• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Home-based work?

hex0rz

Anyone know or do you yourself have a home-based job? I'm really trying to figure this area of occupations out as I'm having some trouble deciphering what is legitimate and what is not. I would love to be able to have a home-based job to work. It definitely would be alot easier to do, but I don't know if the majority of offers made are really just a pipe-dream!What sort of jobs would I expect in a telecommunications job?

• Owner

Depends on your computer skills and other skills you might have. Like myself I make a few bucks here and there doing web site management and computer repairs (remotely on Linux). Like after schooling myself up on the Linux side I found several ways of making a few bucks with odd jobs at least. Best part I don't have to drive anywhere now.Since the economy is so uncertain I don't rely on just one job possibility but constantly looking for other jobs. Mostly during the winter time I look more towards the computer end but come summer time I look towards truck and firewood more so. But I've been hired to much more than that like Branding cows, fencing, wildland fire fighting, etc. Like Sunday I installed a VP44 for a local gent and made a few bucks.

When I was a really young chap playing with computers when they just came out with windows 95, I was picking up on the computer thing really well. I even was building webpages writing HTML. I used to be able to troubleshoot and do pretty well, but once I started growing up and concerning myself with other things, I stopped. Ha, if I would have just kept at it, I'd probably be some fat IT guy instead.The telecommute type of work I was looking for was working for companies from home. Like, my wifes cousin works for Dell doing tech. support for them from home. Some telemarketing companies do the same, etc. These are the type of jobs I would like to do, because anything else, I'm pretty useless at, lol.Around here, I have definitely found out that it is not even worth my time or money to try and make money at firewood anymore. I have worked out the operating costs for it and what a cord of firewood goes for and I will end up making less than minimum wage!Speaking of doing the wildland, have you ever applied through the USFS? I'm trying to do that right now since the positions are open, but having a hard time navigating this mess.

Speaking of doing the wildland, have you ever applied through the USFS? I'm trying to do that right now since the positions are open, but having a hard time navigating this mess.

I worked for them a couple summers ago for my summer break from college. Good place to work but the hiring process is the most messed up thing I've ever seen. The website I think was put together by monkeys.

• Owner

I'm not fat...:tongue: Yes. I did keep up with Computers and Technology. As for big companies like you've listed like Dell and such I'm sorry I really can't do that any more after being burned by companies in California. Partial reason why I pack up with the parents and left California.As for the firewood you must be doing it wrong. :think: Even back with the truck and old trailer I could make at least $320 a trip gross. Might spend $40 in diesel fuel and barely $5-10 in saw fuel. Typically I get the customer to buy the wood permit and I'm just the legs in moving it from the forest to their front yard. Nothing more. No stacking, no splitting, etc. Just cut and haul for $160 a cord. I typically can haul out 2 cords in under 4 hours from time I leave the house to the time I deliver. Typically got a buddy with me I give a chunk of the profits to but its more like 70/30 being I provide everything else. (Food, water, truck, saws, fuels, etc.) I normally don't sell till the roads are frozen up good and tight so now the price hops to roughly $200 a cord and people will pay it. (Tricks to the madness) So this is why I bring home excessive amount to make a winter profit.As for wildland our fire dept typically signs up with USFS as for local support so as soon as a lightning strike occurs we are toned out and so is USFS. So then after (I think) 4 hours we start making a pay check from USFS. If it continues to be a large scale fire then we just continue. Made a pretty fat check off of SRRFD (USFS forest fires Electronic Site Fire & Rough Creek Fire).Like Sunday I had the VP44 install to do so another paycheck. Owner was so impressed with my work he's going to get me do to gauges and a few other mods to his truck after Christmas when the cash reserves are up.So tonight I've got a Fire Meeting to go to but I'll make it a point to strike up discussions with people and see what kind of work I can get out of it like I know I got a Laptop job for a person on the fire dept where I got to do some upgrades for him for Christmas.When I go to town to get supplies I typically make it a point to talk to certain people and see what moving and shaking for possible jobs or work that might be coming.

• Owner

I'm not fat...:tongue: Yes. I did keep up with Computers and Technology. As for big companies like you've listed like Dell and such I'm sorry I really can't do that any more after being burned by companies in California. Partial reason why I pack up with the parents and left California.As for the firewood you must be doing it wrong. :think: Even back with the truck and old trailer I could make at least $320 a trip gross. Might spend $40 in diesel fuel and barely $5-10 in saw fuel. Typically I get the customer to buy the wood permit and I'm just the legs in moving it from the forest to their front yard. Nothing more. No stacking, no splitting, etc. Just cut and haul for $160 a cord. I typically can haul out 2 cords in under 4 hours from time I leave the house to the time I deliver. Typically got a buddy with me I give a chunk of the profits to but its more like 70/30 being I provide everything else. (Food, water, truck, saws, fuels, etc.) I normally don't sell till the roads are frozen up good and tight so now the price hops to roughly $200 a cord and people will pay it. (Tricks to the madness) So this is why I bring home excessive amount to make a winter profit.As for wildland our fire dept typically signs up with USFS as for local support so as soon as a lightning strike occurs we are toned out and so is USFS. So then after (I think) 4 hours we start making a pay check from USFS. If it continues to be a large scale fire then we just continue. Made a pretty fat check off of SRRFD (USFS forest fires Electronic Site Fire & Rough Creek Fire).Like Sunday I had the VP44 install to do so another paycheck. Owner was so impressed with my work he's going to get me do to gauges and a few other mods to his truck after Christmas when the cash reserves are up.So tonight I've got a Fire Meeting to go to but I'll make it a point to strike up discussions with people and see what kind of work I can get out of it like I know I got a Laptop job for my Fire Chief where I got to do some upgrades for him for Christmas.When I go to town to get supplies I typically make it a point to talk to certain people and see what moving and shaking for possible jobs or work that might be coming.

I worked for them a couple summers ago for my summer break from college. Good place to work but the hiring process is the most messed up thing I've ever seen. The website I think was put together by monkeys.

Monkeys! ...forest fairies! :lmao: I think I may need to PM you more about it.

I'm not fat...:tongue: Yes. I did keep up with Computers and Technology. As for big companies like you've listed like Dell and such I'm sorry I really can't do that any more after being burned by companies in California. Partial reason why I pack up with the parents and left California. As for the firewood you must be doing it wrong. :think: Even back with the truck and old trailer I could make at least $320 a trip gross. Might spend $40 in diesel fuel and barely $5-10 in saw fuel. Typically I get the customer to buy the wood permit and I'm just the legs in moving it from the forest to their front yard. Nothing more. No stacking, no splitting, etc. Just cut and haul for $160 a cord. I typically can haul out 2 cords in under 4 hours from time I leave the house to the time I deliver. Typically got a buddy with me I give a chunk of the profits to but its more like 70/30 being I provide everything else. (Food, water, truck, saws, fuels, etc.) I normally don't sell till the roads are frozen up good and tight so now the price hops to roughly $200 a cord and people will pay it. (Tricks to the madness) So this is why I bring home excessive amount to make a winter profit. As for wildland our fire dept typically signs up with USFS as for local support so as soon as a lightning strike occurs we are toned out and so is USFS. So then after (I think) 4 hours we start making a pay check from USFS. If it continues to be a large scale fire then we just continue. Made a pretty fat check off of SRRFD (USFS forest fires Electronic Site Fire & Rough Creek Fire). Like Sunday I had the VP44 install to do so another paycheck. Owner was so impressed with my work he's going to get me do to gauges and a few other mods to his truck after Christmas when the cash reserves are up. So tonight I've got a Fire Meeting to go to but I'll make it a point to strike up discussions with people and see what kind of work I can get out of it like I know I got a Laptop job for a person on the fire dept where I got to do some upgrades for him for Christmas. When I go to town to get supplies I typically make it a point to talk to certain people and see what moving and shaking for possible jobs or work that might be coming.

This telecommute work stuff seems elusive.. I have met very little people who work from home for a business. But the idea is extremely appealing to me for various reasons. There is alot of people up here in the Sandpoint area that will literally sell firewood for so dirt cheap they are cutting their own throats! As well, people around here do not want to pay more than $150 or so typically. That includes all my operating costs, delivery and they expect it to split and seasoned. I have even stacked for them before as well. Price for wood does not really go up much more in the colder months when people do not have any. I have had a couple people pay $200 a cord before but its not common. I've tried different approaches at getting people to buy firewood but the biggest problem I face is their ignorance. I try and tell them this is why I do it and its better and they just look at me like a deer in the headlights and then say they are not interested. I've sat on dozens of cordwood for a year or more before just because no one wanted to buy until it was cold. :doh: I've thought about trying to deliver firewood to the Spokane area because I can ask atleast $200 a cord down there. That area still has people offering cordwood at $150 a cord, but even still, they cut their throats. I've also got to scout for wood and the dead standing is not as common as you may be finding it. I can also only go far off the road as well. It makes for a bit of a miserable time... I think I've got a surefire way to make firewood into a viable business but I think I would need darn near 1/4 million first, to make it happen, lol.

But you still have to leave the house to work... I'm mainly looking at work that can be done on the computer. Working for a call center for example is one. Or running tech support from home for Dell, etc.

Just don't resort to the "pay per minute" nudie webcam thing!!!:stuned::lmao2::lmao:
  • Like 1