• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Career change contemplated

joecool911

I'm 56 and a landscaper. My body is beginning to remind me that I work in a young mans occupation. I really don't want to expand and have employees (been there and done that). Industry wages have remIned static for 20+ years. We were getting $35 per man hour in the late 80's. That's about the average now. We've seen expenses go up over the decades, fuel is one of my biggest expenses. So between narrowing margins and the reality of my body not being able to produce what it once did, I'm looking for a bit less physical occupation. We have some investments, a couple rental homes and about $100k in total debt including our home. I'm not on a path for complete retirement. Looking for something preferably self employed that I can transition into over the next few years and then dabble in past the age of 65. I'm thinking of getting my real estate license. We are pretty active in the field as landlords and keep up on property values and deals. Our rentals will provide us around $2,000 a month net income at today's values and rent seems to keep good pace with inflation. We are pretty tapped out on money to buy more property. Taking out a loan on investment property is not sound in my opinion. At our age we want to be debt free at 65. My dilemma is concern that our economy may not be very stable and that home sales may come to a grinding halt again as interest rates creep up and inflation takes a bigger bite out of our paychecks. Do you see real estate sales as a viable self employment alternative for the next 10 years or so? I could live off of one sale a month. Not like I need to set any records of be a mover and shaker. Any input would be appreciated. I'm not very positive about the direction of our country. Very difficult to feel positive about anything these days...other than life with God when we're gone.

Personally I think once the interest rates even start to inch up a bit that real estate sales will crash and home values will go through a huge correction as well as tons of folks who have not totally pulled out from under the last housing crash are on a razors edge and if interest rates climb a few points they will lose their homes as well.Very touchy at this point but I hope I am wrong but do see it happening sooner than later.I lost my mother in Feb and my sister and I inherited a twin home from her we are renting out and are looking at selling in the next year, my sister wants the money and I want out of it as it is 20 years old and is coming up on tons of maintenance and has a bad ground water issue I don't want to deal with so I am looking into investment / retirement property in FL and I can't believe how much cheaper homes are in FL compared to here in ND, on average equivilant homes are $75-100k cheaper in FL.

Edited by Wild and Free

I can remember when homes in ND were very affordable.I hear what you're saying. On the other hand, people have been waiting for prices to recover. Sooner or later situations will require people to make a move regardless of the market. And someone has to represent the buyers of all the foreclosed properties. I don't know. I've got a mentor in his 70's with 40 years of experience. That's a plus.

Edited by joecool911

That ended 10+ years ago here. Cost of supplies and labor are extremely big expenses driving new home prices to the stratosphere, and overall demand with all the energy and related jobs have driven preowned homes values up. The same time frame has been extremely profitable for the ag industry here too which has driven land values up to all time record highs being set almost monthly second only to Iowa from what I hear and read.Entry level jobs here pretty much start at $10-15 an hour and any labor intensive job requires 18-20 to attract even subpar un-experienced employees. Any skilled trade is $25-30 to get anybody to even apply.I bought my home privately and will sell my moms twin home privately as well, I have 2 uncles who have sold several homes and rental units privately too, we are a cheap do it our selves type family, I know more and more folks going this route now days as what relators charge is getting to be astounding now too for what they do.I found a web site that I have been looking at for FL homes that specializes in private sales.I see a lot of homes in my area with signs from this site.http://www.forsalebyowner.com/Here is another site I have been using to look.http://www.landsofamerica.com/landsconnector/grit/

Edited by Wild and Free

Yeah, I don't want to be a bubble burster, but IMHO, I do not the real estate is anything where it is at. I'm surprised people are still trying to pursue being a realtor! I cannot for the moment find the article, but it said that applications for a new home are at some stupid low... I don't want to turn you off to it or anything, but just telling you what I have seen and think...

I dunno how you feel, but I take a big interest in honey bees. They are needed very badly all over the world and people are paying good money to beekeepers that can do pollination contracts. From what I read recently, Canada needs bees really bad.

I'm hoping to get my feet wet this spring with some bees and see if its something I can make out of it...

• Owner

Yeah, I don't want to be a bubble burster, but IMHO, I do not the real estate is anything where it is at. I'm surprised people are still trying to pursue being a realtor! I cannot for the moment find the article, but it said that applications for a new home are at some stupid low... I don't want to turn you off to it or anything, but just telling you what I have seen and think...

I dunno how you feel, but I take a big interest in honey bees. They are needed very badly all over the world and people are paying good money to beekeepers that can do pollination contracts. From what I read recently, Canada needs bees really bad.

I'm hoping to get my feet wet this spring with some bees and see if its something I can make out of it...

Highly suggest yo go over to Tractor Farm and Family and talk to Randy the Admin over there. He's also a bee keeper and could help you out a bunch on getting started.

• Like 1

• Staff

One thing I know is the older you get the more important it is to stay physically active. Not having a sedentary occupation will keep you healthier,  younger.

I have been a working contractor, remodeling and new constn., since 1977. I am 62 now and plan on staying with it even longer because I love it even more now that I am selective about the type of jobs I take. This way I get more rest and travels between contracts. Slowing down balancing work and play makes everything more enjoyable. If something is difficult I hire help for making it reasonable on me.

You will notice the older you are how utterly important it is to have things to do that make you stay active.

So I build things since I get such a charge of energy for the work I forget all about the little aches and pains.

Make sure whatever you do make sure that you love doing it too.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Kind like myself. I usually look forward to the winter time because the heavy duty work is over and I can stay home more. Then this winter there isn't any snow really to speak off here. So my daily activity of shoveling snow and plowing driveways is no happening so I'm getting lazy and sore. So to make up for this I've been out splitting firewood to stay active. I gotta admit it sure does help in keeping you going feeling better and not as sore feeling.

I understand. I have active hobbies. Hunting and I have packgoats for packing gear. I'd spend more time working them on hikes. I am about 300#. Been overweight my entire life. It's been hard this fall/winter to stay active and I made a pledge to get my weight down and do conditioning before next hunting season. But my hip doesn't allow me to get to an arobic speed. After surgery and recovery, I'm going to hit it hard! But because of my work, people are amazed at the ground I can cover. Not uncommon to do 8 miles a day while hunting. Elevation gain is harder. My conditioning a work is all flat. At any rate. I do plan on a transition. Cut back to my most profitable customers and allow for about half time work elsewhere. I can push myself harder on half the work and get a good workout.

• Like 1

Gonna turn 50 this coming April………………just got back from cutting up and loading my truck up with some future firewood.  I do agree that the older you get the more there is a NEED for you to remain active so you don't LOSE what you have. 

I guess I'm lucky though, I've never had a problem with weight………..except keeping it on!!!!  I still wear the same sized clothes I did in high school.  Granted, the body parts have re-modeled and look a bit different, but still the same………………5'11", and 180lbs.

Granted, the body parts have re-modeled and look a bit different...

HAHA!

I understand. I have active hobbies. Hunting and I have packgoats for packing gear. I'd spend more time working them on hikes. I am about 300#. Been overweight my entire life. It's been hard this fall/winter to stay active and I made a pledge to get my weight down and do conditioning before next hunting season. But my hip doesn't allow me to get to an arobic speed. After surgery and recovery, I'm going to hit it hard! But because of my work, people are amazed at the ground I can cover. Not uncommon to do 8 miles a day while hunting. Elevation gain is harder. My conditioning a work is all flat. At any rate. I do plan on a transition. Cut back to my most profitable customers and allow for about half time work elsewhere. I can push myself harder on half the work and get a good workout.

Well, it does not sound like your weight affects you too bad... Not alot of people can say they go out and hike in the mountains hunting. Indeed, we are a rare breed.

I dunno if you truly are overweight like you say... Obviously there are different medical things to classify you as such as body fat % and BMI, etc.

If you are looking to lose some weight and getting back into that class again that your looking for and not wanting to do it with just exercise, look into a juicing fast. Believe me when I say it, I love eating meat and all the "Macro" foods there is. But after watching:

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

I could not believe the transformation! Since then, I have gone a little different route from what he does. I supplement my diet as such with a daily juicing every morning. I use a Nutri Bullet instead of an actual juice extractor. I think its better to get the fiber, etc. from the whole food instead of just the juice!

It may not be your type of thing, but if you watch the documentary, it may just change your mind!

Highly suggest yo go over to Tractor Farm and Family and talk to Randy the Admin over there. He's also a bee keeper and could help you out a bunch on getting started.

Thanks, Mike! I just may end up doing it. I know I'm going to need to bounce my experiences off of someone knowledgable as I go along. I was considering registering at beesource.com. I've already got my PPE, and smoker, hive working tools, etc. I just need to get my hives built and order the bees!

That's one of the reasons I'm slowing my work (occupation) load down, is so that I can do what I want, when I want……………………while I still can do it physically!!  I'm looking to work on an essentially part time basis now.  

How many stories have y'all heard of guys retiring at 65, or whatever, and then dying within a year because they became couch potatoes and had no hobbies or outside interests?????  

Stay active.  

HAHA!

You laugh now…………….but wait!!!!!

I still have that Schwarzeneggerian physique I had years ago……………………………but most of it's settled around my waist……………..even though I'm still the same weight, and such from when I graduated high school.

Funny thing though……………..my legs are skinnier than when I was younger.