• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Upgrade?

Ok guys, I posted over in the CR forum about my brother putting a new turbo on his 05. So I am thinking about buying his he351cw from him, but I have a few questions. First off what is a fair price? 130xxx miles on it no shaft play. Second is it worth it for my second gen? My egts get out of hand quickly with the comp and smarty stacked. Will this cool them down very well? I can use his old down pipe if it will work. What adapters will I need for the oil input, oil return, exhaust manifold ect. When I tow heavy I turn the comp off and run the smarty on 9. Will this be enough fuel to spool the turbo? Any input is appreciated. Remember I'm in college and I'm on a budget! 

You'll have plenty of fuel to spool it. You might have to call someone to get a good answer. I've read about successful swaps on the other forums and I want to say jkidd from diesel auto power (DAP) might have some good info and parts. I seem to remember JOHNFAK on this forum saying this swap is better than a hybrid.

It's a good upgrade to the 2nd gen trucks. I just read an article on Diesel power mag about turbos and upgrading. The HE351 is very comparable to the ATS Aurora 3000. As for parts you will need the outlet pipe to the inter cooler I think I've seen them on cummincperformanceparts.com for $125 and free shipping. The oil line fits I believe but you may need to re clock the turbo get the oil line to line up where it needs to be. You will need his down pipe to make it easier.

Longest thread ever!!!!  :banghead:  I read through a bunch of it. I want to clock the turbo so it looks professional. I hate the way the outlet is a 12 o'clock on that truck. Building the mount for the wastegate should be fun though....

• Staff

150-350$ is the range. I sold mine with 56K miles for about 300.

I realize you are on a budget but you would be wise to have it rebuilt prior to installing, and at the same time I would have the turbine wheel changed to a larger one. The he351 turbine is not matched for the flow of the compressor and is a cork in the exhaust. It's less that a 1k to have it rebuilt with OEM parts and a larger wheel put in.

You will also need a plug for the WG port and an adjustable boost elbow.

Only difference to what john said is I wouldn't spend the 1k on having it rebuilt ... At that point you'd be better getting into a 62/65/12 ....my 2 cents

since you don't have the fuel or clutch fir over 500hp the he351cw would be a good match and $300 for good condition under 100k miles

Are you asking for a second gen or 3rd gen? For a second gen the super B is a good all around turbo upgrade from stock and can easily be twinned in the future. I ran a super B on my 02 with 90 hp BD injectors and you had to watch the temps a bit but not bad, I would stay at or under 90 hp injectors with this turbo. I think I dynoed at around 450 hp and 750 tq with this combo with stock manifolds and an edge comp. Man that was a long time ago.

Killer B would be a bit much turbo for decent daily driver on a second gen and towing but can be twinned up too.

Edited by Wild and Free

Are you asking for a second gen or 3rd gen? For a second gen the super B is a good all around turbo upgrade from stock and can easily be twinned in the future. I ran a super B on my 02 with 90 hp BD injectors and you had to watch the temps a bit but not bad, I would stay at or under 90 hp injectors with this turbo. I think I dynoed at around 450 hp and 750 tq with this combo with stock manifolds and an edge comp. Man that was a long time ago.

Killer B would be a bit much turbo for decent daily driver on a second gen and towing but can be twinned up too.

Sorry for not specifying!This was for the second gen 02. Great info. I might buy my brothers and re-sell it to make some money to buy a turbo that bolts on without any modification. Sounds like the super B would be best for me (stock injectors). Do you think it would spool well with just the Smarty? Or would I need the fuel from the comp to get it to light

Thanks again for the input!

I remember reading that article! Very good info in it. Thanks for the post.

It might be a bit slow with just a smarty but it could perform ok I can't give accurate info there having not had a smarty when I had that turbo. Since you have a manual it might be ok for you, with an auto I would say it would be lazy with stock Injectors and a smarty.

I wonder if 100 injectors and the smarty would be a good combo for towing???

I would watch the egts close with 100 hp injectors with a super B, anything less would be ok unless you had free flowing intake and exhaust manifolds to help a bit.

Hmm so many options!! What would be a good turbo size to compound that one with? Are there any easy "kits" to bolt up with the killer B?

Killer b is almost too much turbo in compounds for a vp44. If your thinking twins I'd start with the Super B as bill said .... lots of options later and it will support 450hp+ as a single

A Super B over a s400 frame 72mm or 75mm probably get you 600-650 hp which is about as far as the vp44 will fuel

Edited by JOHNFAK
  • Like 1

Killer b is almost too much turbo in compounds for a vp44. If your thinking twins I'd start with the Super B as bill said .... lots of options later and it will support 450hp+ as a single

A Super B over a s400 frame 72mm or 75mm probably get you 600-650 hp which is about as far as the vp44 will fuel

Thanks for the replies. Do you have any idea how the super B would do egt wise with a smarty/comp stack?