• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Edge Products Or Actual Guages?

So I've been looking at the Edge products, and have noticed that depending on which one you decide to get some come with built in gauges as an added bonus. So my question is are these gauges reliable enough to just use them or should you just go on ahead and get the actual gauges? If they are reliable my view is if I decided to get a Edge product with gauges then why spend the $300.00 + dollars to get actual gauges! Just my thoughts. Opinions welcomed, and appreciated in advance.

I believe I would say the difference would be the electrical vs. mechanical gauges.

The edge will use an electric sender, and you have a choice between mechanical or electric readings if you install both.

the sender that is used I would be sure to research if installing Edge. I am not familiar with the edge so I cannot recommend either over the other.

mechanical gauges have less to go wrong and are very basic. the pyro and oil pressure are generally preferred in mechanical.

If you get a mechanical oil gauge think about getting enough 1/8 th in copper line for the install as they are heat resistant

and do not get brittle like the plastic. Also you can buy enough to route it the way you wish.

other than that I believe it is preference, the Edge reader should be just as accurate as another, and more accurate than a cheap set of gauges.

Edited by eddielee

I had a Banks tuner on mine came with a boost and EGT gauge. They both worked thru the tuner. When the tuner went south i lost both gauges. That is one drawback I see. I will put probably an Edge Comp on mine later this year but I will always have gauges no matter what I do since installing a set of stand alone gauges.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

I tend to stay away from package deals so when module gives up you'll still have your own gauges (Fuel pressure, boost and EGT's). I've seen far too many time where a module failed and the driver looses his gauges then takes a risk of high EGT's while towing or other wise.

With a separate module and gauges then if something happens like Dripley just unplug the module and continue on with your stand-alone gauges but like Dripley when his died it took the gauges as well and I know he tows heavy.

Modular designs are much safer than packaged designs.

• Like 1

Most of the readings for the Edge pull from the OBDII.  You have a sensor for the fuel lift pump pressure and have to drill for the pyro. My 01 has a trans sensor that I installed but it will also give you a temp reading from the OBDII also. But like everybody else says, if the monitor goes out you lose all. Not a lot of sensors to go bad.

• Owner

Well its been brought to my attention that the boost gauge of the Edge Juice using the MAP sensor vs. Mechanical are not close at higher pressures say above 25 PSI or so the Juice slows down and the mechanical gauge is going higher faster. So the upper scale accuracy of the MAP sensor can be questionable.

Fuel pressure sensor tend to fail to water hammer issues mostly. So after a period of time the fuel pressure gauge vs. mechanical tend to skew either hi or lo depending on the damage to the sensor.

Ok first off thanks to everyone for there opinion's in this question of mine. I would think that the Edge gauges would not be as accurate as mechanical since the mechanical gauges are hard wired in directly into the source to get there readings where as the Edge product is just all electronic which we all know there can be numerous issues there. Guess I'll continue my gauge hunt then. I did notice that Abennin said he has had his Edge JWA for 7 years with out any issues which helps reassure me that if I do get an Edge product they seem to be pretty reliable! I think once I get the funds I'll get the Edge Comp good price on that one.

I have a Edge JWA, it has been on the truck going on 7 years soon.  No problems to date.

I had the same thing on my '01.  It took a dump..  well, the display did.  So the JWA was still working, but I couldn't monitor anything..

That was a problem, IMHO.

• Owner

I tend to find that a analog display is easier on the eyes being you just get use the direction of the pointer and know where everything is at pressure wise or temp wise. Digital displays are nice for absolute number but you tend to lag longer looking at digital displays than looking a analog needle. Digital with absolute numbers make it great for diagnostic reasons but analog is better for daily driving.

Old school trick is take a rotate you gauges so your red line of the gauge has the pointer straight up. This doesn't look very eye pleasing but for racing world it works awesome because at a quick glance you can look for any needles pointing up knowing that you hit your redline of that gauge.