• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exhaust brake with auto transmission.

Lock up controller usually supplied with the exhaust brake. Then you'll only get exhaust brake function in 3rd and 4th gear. There is a valve body mod that allows lock up in 2nd gear so you could use the exhaust brake in 2nd gear too.

I also have a momentary switch at the gas pedal the activates the EB when throttle is released and turns off the EB when you are on the throttle

• 2 weeks later...

Question...Because a curious Blonde wants to know... My truck came with an exhaust brake, D-Celerator by US Gear (not sure, but I think it was done not too long after the truck was new judging by the model of exhaust brake and calling US Gear,  they said it was from the late 90's) Does that mean the exhaust springs have been upgraded most likely? The guy I bought the truck from said it was on the truck when he bought it... He used it to haul a 5 car hauler for business. I did use the exhaust brake to test it out empty on my Oct trip to VA last year and it seemed to work fine..

Your 12v most definitely would have upgraded exhaust springs Yabba. The stock springs are only good to about 35 psi before they get pushed open by the back pressure. 60 pound springs are the normal upgrade.

Good!! I was hoping they were done already... My next project now that I have Bleu up and running are 40 HP injectors for Yabba!!! as well as a much needed valve seat adjustment... :thumb1: Not sure which will have the winning straw for the VA trip in July :ashamed: On one hand I love the way Bleu goes across country but also Love my Yabba Doo and he can serve as a camper as well!! Decisions, decisions...

Edited by YabbaDoo

What needs to be done to a truck with automatic transmission to take advantage of an exhaust brake? Not looking for a high dollar solution. But rather minimum suggested mods.

bare minimum would be a good triple disk tc, a billet flexplate, and input shaft, andf a good shift kit/valve body, preferabally one with lock up in all forward gears.

this will give you the braking power and the reliability to know you won't break anything important, and breaking either the flexplate or the input shaft usually results in a junk trans