• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thermostat change.

I usually drain about 1/2 gallon into a clean bucket and then do just as dripley described. If the bucket is clean then you can reuse the coolant.

I changed mine so often w while back I never had any miles on the anti freeze to worry about it being to old. It never hurts to check while you are in there however.

Keep us posted on your results...

I went on a trip 3.5 hrs one way in -10 F temps. Coolant ran between 198 and 206. I had my cardboard covering the rad. Iat was steady at 60. When idling it would cool down as low as 175 even with the fast idle on. As far as mpg's change I won't be able to tell. I've never really tracked that and my use of the truck is so varied from one day or week to the next.