• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM for older 24v?!

I need to replace my bummed ECM and got a good deal on a 2000 model. I have a 98.5. The seller, of course, tells me that it will work. After looking through the forums I hear both that it will and won't work. Does anyone have any first hand experience success or failure?!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I put the new ECM in and it still won't start. I've run the battery down for the third time trying to figure it out. It's giving me codes 0230 and 1693 with the scanner. I couldn't figure out how to work the multimeter testing the lift pump. Did get one reading of 6 point something. I stopped pursuing it because I can hear the raptor 100 cycling properly as it's been since I installed it in 2011. I'm about to push that thing in the river. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem. I also bled the fuel lines by cracking the banjo bolt at the vp inlet and have a good size puddle to prove the LP is working. The truck's sat for about 3 weeks before I put the new ECM in. As much as I hate to, I used starter fluid, as it worked with hard starts when the problem arose prior to parking it. Now it doesn't respond to the ether, just turns over after but never catches.

A 3/4 wrench will work. Crack them loose enough to be able to wiggle the fuel line and crank until you see a fair amount of fuel. Don't crank the engine any longer than about 20 seconds and be sure to give it a break for a minute or two in between or you will be replacing your starter in short order. Also may be a good idea to keep your batteries on a charger if your running them down that much as it is hard on them. Be careful with that starting fluid aside from the long term side effects you could cause serious damage to the engine under the right circumstances. At a minimum I would disconnect the grid heaters, but if an engine won't start under its own power I will not force the issue with ether. Just asking for trouble IMO. For example one of the guys ran our 130 ton crane with an 8.3 Cummins out of fuel on Thursday. He spent 2 hours cranking it and hitting it with ether trying to get it fired up. I came in the next morning, filled the filters with fuel, cycled the key several times while cracking fittings loose to prime the system prior to the pump, then went to the injector lines one a a time and within 40 minutes had it running. Not one shot of ether. Fix the problem and it will start every time on its own. JR

• Owner

Thanks I'll try it .

- - - Updated - - -

Cracked line 1 and barely a dribble when cranking. Now it's throwing 1689. I hope it's a bad wire

Dribbling line is not pumping. When a VP44 is actually pumping it will create at least 4,500 PSI at idle so dribbling doesn't count.

As for the P1689...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/228-p1689-no-communication-between-ecm-and-vp44

[h=2]Possible Causes[/h]

[*] Wiring & Connectors

[*] Fuel Injection Pump Relay Output Circuit Open

[*] Ground Circuit Open Or High Resistance

[*] Datalink (+) Circuit Open

[*] Datalink (+) Circuit Shorted To Ground

[*] Datalink (-) Open

[*] Datalink (-) Shorted To Ground

[*] ECM

Might still have a bad ECM and have to call warranty on it.

Dribbling line is not pumping. When a VP44 is actually pumping it will create at least 4,500 PSI at idle so dribbling doesn't count.

Unless he hasn't cranked it enough to get the air out.... But with the 1689 coming up it does point to ECM related issue, hopefully whoever you bought it from will work with you if that's the case. Would be nice to be able to install it on a running truck to know if that's the problem JR

The few times I have had to reprime my high pressure side the fuel flow will start as a dribble as the fuel is moved into the system. Open more than one and see what happens.What was the original issue with no starting that made you think your ECM was bad?

Whats strange to me is that your getting a little bit of fuel at the injector. If the ecm is bad I would have thought you would get no fuel at all.... If you have cranked the engine sufficently with an injector(s) cracked and are not getting steady bursts of fuel, along with the 1689 code, you could very well have gotten a bad ecm. Only way I know to test is either swap ecm with a running truck or take the truck in to a competent diesel shop.JR

• Like 1

Whats strange to me is that your getting a little bit of fuel at the injector. If the ecm is bad I would have thought you would get no fuel at all.... If you have cranked the engine sufficently with an injector(s) cracked and are not getting steady bursts of fuel, along with the 1689 code, you could very well have gotten a bad ecm. Only way I know to test is either swap ecm with a running truck or take the truck in to a competent diesel shop. JR

Mostly true!! You can however test everything leaving that to be your last resort. To bypass ecm and any potential electrical issues, remove plug from rear of injection pump run hot wire to pin 7 with a 10amp in line fuse, then another wire from the pin directly above #7 then ground that to battery. If your injection pump is good and your getting fuel it will start. The dribble of fuel that you got out of the line was probably just what the lift pump was pushing through.