• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery cable gauge

I am replacing the batteries in my truck (they were very dead when I tried leaving for work this morning). I also need to replace the terminals as they are pretty beat up. I don't have a wire gauge tool but by my measurements based on copper diameter tell me the positive crossover between the batteries as well as both negative cables are 3/0 (000) and the positive between the starter and driver side battery is 5/0 (00000). Can anyone confirm this? That starter cable is certainly large! I'm having a bit of a time even finding a terminal that size. I'm all ears if you've got suggestions. Thank you very much!

I would assume that the wire to the starter should be larger than the negative and crossover cables. So to me I don't know if I would trust those numbers. That's just my intuition though. I will see if I can find the actual gauge sizes.Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

• Staff

You can make your own lugs out of copper tubing. I make them so they bite or crimp to a longer length of stripped wire than all the manufacturers. Better contact. Before crimping on the lugs in a vise take some solder and tin coat all the stripped wire ends. It makes a more solid crimp and helps stop corrosion.When I make my own lugs I use different size copper tubing, flatten one end and drill out the proper size hole for the stud. Sometimes with a propane torch I'll solder the wire to lug again after crimping. Keeps out corrosion again and makes a stronger connection..

• Like 2

For anyone making their own cables in the future, if you can find a store that sells the brand "Standard Motor Products", Standard makes like every terminal and lug known to man. They also make a full line of quality battery cable and battery cable shrink tube. That's what I stock at my store here and I also make cables for customers. Standard make a very good quality product too. If you are ever needing a specific terminal or lug, PM me. I can always put something in the mail or whatever.

In past years, when I made my cables, I found welders that has bad leads and used welding wire for the cables. They work better and more limp to easier handling. They also flow electricity better with less resistance. Just an FYI to look into.When I have to change out any of my vehicle cables, that's the direction I'm going.

• Like 2

5/0 is bigger than 3/0. More zeros means bigger wire. I found this after more digging over at cf: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/458856-battery-terminals.html I think that's the route I'll go. I just need to get the right lugs.

This is some what liked I did, although I used military termialts, this look as good and 40$ is half what I paid.

Also consider, automotive sound stores. They will carry a good selection of supplies that will be more than adequate for your needs. Guys coming in those stores can have some ungodly sound systems that require alot of juice! ...I used to be one of them. :lol: