• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I Can't Take It

dorkweed

My flight to Toms neighborhood was cancelled this morning, we are in the middle of a raging blizzard at the moment. Sounds Like Tom will experience the same storm tonight into tomorrow. It's in the low teens right now with 40 mph wind gusts sustained in the mid 20's.

flurried only here today,  but  gosh dang wind!      ambient  was  22,  but  felt  waaaay  below zero  with  the  horrendous  wind.    All I got done today was  wrangle  newborn  calves.

...... stupid momma's  think they  can   have the babes  out in the open...     ugg.  19 hours  is enough for me!  g'nite all

flurried only here today, but gosh dang wind! ambient was 22, but felt waaaay below zero with the horrendous wind. All I got done today was wrangle newborn calves.

...... stupid momma's think they can have the babes out in the open... ugg. 19 hours is enough for me! g'nite all

Why not have them calve when it's warm out and the grass is green?

Why not have them calve when it's warm out and the grass is green?

shoot,  April 1  usually IS  warm(er)  ha.    

I  like to  have  most of  the calving done  before  I gotta  'donate'  my  time  in the  tractor (corn planting)

There is  a  new way of thinking...  and  calving out on  clean green WARM grass  sure has it's merits...    (the  older ranchers  are the one's doing it!)   Theres  a  dang good reason for that!  

1.  calves  don't  freeze

2.  you don't have to  supplement the cow  with as much  high priced feed,  in order for them to  a.  keep warm herself, and  b.  produce milk for  junior.   If  you don't  supplement her  feed,  she won't breed back as quick.  THAT costs me money!

3.   less   scours and  pneumonia  in newborns 

4.   cows  are more content,  and  probably are better 'mothers'   when they  are  on  open range.

True,    they'll be  a tad lighter in the fall   than   February calves,   but  I sell later in the year anyway.    I feel  that  the less expense  and   MORE  calves to sell  makes up for the  weight  differential.

I've   'backed mine up'   about   60  days  since  my  'young buck' days!..  

Mother nature   still  wants us to know;   we  are NOT in control!  :)

Edited by rancherman

Well I guess I really can't talk, yet. We've been calving starting in April for a number of years but after the cold cold April last year I said 'to grass with that'! We're starting the middle of May this year.

Sorry for the thread hijack...