• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anybody Rebuild Their Own Engines?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference between the (98.5-2000) & (2001-2002) was one had the cam sensor and the other had the crank sensor. I don't know if those are interchangeable or not

My 99 service manual shows they had both cam and crank sensors

2001 has no crank sensor. I wonder if the 2001 still has the sensor part on the crank, so if you did a 2001 engine swap into a earlier truck you could just add the block mounted sensor ?

Edited by GSP7

well i started last night taking the bumper and bumper guard off, that took some time. but i started taking everything off today. taking my time and putting everything in marked Baggies so i dont have a hard time remembering where everything goes or having to go to the book every ten minutes. . can somebody tell me what i have to do to separate it from the transmission. do i have to drop the trans too? i have been taking pics so maybe  they can help some one who has never done this before like me. also i noticed some oil in my turbo cooler tube and on the face of the turbo. should i be worried or is it from the blow-by?

first thing is to wash it get all that blow-by oil off

post-1729-0-01030500-1391750839_thumb.jp  

post-1729-0-28012500-1391751003_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-01030500-1391750839_thumb.jp 

post-1729-0-63571900-1391750924_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-09389300-1391751059_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-92222500-1391751096_thumb.jp

Usually oil on the compressor wheel is caused by using oiled filters. Was the original foam one oiled? To check shaft play grab the nut on the intake side and try to lift up, down, in, and out. Also, inspect and see if the compressor wheel has been hitting the housing at all. If it is exceptionally loose your turbo probably needs some new bearings. 

to  answer your original  question... Yes,  the  trans  can  stay behind.     You  have to block it  up,   Don't forget that it's  blocked up and  try to  move  the  truck later!  (have the  truck  pretty much  where you want it  for  the  duration)

blow by  doesn't  go  through the  intake system.  Your  downstream oil  of the turbo (in the  cooler)  is  coming  from  the  turbo itself,   (seals are  bad)     I've  seen  extremely  plugged  air filters  that  would  make so much  vacuum, that it would  overcome the  seals  and   deposit  oil  into the  air stream... (but the  engine barely ran anyway).   

A  lightly oiled   filter  won't put  that much  oil  in  the  cooler..   

I've seen   terribly worn  valve  guides  put     oil  back into the  intake.   but  that was  on  naturally  aspirated   diesel.  

I  vote  on the  turbo bearing and seal

Edited by rancherman

I ran  K&N on mine for a while and thats exactly what mine looked like.

other than  some  discoloration on  the  wheel,    I  can't  make out  if it's  actually  'wet'???      :shrug:     

He   said  something  about    oil  found in the cooling  part of the  system,  I assumed  the  charge cooler???  (pardon my  "PERKINSese' )

>Aftercooler>  for  the  rest of the  crowd..

Geez,  just how much oil  is  put  in those   loaded filters??     shoot,  I  got  an  old  JD  with  OIL BATH   filter,   and  never had any   sucked  into the   intake...  (I'll admit,  its  all  'uphill'  on  a  JD to the  intake,    whereas  our  cummins  is level-to-downhill  to the  turbo) 

other than  some  discoloration on  the  wheel,    I  can't  make out  if it's  actually  'wet'???      :shrug:     

He   said  something  about    oil  found in the cooling  part of the  system,  I assumed  the  charge cooler???  (pardon my  "PERKINSese' )

>Aftercooler>  for  the  rest of the  crowd..

Geez,  just how much oil  is  put  in those   loaded filters??     shoot,  I  got  an  old  JD  with  OIL BATH   filter,   and  never had any   sucked  into the   intake...  (I'll admit,  its  all  'uphill'  on  a  JD to the  intake,    whereas  our  cummins  is level-to-downhill  to the  turbo) 

Mine was a little sticky rather than wet. I wiped a good bit of mine off with a rag soaked in brake cleaner. But the picture could be my turbo. I did not have the same residue in the pipe to the inter cooler, or if there was any i could not feel it. I did on several occasions re oil the filter without cleaning it while in the filter box. K&N recommended in the instructions I believe. 

sorry i should of said it better . the oil is in the tube going to the cooler. i'll take some pics tomorrow to show you guys. i didn't get to work on it today. but will get it out this weekend so i can get it to the machine shop monday 

If you mean the intercooler, than yes you really should clean it out. If there is oil in it, there is a chance of it causing a run away engine. If it is just a little damp then I wouldnt really worry about it but if there is actual oil, needs cleaned. You wouldnt want a run away on your fresh rebuild.

I remember helping my dad rebuild his 62 ford falcon pickup. My first major auto repair experience. I washed a lot of parts! I was probably 12 years old. If you have any kids, time to get them involved. By high school my buddies and I did our first automatic transmission. That didn't work out so well. But we did a lot of work like vavle jobs on rigs pre emissions. We were pretty capable for high school kids.

I remember helping my dad rebuild his 62 ford falcon pickup. My first major auto repair experience. I washed a lot of parts! I was probably 12 years old. If you have any kids, time to get them involved. By high school my buddies and I did our first automatic transmission. That didn't work out so well. But we did a lot of work like vavle jobs on rigs pre emissions. We were pretty capable for high school kids.

well i finally got the engine out. gonna call the machine shop tomorrow to see when i can bring it down and  ask if he wants me to tear it down before i bring it. i do want to take the head off to see the pistons. i wanted to ask you guys. my brother told me a trans shop told him to change his stock torque converter to a HD one on his dodge. that the stock one takes a dump. have you guys heard of this and if so what converter should i use. i don't want to have to separate the motor and trans again. also if this was your motor what rebuild kit would you use and is there any mods you would do to it. i only plan on pulling my car trailer, camping trailer, and dump trailer.