• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter Storage

Fellas, is it going to screw anything up computer wise by taking my both batteries out for a few months? I lay my truck up would like to take the batteries out and trickle charge them all winter. I store it to far away from a power source to leave them in with a trickle charger on them while in the truck

I used to pull all the batteries from our winter storage boats & we stored them indoors on shelves.  Back then there were no battery maintainers with the float function so we used trickle chargers.  Each shelf had 2 chargers working & we moved down the row every couple of days. Typically we had 100 batteries to tend.  We checked & added distilled water at beginning & end of winter storage. 

I have also used a trickle charger on my backhoe with a extension suspended (off the ground) from the barn...  where I had it on a timer, set to run 1 hour a day.  Not perfect but the best I could do.

In my truck, which can go a few weeks between uses, I've used a solar trickle sitting on the dash or wedged into the back window...  connected to the bottom always on power outlet.  

These days, I've gone over to maintainers...  they're available cheap...  and less worry about over charging.  I have one larger one & 2 small ones from Harbor Freight, plus a 6/2 trickle charger

Clean the terminals. Then coat both terminals with engine oil and assemble and tighten. Also remember to reapply the oil at every oil change. No need to remove the terminal but to be sure there is engine oil on all surfaces.

I have never heard of this trick before. I would have thought having the oil in there would cause a bad connection but maybe not. I usually just clean them up real good, bolt em down and use a good terminal protector spray afterwards. Never had a connection or corrosion issue here.

• Owner

I have never heard of this trick before. I would have thought having the oil in there would cause a bad connection but maybe not. I usually just clean them up real good, bolt em down and use a good terminal protector spray afterwards. Never had a connection or corrosion issue here.

No grease... No corrosion... Just a bit dirty.
post-2-138698182413_thumb.jpg

I used to pull all the batteries from our winter storage boats & we stored them indoors on shelves.  Back then there were no battery maintainers with the float function so we used trickle chargers.  Each shelf had 2 chargers working & we moved down the row every couple of days. Typically we had 100 batteries to tend.  We checked & added distilled water at beginning & end of winter storage. 

I have also used a trickle charger on my backhoe with a extension suspended (off the ground) from the barn...  where I had it on a timer, set to run 1 hour a day.  Not perfect but the best I could do.

In my truck, which can go a few weeks between uses, I've used a solar trickle sitting on the dash or wedged into the back window...  connected to the bottom always on power outlet.  

These days, I've gone over to maintainers...  they're available cheap...  and less worry about over charging.  I have one larger one & 2 small ones from Harbor Freight, plus a 6/2 trickle charger

I've had really good luck w Battery Tender chargers. Just move them around once in awhile. I'll try the engine oil trick on the connections, something else to do w the used oil.