• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Any Benefit to using deep cycle RV Batteries on the truck?

• Staff

I like the extra studs next to the posts for powering/ adding electrical accessories.

I read some where batteries act like a giant buffer or capacitor and help reduce electrical noise. Do deeper cycle batts help a bit more in any way than regular starting batteries?

• Owner
I like the extra studs next to the posts for powering/ adding electrical accessories.

Why do that? When there is a Aux Power stud in the PDC.

post-1-0-78045700-1401038668_thumb.jpg

I read some where batteries act like a giant buffer or capacitor and help reduce electrical noise.

Best to fixed the source of the noise problem than attempting to filter it.

Do deeper cycle batts help a bit more in any way than regular starting batteries?

Typically deep cycle batteries have less CCA and more Amp/Hours storage. So your trading out the cold starting ability for storage and long term draw function. I would stick to normal starting batteries.

• Like 1

• Staff

Mike that stud in the PDC is for the lift pump power. (Big smile)

Battery studs get the vp cooling blower and rv/ camper hook up cable.

Thanks for the info though on batts. Starting batteries are less expensive and I need less expensive these days.

I know a guy that uses two starting batts. in his rv. Don't know why except for the price. Can't last too long.

• 1 month later...
  • Owner

I am also curious about this VP blower. Does it help a ton?

No. Not really.

33vyk44.jpg

All the PSG is encased in plastic and the actual heat sink is downward into the fuel not upwards to the air. So adding a heat sink and blower won't do much because if the fuel is 140*F its got direct contact with the aluminum plate that is in contact with the electronics.

Food for thought.

I'm up here in Idaho seeing temps above 110*F in the summer and well in the minus numbers in the winter. My VP44 has no cooler on it and been running just fine since 2004 when it was replaced at 50k miles. Currently has 232k on the clock.

• Staff

I am also curious about this VP blower. Does it help a ton?

Just now saw this thread......

It's just for pace of mind I guess. I turn it on running long grades, hauling heavy in the summertime. I did it because I don't have a lot to do on weekends. :kick:

All it is, is a piece of 3 inch flex duct running from the front bumper hole up to the electrical on top of the VP.  I put a inline boat bilge blower in the duct $29 bucks.

Edited by JAG1

The benefit to a deep cycle battery is actually being able to draw it down farther without killing it.

I would recommend installing one in the bed for a trailer or to use instead of the truck batteries when using electronics.

Install a relay that shuts off when the truck is not running so the battery will charge when the truck is running but not drawing on the truck batteries when it is not on/in the run position.

• Like 1