• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Redneck Tonneau Cover

• Owner

I figured I would share my next mod I did to the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. I made my own tonneau cover for the bed so I can keep my stuff dry and out of the weather. I made the deck strong enough to hold a load of snow or my body weight about 200 pound.post-2-138698211244_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698211254_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698211265_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698211275_thumb.jpgIt made with CDX 1/2" plywood and 2x4's for the frame. Then covered the plywood with marine grade vinyl which my buddy do the vinyl work. (Thank You Kelly Hinkley!) So far I'm tickled to death for once I've got a bed cover and will soon be able to lock it up as well.

• Like 2

• Owner

I've got a roll of foam tape in the shop but still messing and tweaking things yet. Also I need some thin foam tape for the fold joint too. Like I bought bolts to tie the front lid to the bed rail. What will happen is that I'll drill a hole just below bed rail line and then pass a bolt through the 2x4 with fender washers that clamps to the bed rail lip. This will prevent the front lid being lifted. Then the rear lid I'm going to make a set of spring load slide pins. What will happen is you open the tailgate and reach in and pull the two pins inwards to release and then lift. Then beyond that get a tailgate lock. So far its been nice I just got home from McCall doing so basic shopping and it wonderful to place all your bags in the bed of the truck and not have plastic bags going rolling around and then blowing off somewhere. I can now leave tools in the bed of the truck and my fire gear bag as well. I've had people go as far as stealing my jumper cables and anything not nailed down in the bed of the truck.Everyone has this idea I live up the mountain everyone knows everyone which is true. But all the punk kids know where the local law enforcements is and take advantage of that. More than likely a scraper stole my cable just for the copper. Lots of scrapers up here too.post-2-138698211286_thumb.jpg

• Owner

:stuned:

Yeah I know the paint looks like crap and there is a few dents on the driver side from me throwing wood at the truck. So slowly but surely I'm working the bugs out of the little 96 Dodge Ram 1500 and trying to fix the minor issues. I know I could get a gallon of paint and reducer and shot this poor thing in no time flat but I'll wait till spring to do that. But right now I worry about function. Right now its 14*F in New Meadows, ID and getting colder. Price of diesel is 4.069 and unleaded is 3.329 of course I'll drive the gasser if the prices are that low. Now with the Redneck Tonneau Cover I build it myself, Built it strong enough to meet my requirements, etc. Something you can't get from a kit sold online or in a catalog. I've got a friend down the road from me that is trying to weigh the idea of a store bought tonneau cover vs. a home built. His requirements are a buit tough to meet as well. Capable of holding 2-3 foot of snow, capable of folding up or rolling up so the dog can ride in the bed and capable of keeping his goods dry in the bed. Another thing I learned about Dodge Ram truck the beds are not straight and not even square. They are actually tapered.

• Owner

The cover looks great though!!!

Thanks...

I learned this the hard way when I was looking for a canapy.

I learned this when I swapping my old fiberglass topper from my 1972 Dodge Power Wagon to the 2002 and it didn't fit right. The back of the canopy hung outwards off the bed rails by another 1-2 inches. Then the clamps inside barely even grabbed the topper. Kind of see it in this picture look at the tail. post-2-138698211366_thumb.jpg PS: Wow! What a time long ago when my truck was nearly stock.

Yeah I know the paint looks like crap and there is a few dents on the driver side from me throwing wood at the truck. So slowly but surely I'm working the bugs out of the little 96 Dodge Ram 1500 and trying to fix the minor issues. I know I could get a gallon of paint and reducer and shot this poor thing in no time flat but I'll wait till spring to do that.

But right now I worry about function. Right now its 14*F in New Meadows, ID and getting colder. Price of diesel is 4.069 and unleaded is 3.329 of course I'll drive the gasser if the prices are that low.

Haha, your not supposed to throw wood AT it... :lol: I know what you mean about function. Sometimes looks just cant come with a woman that can cook a good meal. :lmao: But, maybe if the day comes, you should consider lining it with a bedliner.

I'm kinda shocked fuel is still so high there for you. Yea, its out of the way from most things and all, but heck, here it is 3.80's and in CDA its about 3.60-70's. GAS is UNDER $3/gal! :ahhh:

• Owner

Haha, your not supposed to throw wood AT it...

Well When you back the truck to the wood pile and the park the wood splitter beside the truck so you split and throw in the truck bed. Occasionally you'll lose your grip mid-throw and BAM! Not quite in the truck bed and hit the bed side.

But, maybe if the day comes, you should consider lining it with a bedliner.

Already done on both trucks.

I know what you mean about function. Sometimes looks just cant come with a woman that can cook a good meal.

Personal note. I've dated many woman the biggest problem I've got is none of them can work with me. They all can cook good meals and take care of the house but need a woman that can work with me through thick and thin not run to the house and hide because its too muddy, cold, my nails broken, there is cow crap, etc.

Even MoparMom is willing to go out in the cold and work in the woods hauling firewood. :wtf:

I'm kinda shocked fuel is still so high there for you. Yea, its out of the way from most things and all, but heck, here it is 3.80's and in CDA its about 3.60-70's. GAS is UNDER $3/gal!

Now you understand why I'm the MPG guru of Dodge Cummins trucks. I have to being that everywhere I travel I have to travel at least 100 miles or more. Just to get a feel for it how about going to my northern fire meeting in Slate Creek is 36 miles one way. McCall, ID is 35 miles. Ontario, OR is 125 miles, etc. It adds up fast so if I can gain 1-2 MPG by doing a mod I'm all for it. Being that all local stores charge a arm and a leg for everything. Then if I do most of my shopping in Ontario, OR there is no sale taxes so what I saved in taxes just paid for the fuel. Then my saving in food and supplies are now truly ahead for the trip down.

Well, remember, women are the weaker vessel! :thumbup2:But I also do understand women nowadays can be pretty useless. Even some are not even useful for child bearing! :lol:Although, my wife is willing to be right there next to me for most things, I do understand and respect when she says enough is enough! Also have to consider that women can actually injure themselves in such a way through physical labor that can cause them to miscarriage and/or lose the ability to conceive! :wow:I would almost consider getting a VW diesel of some sort if I did that much driving. In fact, it will be the next vehicle I get when the time comes...

• Owner

I would almost consider getting a VW diesel of some sort if I did that much driving.

Not cost effective. Now I might of gain gas mileage but now sacrificed carry capacity for MPG's. So now where a VW will need to do 2 trip back and forth to carry the same load where the Dodge can 3-4 times the weight towing. Not to mention the extra cost insurance, maintenance, etc. This is one of the reasons I sold all the other vehicles there was no reason for keeping a vehicle I could not afford to maintain or insure.

This is one of the main reason during the summer we will take the RV and camp in Emmett, ID and allow us to do 3 days of shopping for clothes, supplies and food. I can complete load the bed of the truck and quite a bit of the floor of the RV in 3 days.

Camping out in Emmett, ID

Posted Image

The other half is safety. We see way to many people up here serious injured or kill in vehicle accidents in smaller cars. So are animal vs. vehicle and some are vehicle vs. vehicle. I would rather have a bit more roll cage around me when traveling down a highway at 65 MPH or more (Yes. I do step up the speed on fire calls). I've a got a friend with a old Datsun truck just here last night that thing is stupid small for me my head hits the roof and the seat doesn't go back far enough. But looking at the pop can truck one deer and your dead man. I've just see a Ford Explorer that was total in a 25-30 MPH head on... no good.

Well, remember, women are the weaker vessel!

I'm not superman either. What put me back as single status and never married is... The fact all my previous girl friends make the same mistake and open mouth. "Hey... Your pretty smart." The next thing that comes out is "I want to buy a new house and you going to help me pay it off!" I had one girl friend tell MoparMom sell your house and move in with her while I pay her $937 month house payments. WHAT!?!? We own our house free and clear.

The other girlfriend same thing "Wow! Your smart!" Hey you want to pay off all my debts and loans. Here move to Boise, ID and get a fancy job working computers and pay my loans off.

Like I said a wife that will work with me! I'm not going to work solely for the woman I'm not a slave.

• Owner

:punish: Most women Yes, Not all of us are weaker or useless...

Thank you Tracy. It gives me hope that there is better people in the world. Still in all living in Idaho is nothing like living in large city or some of the other rural ares of the America. Very unusual set of circumstances like living next to 2 large wilderness areas, the only highway is US95 that runs north and south. Local town charge extremely high prices for food and fuel and other services. 90% of everything you need is from a large city so that means if you travel that far you better buy more. Even locally speaking just doing jobs and fire work you always pack way more tools and supplies because running back home or to town for something you forgot is going to cost you dearly in fuel and even time. Being that 95% of the canyon is without cell service its not like you can call a friend to bring it out to you. I've got a very special circumstance I've got to live with and have been doing so for 24 years now and not complaining... I love this spot in Idaho.
  • Like 1