• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What size is the Dodge factory towing package?

I have a 2002 2500 with the factory towing package. The truck was used to tow a 5th wheel all over the country before I got it.

Now I am about to tow something with the truck and the place I am renting the trailer from (U-Haul) is asking what are the ratings on the tow hitch. Cannot find anything about it on the net...

Anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks,

FT

• Owner

That's a question I can't get answered...

Why is that only RV's require a Weight Distribution Hitch where most all utility trailers don't? Like my Fire Chief has utility box trailers that gross more weight than my RV but don't require a WD hitch. Even my BigTex 70TV is really close to the RV in weights but doesn't require a WD hitch either. But some can hitch up to a bumper bull flat bed trailer grossing 13,000 to 14,000 with a tractor no problem without a WD hitch but on the flip side RV requires (or highly suggested). Why is this?

I have my opinions about this but I dont know how true they are.

I have always thought the W/D was more for turning control of the trailer. The RV (in most cases) is probably more top heavy so to speak. It has more body roll than say a flatbed or utility trailer. I have always thought that the W/D helps with that bod roll.

Maybe the RV manufacturers think that the W/D will help for people who arent used to pulling trailers. They usually dont slow down enough for the corners and take their trailers into places that they shouldn't. I think they are just using the W/D as an extra precaution to keep that trailer on the road and right side up.

I am also not sure why they call it "weight distribution" because all that weight is still on the the hitch and components. It is not really distributing the weight from anything except being directly on the hitch ball.

Again, these are just my opinions on the matter and I am open to other opinions as well.

• Like 2

Will,

Thanks MUCH for the photo! Can now take that with me and make sure that there are no hassles.

Mike, I just towed a 10,000 RV trailer so know that the truck will do it but the people at U-haul can be difficult at times so wanted to do this first and make sure!

Thanks everyone!

FT

• Like 2

Weight distributing hitches are required if your trailer is out of balance.  I used to fit boats to their trailers...  and we would move the axles to get the tongue weight to 10% of load & not more than 2-3 hundred pounds.  When I hauled 2 horses in the rear of my bumper pull stock trailer...  2500# behind the axles...  I used to ballast the front with weight bars besides our camping gear...  Rear Heavy)  Like wise you can be tongue heavy & either ballast the rear or use a WD hitch.  Can't move axles in RVs generally, though you can change the loading.  

With a gooseneck or 5th wheel your tongue weight is centered (or I prefer a couple of inches forward or rear axle if possible, like my 79 C30 was built) the tongue weight is on the rear axle instead of using leverage to try to carry the load...  so hitch weight can be much higher.

My old Scamper 5th wheel camper was nicely balanced on the axles with very minimal hitch weight.  My horse trailer has a very long dressing room in front of the axles which are under the horses...  It towed fine but man I hated cranking the landing gear to uncouple. 

Actually, the reason (in my book!) that RVs recommend a WD hitch is because people are trying to pull a trailer as big as or bigger than their Chevy Aztec or F150 can support and makes them squat so bad they are unsafe. The WD hitch gets them level for safer towing.

• Like 1

• Owner

Actually, the reason (in my book!) that RVs recommend a WD hitch is because people are trying to pull a trailer as big as or bigger than their Chevy Aztec or F150 can support and makes them squat so bad they are unsafe. The WD hitch gets them level for safer towing.

Still why is utility trailers excluded? I've seen some out weigh some RV's. :think: