• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok, I did this 3 weeks ago so I am just finally getting around to doing my write up. I know people have concerns with the airdog/raptor issues, but hey, somebody has to see if they are fixed. I have no concerns about these pumps, as I have never had any problems getting warranty on customers raptors. Also, I have an electronic gauge as well as a quick release fitting for a mechanical gauge to check pressure whenever I need to.First things first here are the partsAirdog and hardwarepost-13068-138698210007_thumb.jpgHere is the sump kit by Bean's dieselpost-13068-138698209994_thumb.jpgFirst thing I did was drain the tank through the fuel filter housing drain into 5 gallon buckets and jumping out the lift pump wires to control the flow.Here is what your fuel looks like when you mix 2-stroke oil at 128/1post-13068-138698209983_thumb.jpgNow time to put together the Airdog pump and fittings, I used some bituthene around the plates that mount to the frame and also between the actual pump and its mounting bracket to dampen any vibrations/noise.post-13068-138698210097_thumb.jpgI ran all hoses and wiring, that ran up to the engine bay, through the frame rail to clean up and protect them. I also ran the fuel line into the stock filter housing to keep the extra filtration as well as the water separation. (I don't believe the fuel heater does much good)Next I installed the Vulcan big line kit, here are all the fittings and sizes to help clear up anythingpost-13068-138698210015_thumb.jpgThis is the fitting that will go into the vp44 and the bottom of the filter housing.post-13068-138698210026_thumb.jpgThese are the elbows that will hook into the previous fittings. The one with the 1/8 fitting should go on the vp44 fitting.post-13068-13869821004_thumb.jpgHere is the glowshift maxtow gauge I got, its an analog as well as having the digital number readout. I am not to happy with the gauge as the needle looks like a windshield wiper when you are driving and have the throttle on anything off idle. I think the sensor is way to sensitive because with a mechanical gauge, the gauge only drops 1 psi at WOTpost-13068-138698210051_thumb.jpgHere is the fuel snubber that came with the fuel pressure gauge, this or a needle valve is a must to keep your pressure sensor safe from the hammering the vp44 does.post-13068-13869821006_thumb.jpgElbow with adapter and snubberpost-13068-138698210076_thumb.jpgNow onto the fuel sump. They say to drill it right below the stock fuel module, so I cleaned up the tank really well. After drilling the pilot hole with the provided hole saw, I let any fuel drain out that was still in the tank. After it stopped dripping, I finished drilling the hole and cleaned up all the shavings. After I drilled the hole I think drilling under the stock sender is not the best as it interferes with the installation of the sump.post-13068-138698210086_thumb.jpgSump all installedpost-13068-138698210108_thumb.jpgSump is roughly 1" tall and sits above the frame rail. Yes something could hit it and tear it off but I rarely go offroad so I won't be worried about it.post-13068-138698210119_thumb.jpgAnd finally, its installed. This is my attempt to show how far everything hangs under the truck and the protection it has.post-13068-138698210129_thumb.jpgFinal thoughts, so far so good. As I said earlier, with the mechanical gauge, I only drop 1 psi at WOT with my setup and chip on highest setting. Don't believe there will be any gains in mileage, but I now know I have great fuel pressure (19-20psi) and great filtration.

• Like 3

Well, at first I didn't drop the tank but I missed the part in the instructions that said you might have to drill a 1/4" hole in the old supply line in the tank because it is now used as a return and the line could have a check valve inside it restricting flow.

The old supply line is now a return line... Is that because of the AD 165 pump? What I am asking is why is it a return line now??

• 4 months later...

Hey thanks for resurrecting this thread. I might try to install my sump further back so the driveline will offer some protection to it. Wondering which way the sending unit float sits. Does it face backwards in the tank? Don't want to drill through it or interfere with it.

Correct. Where the old supply line hooks into the top of the module is now where you hook up the ruturn for the airdog

Don't use it as return, I drilled mine out as big as I could still too restrictive and brings pressure up to high. Try to teturn it as 1/2" also. All of the fittings inside module are too small.

Ive got 4 1/4" holes in the return line, i wont have any return issues. Plus its just the pump return, there isnt that much

Buy not being able to return fuel from air dog without restriction you will increase pressure to vp, and you'll have swings in pressure 5-6psi maybe. I did. What I ended up doing is drilling out supply in module to put in 1/2" jic fitting to return fuel, it's 3/8 Id but so is the fitting on draw straw. But lines are 1/2 as soon as I did this my pressure went back to 15-16 and had to put shim for spring and ball back in. Where is your pressure now, try unhooking it from module and take fitting of that 1/2 line and return it in to bucket without any restriction. See if your pressure changes if it does then you know you're restricting it, and will have pressure swings. Just my 2cents.

• 3 months later...

Well, at first I didn't drop the tank but I missed the part in the instructions that said you might have to drill a 1/4" hole in the old supply line in the tank because it is now used as a return and the line could have a check valve inside it restricting flow.

so with the airdog 165 you have to drill a quarter inch hole in it for the return line being used in the old supply line? im having some issues with mine at the moment. and i installed a sump kit on it. if i get down on it hard it will jump in psi pressure.and not by alittle bit about 7 psi. also it seems like mine drops pressure alot too.i dont have alot done to my truck mainly just a quad and on stage three out of ten i suck down pressure to about 14. and then it will shoot up too about 26-27psi and im just wondering why it would be doing this.