• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Edge Comp: Dropped from 5x3 to 5x2

• Owner

Yea. As of today I had to drop my sub-level again. Getting to smokey as summer time started coming on and noticing more and more smoke as I would be towing and/or launching with a heavy foot. I'm wondering if others have notices anything like this with warmer weather? No ill-effect to MPG's at all but the smoke level is slightly higher now than was during the winter time. I'm also wondering is the injectors changing for like a break in process and flowing more? :think::shrug:

• Like 1

Can't say as I have ever heard injectors getting broke in and flowing more. Sounds more like warmer air being less dense to me. You must have been running on the edge of smoky in the cooler weather and with the warmer weather it went just a bit smokier.

• Like 2

I agree with MnTom.  I have noticed this too.  More so since I got rid of HX35.  It will smoke more when it is above 55-60 out.  When it is warm and I drive normal, I shift before 2000 rpms and have no smoke.   Get on it and there is a fair amount if I shift at the same points.  When don't want smoke and am in hurry, I will rev it out to 2500ish before I shift.  When it is colder out it don't really matter much. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Warmer air has less o2. So in a nut shell means running richer

When I did the calculation on this back in the winter time the difference is like 2-3 PSI difference from 0*F to 100*F so the change in 02 isn't that much. No different that going from sea level to about 5,000 feet. I'll see about find my air density calculator again.

When I did the calculation on this back in the winter time the difference is like 2-3 PSI difference from 0*F to 100*F so the change in 02 isn't that much. No different that going from sea level to about 5,000 feet. I'll see about find my air density calculator again.

I don't quite go along with this. My truck will smoke like a freight train by the time I get to about 4000 feet.......Especially with a boost leak!! :stuned:

Funny you mentioned this because I have been noticing the same thing. I was putting along at a slow pace yesterday on a side road checking out field conditions and a car came up on me out of nowhere so I got on it to get up to speed a little. Convertor was locked in 3rd at about 30 mph with virtually no boost and I all but blacked out the guy in the fancy Camaro behind me. Not only did I piss him off for driving slow I also pissed him off for filling his car up with soot!! He went flying around me and gave me a dirty look, like I did it on purpose. Oops!

Like you I'm going to hook the Smarty up and tweak the settings a touch to clean it up. Shoot, I finally pulled my 200* stat yesterday and swapped it back for the 190*...summer is finally upon us.

Well it happened to me today as well. Edge set at 5x5 and Smarty on lvl4. Cruising down the highway at about 67 everyone slowed down and as I did also got down to about 55ish and traffic cleared up everyone speed up as I rolled on the throttle I blacked out 3 lanes of traffic with out even trying. So I dropped down to 5x4 then it happened again so I dropped it down to 5x3. So now I'm just as confused

• Like 1

• Staff

At least on my truck there is a noticeable difference in smoke from sea level to 5,000 feet, as there is also an increase in hot weather.

Remember the old 3% hp loss per 1K feet elevation change based on oxygen content on NA motors?? Well there is going to be some effect on turbo motors at low boost, but minimal loss at high boost. So if the oxygen content from 0° to 100° is equivalent to 5,000 feet that's about 14.2% reduction in hp on a NA motor, or a low boost forced induction motor.

Is your mpg fooler set on a fixed number? I notice more smoke, for a given smokey tune, as the IAT's increase more so than ambient.

• Owner

So how about 1,821 feet at Riggins, ID? Or even lower yet at 1,581 feet at Whitebird. Even my place is barely 2,800 feet. Elevation this is low.

MPG fooler is just setting the IAT to 143*F so even turning it off I'm seeing true number but on warm days I can float as high as 120-130*F when I was noticing the smoke. But now with colder temps I'm down to 80-90*F IAT's. Still fooler on or off the smoke level still high.

Actually a little secret if you turn over to 6 Cylinder mode its a smoke switch. Dropping the IAT colder and ECT colder produces a healthy cloud. (Just letting you all know I've played and looking for other causes). This is not it.

As for another odd thing noticed yesterday hauling back with firewood. I've got 8 miles of full time exhaust brake usage and about another 6 of part time exhaust brake usage from my cutting hole to the highway. By the time I get to the steep part of the grade and the EGT's are really low 200 or so. I start to notice a haze of blue smoke only when the exhaust brake is used. Then once I hit the highway I see one poof of blue and then it turns black and gone never to seen again. This has me thinking injectors for some reason.

• Staff

So how about 1,821 feet at Riggins, ID? Or even lower yet at 1,581 feet at Whitebird. Even my place is barely 2,800 feet. Elevation this is low.

I know on my truck every 1K feet make a difference in smoke and EGT's.

My truck runs very cool where I live at 2700', but it runs cooler at sea level for the same ambient temp.

So if 100°F is good for 5K feet of change, what does 50°F increase do at 2K feet?

As for another odd thing noticed yesterday hauling back with firewood. I've got 8 miles of full time exhaust brake usage and about another 6 of part time exhaust brake usage from my cutting hole to the highway. By the time I get to the steep part of the grade and the EGT's are really low 200 or so. I start to notice a haze of blue smoke only when the exhaust brake is used. Then once I hit the highway I see one poof of blue and then it turns black and gone never to seen again. This has me thinking injectors for some reason.

My guess is that you are pushing a little oil out of the turbo seal, and under normal exhaust braking you won't notice it but on a braking session that long it's showing up.

I highly doubt it's injectors they are supposed to be firing 0, zip, zilch fuel while exhaust braking with a warm engine.

• Owner

That's what I thought. (Thanks for verifying! :thumb1: ) Injectors remained closed and not firing a drop. But its blue smoke like cold cylinder temps would. As for the turbo still wonder how that could be happening too. If the drive pressure is spiked out during the downhill run and the oil pressure should nearly match pressure (unknown no mechanical).

Think I'm just over thinking the whole thing...  No issues with oil loss lately still full. No loss in MPG's either still good and strong. :shrug: