• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Passenger Side Headlight Dim

The headlight on the passenger side is dim on both high and low beam. Driver side is fine. Tried several new bulbs and even switched them from side to side to double check. I've cleaned every ground I can find, even looked under the dash, but nothing seems to make a difference. This is a 2 headlight system, not the quad setup.

Any thoughts on this? I can't afford to lose anymore hair.

I have a full 12 volts at the passenger side plug with it unplugged from the light. Once I plug it into the light, it drops down by 4 or 5 volts at each wire. When I replaced the pigtails, I cut the harness back a few inches from the corroded connectors and didn't see any corrosion under the insulation.

Fuse is fine and the relay is ok as well.

Remember there is 2 grounds and 1 positive to the stock head socket.

There's one of my issues. I've got red, purple,and black. The manual says to check the z3 ground circuit but isn't clear on the location of the ground points.

Looking at the 2001 Ram manual on page 959, I'm guessing that the vt/wt wire is ground on low beam and the rd/or wire is ground on high.

• Owner

Yeah but here is the catch.

+12 Volts -> L & R Head Fuse -> L & R Headlight -> Dimmer Switch (switching grounds) -> Headlight Switch -> Ground

So typically if there is a dim light its a head light fuse because the ground circuit will back feed power to the blown fuse side. Fuse have been known to crack and not appear blown and the only way to test them is with a DVM. If it was a bad ground then both light would be dim being the head lights are switch off at the ground not the power.

• Like 1

Yeah but here is the catch.

+12 Volts -> L & R Head Fuse -> L & R Headlight -> Dimmer Switch (switching grounds) -> Headlight Switch -> Ground

So typically if there is a dim light its a head light fuse because the ground circuit will back feed power to the blown fuse side. Fuse have been known to crack and not appear blown and the only way to test them is with a DVM. If it was a bad ground then both light would be dim being the head lights are switch off at the ground not the power.

That makes sense. I tested the fuses with my DVM but I'll check them again. I did notice that with the headlights on when I pulled the fuse for the right headlight nothing happened to either light, but when I pulled the fuse for the left headlight they both went out.

• Owner

Left headlight fuse is powering both light.

Right headlight fuse or circuit is dead. Pull the fuse and ohm it out and make sure its 0 ohms. Or test it on voltage and ground your black lead and touch the test pins on the fuse and check for voltage on both sides of the fuse. If power is on one side and not the other then the fuse is blown.

• Like 1

Checked the fuses again and found they were both good. Did find that there was 12 volts going through the fuse but not making good contact in the PDC connection on the way out to the headlight. Got it cleaned and tightened up and all is good now.

The backfeed thing burned me on this one. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
3 minutes ago, SecondGen said:

My issue is a dim drivers light. If I pull the fuse for the passenger headlight I lose both. I’ve replaced both fuses and checked my connection on the bulb, even installed a new switch.. where might my issue be?

I would double check all grounds under the hood in front of driver battery especialy and there is also a ground terminal block under driver side kick panel. 

I have taken the grounds off, cleaned them and put some bulb grease on them. Checked both fuses and have power flowing through both fuses. Now for what confuses me, if I pull the fuse to the drivers side nothing happens and both lights stay on (passenger side at full power and drivers still dim) but when I pulled the passenger headlight fuse I lost both headlights (the drivers one is the one I’m having problems with) but when I check with my test light I still have power to the drivers headlight plug but it won’t light the bulb.