• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors = Higher MPG?

So I've been searching the forums and ran into a few topics about some aftermarket injectors will not only give more hp/tq but also increase fuel mileage. One of these injectors are the rv275s. I see they are good for about +40hp/80tq over stock injectors and somehow get better fuel mileage?

Are there any other injectors that do the same and how does an injector which can supply more fuel give better MPGs? I am a little lost on the theory of this. If the engine requires "X" amount of fuel at the rpm and load..how does a different injector give better fuel mileage when it is producing the same "X"?? Is it the spray pattern? School me please :)

• Owner

What the deal is that you want to open up the injector a bit and allow the fuel to get into the cylinder faster (shorter time) but you want to keep a small injector to get the best atomization and best conversion of mist to vapor to ignition. Kind of like taking a garden hose spray gun and light mist upwards above you on a hot day the mist nearly evaporates as it falls. But now take a 2 1/2" fire nozzle and attempt the same thing and you get huge drops falling back down just wet. Remember liquid fuel doesn't burn only the vapor does so if your flooding the cylinder excessively all your doing is creating a lot of black smoke. It a balance between boost and fuel.

Hopefully in April I'll be able to jump on the rollers and find out what I'm producing. I'm fairly smokeless and running so strong 2nd and 3rd gear its possible to break the tires loose.

I want to keep the smarty because of the serious low end gains and the mileage went up as well. I just want to know what the best bang for buck is on injectors and I just keep hearing about how great the rv275s are. We spoke on the phone awhile back and you have a set yourself and seem to be happy with them. I do like extra power but only if the increase in fuel mileage is also a result. I do need to tweak the smarty though. It is set on 5 and I love it except when I need to stab the throttle quickly to go and see lots of black smoke (fuel wasted) in the process in my acceleration.

• Owner

That's the problem Smarty is really limited for smoke control compared to the Edge Products. At least with Edge you can select how much defuel your going to give. Like myself I've been running 5x3 or 120 HP with defuel mode (67% of stock fuel till 10 PSI of boost). This gives me excellent performance and nearly smoke free just a slight haze. So returning to Smarty I don't know of a way to defuel for turbo lag. :shrug:

Supposedly in the REVO tunes, there is a way to adjust the lower the fueling process on lighter throttle, I just haven't messed with it yet. I really need to go and try out some of the settings. 

So the rv275s give about a 40hp increase while giving better fuel mileage. Are there any other injectors that do the same with more performance?

• Owner

Up to about 75HP injectors you'll get a small gain then the nozzle gets too big by the time you reach 100 HP and gain are typically starting to fall. So its best to use a smaller injector and wire tapped module than a larger injector and programmer. same out come of power but typically the smaller injectors will do better.

• Like 1

All this assuming your going to drive the exact same way you did prior to getting the extra power...most people don't.

The 275s are a nice bump in power but I have been thinking about upgrading to something more.

As for the Smarty, it has been confirmed by sources at MADS that they will be releasing UDC for the 2nd gen crowd. Should be interesting to see what they come up with considering what they have done with the third gen crowd.

All this assuming your going to drive the exact same way you did prior to getting the extra power...most people don't.

The 275s are a nice bump in power but I have been thinking about upgrading to something more.

As for the Smarty, it has been confirmed by sources at MADS that they will be releasing UDC for the 2nd gen crowd. Should be interesting to see what they come up with considering what they have done with the third gen crowd.

What does the UDC do? 

Also I think the rv275s are the way to go IMO for my setup. I am not looking to get insane amount of power but a little increase wouldn't hurt and the fact if the fuel mileage goes up is the bang for buck I am looking for. Right now with the Smarty I  have been averaging 17mpg 75city/25hwy driving. It has increased it almost 2mpg more than factory. Then again that's also with the AD150 before i hand calculated fuel mileage. I am sure that helped some by itself. I am going to attempt to hook up my EGT after work. Anyone know about how long it will take? I already have the gauge hooked up and wired, I just need to take the rest of it and wire up to hot and ground and then drill my manifold and insert probe.

UDC= User Defined Catcher. It is a performance tune that allows the end user to fine tune the Catcher software. I don't know what they will be releasing for the VP trucks, but on the CR trucks you can tweak the timing, duration, rail pressure, waste gate opening pressure, and torque management. It all boils down to being able to finely tune your truck to get the cleanest smoke free tune while utilizing all available power.

As far as drilling the exhaust manifold, if you don't own any cobalt bits do yourself a favor and go buy one of the appropriate size for the tap. It will cut right through it in no time and will leave larger shavings which will be easier to fish out of the manifold with a magnet rather than the finer metal dust a dull bit tends to produce.

A quality injector goes a long way. You could run a 7x.010 injector and still see a mileage increase. If you were looking for good power without droping below stock MPG, that's what I'd go with.

If you're just wanting better MPG, I'd go a little bigger than RV275. Check out DAP, DFI, or CPP for the best injectors.

UDC= User Defined Catcher. It is a performance tune that allows the end user to fine tune the Catcher software. I don't know what they will be releasing for the VP trucks, but on the CR trucks you can tweak the timing, duration, rail pressure, waste gate opening pressure, and torque management. It all boils down to being able to finely tune your truck to get the cleanest smoke free tune while utilizing all available power.

As far as drilling the exhaust manifold, if you don't own any cobalt bits do yourself a favor and go buy one of the appropriate size for the tap. It will cut right through it in no time and will leave larger shavings which will be easier to fish out of the manifold with a magnet rather than the finer metal dust a dull bit tends to produce.

Thanks!

I just bought a new cobalt bit.

A quality injector goes a long way. You could run a 7x.010 injector and still see a mileage increase. If you were looking for good power without droping below stock MPG, that's what I'd go with.

If you're just wanting better MPG, I'd go a little bigger than RV275. Check out DAP, DFI, or CPP for the best injectors.

Examples would be?

A bunch of us are running DAP injectors. I got the 60s, they're good for power and economy, if you play nice. TFaoro just installed DAP 100s the other week. I know someone else here has the 75s. Good injectors, good price, bosch bodies...can't beat the price and they're flow matched and balanced.