• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

W&f, Check Your Water!

hex0rz

lol, all the same retoric from the makers of Gasland and Gasland II that has all been discredited and proven false.

Not to mention that natural gas has been present in well water supplies around the world long before oil extraction or fracking were even a dream.

Most native american tribes talk of  flamable water from hundreds of years ago.

Plus I live about 70 miles give or take from the closest oil well but it is getting closer.

I read about it already a couple days ago on a local political blog I read daily.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/video-man-claiming-to-be-in-north-dakota-lights-tap-water-on-fire/

I have 2 water sources at my house, I have a well 285 feet deep I don't use much except watering plants and garden and i have rural water that I use for the house but I have it running through a filter system to remove chlorine and Floride and other added chemicals. Both supplies run into the house and I only need to switch 2 ball valves to switch the house from one supply to another.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

I just watched it in slow motion and if you look at it at the 23-24 second mark you can see it looks to be the methane from the sewer vapors that iginte rather than the water, the flames shoot up out of the drain which everyone knows that sewer gas is methane gas and why you do not thaw out frozen sewer vents on your roof with a torch or anything else that will cause the gases to ignite.

Could be the propane line teed into the water valve in the basement as well like they did in Gasland.

Edited by Wild and Free

:duh:  Yea, I read it a little more and they were blaming this on the oil fields...

Then I read some more stuff and found out that it was what your speaking of...

I've got a neat little filter setup that I'm gonna start running when funds allow, as I have to build it!

I have a question concerning this...   My parents have well water and then run it through a water softener and the water doesn't build up on anything.  At my place, city water...it builds up on the shower curtain and stuff so you gotta constantly clean it off.  Is there something cheap and easy (I can't install anything over the top being just an apartment that I don't "own") that I can put in to fix it?

I have a question concerning this...   My parents have well water and then run it through a water softener and the water doesn't build up on anything.  At my place, city water...it builds up on the shower curtain and stuff so you gotta constantly clean it off.  Is there something cheap and easy (I can't install anything over the top being just an apartment that I don't "own") that I can put in to fix it?

There are lots of companies that make faucet and shower head filter units that just thread in line, we used to use these until we got a filter setup plumbed into the drinking faucets only not a whole house which Is my next jump.

• Like 1

The water softener does just that, prevents hard water buildup. Its a friggin' losing battle, I tell ya... There are products out there that you can install, but I do not have any off the top of my head. Best thing is get a good cleaning product that cleans the buildup. CLR is a good one, IIRC.

I knew the softener fixes it but I can't install one here.  I think I might just continue cleaning.  I am a clean freak so it never gets to the point of needing CLR.  My walls are probably cleaner than Willy Wonka's wallpaper. 

• Staff

To prevent the plumbing vent freezup and getting clogs the county makes the plumber increase the size of the vent pipe up one or two sizes inside the attic or wall before going thru the roof. That's code for very colder areas.

• Like 1

In the ND oil fields with the shortage of housing there are farmers renting out old abandon houses and buildings that have been vacant for decades and for a lot of money to boot, so being up to code in that area is not something that is even a remote factor.

• Staff

In the ND oil fields with the shortage of housing there are farmers renting out old abandon houses and buildings that have been vacant for decades and for a lot of money to boot, so being up to code in that area is not something that is even a remote factor.

My experience as a contractor/ builder/ carpenter since 77 tells me a lot about how renters and landlord attitudes differ. The biggest complaining/ problem renters, seem to have those landlords that are only concerned with always cutting corners.

On the other hand, I've met landlords that really do take care and seem to have the happiest most 'payinest' renters.

There's always the exception, but the most successful rental empire landlords are those that show good will toward those living there. Good will breeds more good will passed on down the line.

Edited by JAG1

I have been the landlord for my moms twin home as a rental for 11 years and in that time have had only 2 renters the current ones have been in it for 8 years, the first ones were in it for 3 years and he retired from the RR and moved to a condo instead were they didn't have to move snow or mow grass.

• Like 1

I can't speak for other areas of the country where I know oil and gas extraction takes place fairly shallow like within a few hundred feet of the surface where well water aquafers are.

As for here in North Dakota the fracking is happening at around 2 miles deep about 10K feet and many layers of rock below typical well water sources not to mention the wells are cased and sealed something CSM can chime in on more than me as this is his expertise.