• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

To dually or not to dually?

hex0rz

Alright, so I may have an opportunity to acquire myself another truck. My current one may go to my in-laws and I will be able to take the liquidity from the sale and buy another cummins. Question is, given that I have such a large trailer, should I get a dually? My 3/4 ton SRW handles it, but how well compared to? I know I will NOT ever get another auto or short bed AGAIN. So, those are 2 stipulations. I have found numerous cummins with less than 100k miles on them and the price to boot, but still cannot decide between SRW or DRW!

As I see it now, I do not plan on pulling the trailer much if at all. Originally my intent for the trailer is to stick it into a shop and keep it there for its life. But, if life changes on me and I MUST travel, then what...

I do wish to have a gooseneck for future things to pull loads, but that is still up in the air. Slowly but surely. I try to plan for the future, but does the DRW really give me that much more?

I say if you were going to be pulling the trailer a ton, then I would look at getting a DRW. Since you dont pull it hardly ever and you know that a SRW truck will handle it, just go for the SRW. Cheaper on tires, and not to mention it will ride nicer than the DRW when empty.

• Like 2

Duallys are meant for towing/hauling heavy. Hard to justify in my mind if I'm not doing one or the other on a regular basis. The thing that would be hardest for me is off road/winter travel. SRW will out perform a DRW in every scenario and I do a good bit of both.

What year truck are you looking at? If you step up to a CR you can get a 3500 SRW which will have a higher rear axle rating then your current configuration. Even a 2nd gen with a D80 will be an improvement over your D70.

The main reason I did not get DRW is that I don't tow but 4 or 5 times a year. I tow heavy like you but did not have any use for the DRW. Even the higher GVW of the DRW was not something I needed on a regular basis.

I've  got both...  and  they certainly have their pros and cons.

dually will be spinning  and  sliding  on  ice and  snow,  don't even think about  mud!   4X4  then  is  a must.

Just  think of it this way:  twice the tire,  but half the total  traction...   It takes  weight per square inch of  patch to get a grip...    I  fully feel  my dually is  worthless unless there is  a ton in the  box.

I've been  really  thinking  about what to do with my project truck,  keeping it  srw,  or  dualling it up.

Several guys on here  suggested I  think  about  upgrading to the 19,5's,   and   I'd  get  basically the same  cap  that way.   This project rig is  going to be a dedicated  hauler,  but  needs  to be  able to  'get where there ain't no roads' too!

So,  for  what it's worth,    I've  got one already.    Are they the  cat's meow?   well, for me,   one is  enough!

I had a dually. Biggest issue I had was that you wear out 6 tires in the time you would wear out 4. That's another $500 or so every time you get new skins. I got into a rotation where I'd wear out the fronts and just buy 2. But when I needed rears, thousand dollar bill. Plus the added width of the vehicle on skinny roads with oncoming traffic. These are the two negative to me. Plus added body damage with those fiberglass fenders sticking proud of the rest of the truck. You weigh the benefits, but these are the negatives as I see them.

Yep, sounds like I will just stick to SRW. I had contemplated the idea of the 19.5's for extra capacity/safety. Sounds like that will be the route I will go if this goes through. Either way, I will actually look into them, lol.

• Like 1

If you were riding with me twenty years ago when the trailer I was pulling got away from me hauling down hill and the trailer pushing you from bar ditch to bar ditch, you would not be asking this question. LOL I will never drive anything else. Got two of them in the garage now.
JMHO 

No exhaust brake, at that time I had a chevy 3/4 ton 4x4  To me its like some people got to have a 4x4, its there when you need it, same for a dully. When you need to haul its there. Dully is good and stable when hauling, a lot less road walking.