• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man is on his way to California...

Where they in pickups?

Are you talking about the 350 converted? Can't be much better ;-)

The 6.2L and 6.5L were used from 1982 through 2000.

Far as the 350 being converted: The only thing the 5.7L diesel shared with the 5.7L gas was tranny bolt patterns and motor mounts. Other than that they were completely different engines. If you were working on both and only looking at the crank from the underside you would see very little similarities.

• Owner

Well sorry I was in a hurry to split and forgot my camera. But we managed to get it off the trailer and look it over and very please with our purchase. It's going to work out to be a excellent Fast Attack Fire Truck. I'll update with information when I get it I'm just scattered brained yet. Still trying to catch up with stuff... Ugh!

• Staff

I would definitely get to work on that 6.0, or it may not be a reliable fire truck.

I know quite often that used 6.0's have started to show the signs of 6.0 failure and are sold so the owner doesn't have to deal with it.

The 450/550 aren't as prone to failure, but still not worth risking. One of the big issues is they blocks were not cleaned well and are full of casting sand. That clogs the EGR cooler and then bad things happen.

What year/transmission does your fire chief own Mike?

I have driven a few newer 6.7s (10 with a G56 and a 12 with the Max Tow package) and the 12 was like driving a MDT compared to my old 98.

The torque range was pretty impressive. I would like to drive the new 385/850 trucks with an Aisin.

• Owner

2009 Dodge 6.7L 2500 - 6 Speed Trans - Never exceeded 65 MPH even on the interstate empty but coming back lot of times the load of the trailer was enough to flat drag him down to 30 MPH on 7% grade.

Deleted DPF, Delete EGR, Deleted EGR Cooler and Edge Juice CS. Every thing else is stock. Roughly 61k miles on the clock.

I need to get back up to his place soon to get work done anyways.

The mileage is actually not too bad considering the load being pulled. If the truck was loaded on a deck over it likely sat up very tall with a lot of wind resistance. I have learned over the years that wind resistance plays every bit as much into the fuel mileage game as weight does.

Two things....one, please make sure the tank is baffled!  We had a 2000 gallon converted tanker, that some genius decided we didn't need to baffle the tank...yeah, after we rolled it, it either had to be driven completely full or completely empty...not fun at all!  

if the new Ferd is a 6.0, i would look into the remote oil cooler mount, as it will save tons of time and money when it comes time to replace it.  If my neighbor could have afforded it, I would have told him to get one, instead of replacing the factory cooler.  I did get to the point of being able to replace his and have everything buttoned back up in 6 hours though from start to finish.  Not fun.

• Like 1