• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard Start After A Couple Days

My truck starts hard after a couple days of sitting, like I ran out of fuel. I read somewhere about a loose fitting or something that can cause this but can't find the thread now. Is it possible the fass is bleeding off pressure? I don't see any leaks or weeping anywhere.

Two BRAND NEW batteries. I will check the fitting at back of block.

It's not a fitting it is a rubber hose. On my 12V truck I would need about 12" of 5/16 hose and about 12" of 1/4" hose to fix the leaks. You won't always see a leak but they can admit a small amount of air.

I had the same issue with mine. Replacing the sealing washers on the return off the back of the head and the orings in the return tee(where the two return lines join) stopped mine from doing it. When mine would hard start I could bump the starter and let it cycle once or twice and it would start no problem. From what I read here and elsewhere was that air getting into the system would allow fuel to flow back into the fuel tank from the high pressure side. I always figured if my lift pump can push fuel thru the VP that air in the system could let some of it out. I do know it sure fixed mine. 

Another thing I tried was parking the truck in a nose down position to elevate the tank and the few times I had some where to do that it seemed to work. No hard start when parked that way any how.

Not saying this is definitely the problem, but it did fix mine.

Edited by dripley

Have you tried cycling the lift pump? Just bump the starter(no engine start) and let the lift pump run. It runs for about 25 seconds. When mine was having the problem this would help a lot. Sometimes I would have to do it twice.

I did not see any weeping at the head on mine either, but did have leaking at the return tee. When I took the return line off the back off the head the rubber sealing washers were hard. They looked like a regular washer and hard as a brick. I had to look at them with a bright light to be able to see the rubber, couldn't feel it with my fingers.