• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bhaf For Mpg

it did for me. i have the smaller Napa 6637 one. my average went up about 1/2 to one mpg. turbo spools faster, i can hear it spool now too. the stock airbox is known for leaking.

I think .5-1 mpg gain is negligible and difficult to measure whether or not a product produces those results. It would definitely need to be done in a very controlled environment to prove that it does indeed create such a gain, IMHO.

The BHAF, from what I can gather, is not so much about performance or mileage gain, but more about reliability and longevity.

• Like 2

Good to know.  I just got the truck and someone had just put a K&N filter in it I'd say in the last 10K miles.  I want it gone soon, but wasn't sure I want to spend 60 -80 on a filter.  Are both of the Napa filters a direct fit (minus the airbox removal of course)?

AP

I think .5-1 mpg gain is negligible and difficult to measure whether or not a product produces those results. It would definitely need to be done in a very controlled environment.

I know I was getting 15.4 on a regular basis then it jumped to 16.2 for several tanks. That's enough for me to say it helped.

I'm going to call Napa today.  I know that Wix and Napa gold are the same filters, just re-boxed. It will come down to price at the local store, and if I can get the plans for Mikes shield to work, I'll cut it on a CNC plasma. 

Thanks for all of the replies. 

I think .5-1 mpg gain is negligible and difficult to measure whether or not a product produces those results. It would definitely need to be done in a very controlled environment to prove that it does indeed create such a gain, IMHO.

The BHAF, from what I can gather, is not so much about performance or mileage gain, but more about reliability and longevity.

100% Truth

• Like 2

I'm going to call Napa today.  I know that Wix and Napa gold are the same filters, just re-boxed. It will come down to price at the local store, and if I can get the plans for Mikes shield to work, I'll cut it on a CNC plasma. 

Thanks for all of the replies. 

Ebay is your friend. I got my BHAF at Ebay for $51 shipped.

Edited by Kotta390

• Staff

If an air filter gives you better economy when you are cruising there was something seriously wrong with the previous setup. Look at how little air the engine uses at cruise, vs pulling a grade with the turbo at 25-30 psi.

The mileage increase might be from warmer air, but that's a double edge sword as hotter air is good for mileage when empty but bad for turbo performance when towing.

• Like 2

I didnt see much if any mileage improvement when I put my filter on. The biggest thing at this moment for AGPTurbo I think would be to get that KN filter out of there. They are no good. I like the BHAF because it eliminates the stock air box and because of the increased filtering area it lasts a lot longer than the stock filter.

I opted out of building a shield for mine because the majority of the year where I live is below 60 degrees. If I towed real heavy like some of these other guys on a regular basis, I would probably look into it. That would depend on how much it would drop the egt's though.

• Owner
but that's a double edge sword as hotter air is good for mileage when empty but bad for turbo performance when towing.

I don't sweat that either since ISX already done the measurement for BHAF intake temperature and typically at highway speed the BHAF temperature will be roughly +2*F to +5*F over outside which equates out to +1*F difference at the IAT sensor.

Roughly calculating... 100*F day, 70% efficiency of the Turbo, 100 or 105*F intake temp. 30 PSI of boost at 13.0 PSIa

105* Intake -> 430*F out of turbo -> 133*F out of Intercooler.

100* Intake -> 422*F out of turbo -> 132*F out of intercooler.

Still within operational standard.

Even going hard.

120*F (+20*F over outside) -> 454*F(turbo) -> 135*F (intercooler)

Middle of winter. Roughly calculating... 0*F day, 70% efficiency of the Turbo, 0*F intake temp. 30 PSI of boost at 13.0 PSIa

0* Intake -> 265*F out of turbo -> 27*F out of intercooler. Way to cold for optimal burning of fuel for a daily driver.

These calculation are really close to actual seen at least on my ScanGauge II.

Here is other video examples...

• Staff

I didn't think that ISX tested it while heavy towing did he? Highways under hood temps are much lower than pulling a grade.

I know my underhood temps were up to 125° hotter than the ambient temp after pulling a 2-3 mile grade at 1100° on a 85° day, and the thermostat full open (that alone made the temp go up again). That is all with manifold blankets that are keeping most of the manifold heat in the manifold.

The turbo efficiency is what is decreased, and by the time your at the intercooler you won't see it. The turbo will be spinning faster than needed, which lowers the efficiency.

• Owner

I didn't think that ISX tested it while heavy towing did he? Highways under hood temps are much lower than pulling a grade.

I know my underhood temps were up to 125° hotter than the ambient temp after pulling a 2-3 mile grade at 1100° on a 85° day, and the thermostat full open (that alone made the temp go up again). That is all with manifold blankets that are keeping most of the manifold heat in the manifold.

The turbo efficiency is what is decreased, and by the time your at the intercooler you won't see it. The turbo will be spinning faster than needed, which lowers the efficiency.

Yea he covered that too...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/5781-bhaf/?view=findpost&p=64754

I've ran the numbers and had a temperature probe on the air filter and the highest I saw on a hill pulling the trailer at 100F was 20 over (120F). After plugging in all the numbers, you end up with a 0.5% gain in air mass in the cylinder when compared with what a cold air intake would provide (100F air). As a reference, 0F - 100F ambient changes air mass by 21%... In other words, because of the intercooler, the cold air intake and heat shield stuff is null and void. You will never notice a 0.5% increase plus that is only under high load conditions, most of the time I was only seeing a 10-15F rise and in the winter I saw almost no rise over ambient. Even if the temp was 50F over ambient, it's still only 1.5% more air mass. It's all because of the intercooler. I know a lot of guys run heat shields and stuff and I'm not trying to say they are bad I'm just throwing the numbers out there. There could be something to how much boost is produced with hot air vs. colder air within the turbo. But turbo efficiency has more to do with it than anything IMO.

• Staff

There is something not correct with his data, it's doesn't make any logical sense.

Nearly all of the air going into the engine bay crosses the intercooler, a/c condenser and radiator, it's then heated by the 200° block, 1000°+ exhaust manifold, and 400°+ charge air pipe. A BHAF pulls nearly all of it's air from that same engine bay, a small amount comes from the hole in the fender.

How are you only going to see a +20° rise? It's not going to happen, that's how.

With my sealed box, pulling air from only outside the engine bay I see a 15° rise over ambient 4" after the filter when pulling a grade. With a temp probe on the outside of the box it is 125° over ambient, and that is believable 20° is not.

Well, looks ike my local Napa will be 46.08 for the 2790 and 34.08 for the 6637.  I'm going to look under the hood and check things out tonight. Thanks guys.

AP

Damn your Napa must be generous. Mine was right about this price when I last checked.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Air-Filter-Gold-Air-Filter/_/R-FIL6637_0006473389