• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heat Shield!

I have been running a BHAF for about 125,000 miles (maybe more) and have not had or seen any need for a heat shield. Unless you plan on running with extremely high EGTs (at that point your filter is the least of your worries) you won't need one either.

I heard something somewhere and it kinda made me think. In reality, all you might need the shield for is to keep the filter from melting or deforming from the turbo being RIGHT there. Otherwise, wouldn't you want the heat from the turbo to warm the IAT's up? I mean, that's what we are doing with the mpg fooler is telling the computer that they are warmer. Might as well give it the real thing if you don't have the fooler. Just my thoughts. Just for the record, I have been running my BHAF for about a year with no shield. All good here.

In reality, all you might need the shield for is to keep the filter from melting or deforming from the turbo being RIGHT there.

If you deform your filter from the heat you have a lot more to worry about than buying a new filter...........
  • Like 1

I made one out of some extra stainless sheet metal I had laying around. Bent it 90* and drilled holes in the bottom so that it bolted to the platform where the stock box mounted and then 90s up around the filter. I cut it so that it sits within a quarter inch of the hood when it is closed. I have touched it in the summer time on a hot day after working the truck and it has been hot to the touch so I think there could be some merit for one during the hot months.

I must interject here. Don't worry yourself over a heat shield. Although, maybe it would be worth going through any extra trouble in building a box for the filter so you can have a shroud around the exhaust manifold and then have a switch inside to divert cold or cool air to the filter via a valve.:2cents:

Yea I'm not really to concerned about the heat shield I'll just run the BHAF and check the heat after a run just to see. However the thing I'm most concerned about is cleaning my turbo after five months of having the K/N on there! It doesn't have any Pitts or anything yet. Just some oil in the compressor housing and on the silencer ring that u can wipe off with a rag. Unfortunately I'll have to remove the turbo to get the compressor housing off in order to clean it real good! Damn K/N filter!!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Building a box is not a bad idea and one I've been considering. That or find a good OEM box to put back in (mine was cracked). For every 10 degrees you can cool the intake air temp you gain 1% of your net horsepower. On a 250 horse engine that is 2.5 HP. In colder weather this probably has no bearing but in the heat of the summer on a 90+ degree day I could see the under hood temps easily reaching 30 degrees (or more) above ambient temp. If your running your engine hard under a heavy load and/or in stop and go traffic I don't think your doing it any favors at this stage of the game. JR

Heck, I took out the OEM air box and had the three studs sticking through still so I put the caps back on them. The air filter just sits on them and has not moved a bit, since! I did zip-tie on some pipe foam to the A/C line to keep it from getting rubbed on. The corner of the battery rubs the filter a little, but I'm not worried.I too had a K/N before as well from the previous owner. I did a little cleaning on the turbo, but that was really the extent of it. Been a couple years atleast now.I'd really like to be able to invest some time and money into a setup to allow the filter to receive cold or hot air. Fab a shroud to go over the manifold or part of it and then have a valve to actuate between the two, cold or hot.