• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Fastlane17

Thermostat change.

Unbolt the t-stat cover, fold back radiator hose with cover attached, replace t-stat. Reverse for assembly. You wont loose but maybe a cup of anti freeze. Be sure to let it cool of and vent any pressure before replacing.

I usually drain about 1/2 gallon into a clean bucket and then do just as dripley described. If the bucket is clean then you can reuse the coolant.

I changed mine so often w while back I never had any miles on the anti freeze to worry about it being to old. It never hurts to check while you are in there however.

What temperature range t-stat did you use? I am considering changing over to a 200 degree t-stat.

Keep us posted on your results...

I went on a trip 3.5 hrs one way in -10 F temps. Coolant ran between 198 and 206. I had my cardboard covering the rad. Iat was steady at 60. When idling it would cool down as low as 175 even with the fast idle on. As far as mpg's change I won't be able to tell. I've never really tracked that and my use of the truck is so varied from one day or week to the next.

I'm just curious about the temperature performance of the thermostat. If diesel prices wasn't so high I would be getting a 200*F and dropping it in and driving the diesel but I'm stuck driving the 96 gasser... (Cry)

If you are buying an aftermarket unit and depending on the parts store and the guys ability to cross reference you may have to ask for a Stat for a MY '11 or '12.

Edited by diesel4life