on the title.There are too many horror stories about folks buying vehicles and then not being able to license them due to no title.If I do not see a title in hand at time of inspection or bank lean paper and a talk with the bank to make sure it is ligit, I will not waste my time.

There are too many horror stories about folks buying vehicles and then not being able to license them due to no title.

Hey Bill - so you stopping off on your FL trip - when is it ? Yeah it kinda of has been dragging on for a number of weeks and then this last minute title deal - was just trying to see if it could get worked out safely. IN the end I just came to senses and cant go through with it without a title. I think it will all get worked out. BUt going to be 2x as careful now with regards to items on truck and communication just to be sure rest of sale goes through well. Probably another 2 weeks. If not - Ill look for another truck ...... :thumbup2:

I bought a used Datsun pickup from the buyer's widow... it still had expired temp plates (cardboard) on it. The truck had 310 miles on the clock. (The purchaser drove it home, took the grandchildren out sledding against doctor's orders... threw a blood clot & died on the spot.) The Sales Tax had not been paid! We stood in line at the DMV, she paid the tax with my deposit, turned around handed me the paperwork & I paid it again. When the DMV handed me the registration & plates, I turned around and handed her the final Bank Check. Yeah, she was right behind me! Sweet old lady. The year was 1976, before titles were mandatory. I learned to drive stick driving over the Newport Bridge & didn't muff the toll booth on the Jamestown side.

I drove it 50,000 miles & sold it for more than I paid for it.

Posted Image

I was a lot skinnier then too!