• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New exhaust any idea's?

So i've had my Current Sig pic truck for 2 year's now and the 4 inch exhaust is really starting to rust well at this point it's more rust/weld then pipe. And really been looking over exhaust choice's of course I can go back to 4 or 5 inch stright pipe/mufflered good for some like me while it lasted $400-500 for a new set. Or there's 4 or 5 in Dual's which i would love but saving for injector's and a tuner have nipped that in the bud at around $700-800 a set. There's also stacks which i really really love(Have a set on my V10 atm so quite and look awesome) but i have a bed cover on this truck and just can't bring myself to cut the bed(Also my father informed me he might shoot me if i do...23 yrs old have my own house, truck's, bill's, my dad still tells me what to do...wth?? lol) I also tow my 5th wheel which stains very easy and i fear the black smoke will stain it like the rear exhaust is already doing atm  Plus every 16 year old kid has them and go around blowing smoke around town never once pulling a trailer in there life. So been giving a whole lot of thought toward's a side pipe or side pipe's going to the end of the ext cab if possible(i know the fule tank and frame made stop the duel part but  looking at a 4' into either 5' or 6' in x 72 curved Chrome tip.  In my life i've seen ONE diesel truck with duel side pipe's or side pipe's at all it looked amazing sounded even better they had 4' in to dual 5 inch 48 in tip's (came out behind rear of reg cab door with some of those semi truck exhaust gaurd metal mesh around them for a leg gaurd. Found some on sale on Ebay for $138 a piece and $24 shipping. I would like y'alls input on this idea as in EGT issue's or any other issue's or concern's Thanks again all can't wait for input  

I've been through a lot over the years and sort of feel like your old man. No matter what I decided in the past, most choices were costly and really didn't do anything for the benefit of the truck or mainly myself. How much do you really see of the exhaust. Could your old man be talking from experience and trying to save you the dollars and headaches that he did in his past ? Ever ask him of his reasons for telling you this ? Ask, then mull it over a taste and decide what's best for you ... then do it.

My stock system rotted out.  First the tailpipe & then the back of the muffler.  I was annoyed.  My 89 GMC had a stainless exhaust. 

I bought a 4" SS kit off ebay  (seller markoidaho) back in 07.   Choice of SS grades, I chose the cheaper.  This was a price buy.  I included a "muffler" option (a straight through 4" glass pack).  I later added a 36" FTE SS spiral resonator as forward as possible.  The resonator made a big difference in the drone when hauling heavy...  wife didn't need ear plugs anymore, not that she was listening to me anyway.   4" was the smallest offered from this source. 

I'm still running the stock turbo & the kit necks down to connect.  I'd buy the FTE resonator the first time.  I don't know that the straight through did anything at all, except if you have a prick for a inspector to say "see I have a muffler".  I am not going to replace this system in my life time.  Worth every penny.      

Edited by flagmanruss

My current system is a 4" turbo back with a muffler. If you really want to save the camper this system came with a tailpipe that came straight out to the side of the truck and didn't coat the camper. The smoke was shot out at a 90 to the truck. 

post-1794-0-61389100-1402847381_thumb.pn

(Don't rag on me too much for the smoke I was trying to keep up with a friend!)

I'm running 4" SS turbo back to 6" dual MBRP Stacks out the bed. My truck is stock (as far as engine mods go) and I barely blow any smoke, towing or not. So the stacks have been great for me. I wanted stacks since I was knee high to a grass hopper. I bought my truck when I was 20, living at home mind you, and did all this even though my old man didn't 100% approve, but It's my truck and my decision. I love my stacks minus the loss of bed space, but I got over that quick. The hardest hump to tackle is cutting a whole in a perfectly clean, rust free box HAHA.

Thanks all for the info and i have alway's listened to dad and never been steered wrong but, i would kill for a set of 6x36in Bull haulers stack's. I've alway's been one to go against the curb when it came to vehicle's I was the first person in my area to run stack's(albeit on my V10 Gasser) But i get so many compliment's on the truck for it's looks and sounds like a diesel minus the turbo whistle lol. So i'm gonna go with the side pipe's and give that a try it's only gonna cost $19.99 for the 90 degree elbow, $138+24(shipping) for the stack/side pipe and i can install it at work for free Next question should i leave the Nerf bar's on if theres room or will that look bulky i have thought of fabing up some steps in to the heat shield since i have all the equipment at work?  

I would probably fab some steps into the pipe guards. I think it might look a little goofy to have nerf bars and exhaust pipes running down the sides. Just my opinion though. I am really excited to see how this turns out. Never seen a dodge ram with side pipes. I have seen a cummins that had dual 3 in pipes that came out under the rear bumper like and old school pick up truck. That looked really nice actually. 

Well after going out measuring everything siting down figuring out what all would be required to do this project and talking to a local exhaust shop they said i would have to remove my front mudflaps, side running lights down both side's of the truck, and the final price tag of around $785 For y-pipe, 2 elbow's, 2 stacks, 2 exhaust shield's, and all the mounting hardware...That's gonna blow my cheap build out of the water even a single side pipe would end up at around $550+/- SO i been digging on ebay found these Dual 4in exhaust on sale i have 2 new tips at the house and guess i'm gonna go with them until my budget can handle the $800 price tag kinda bumbed out but it's still dual's that no one with in a 70 mile radius has so there's that for now. But i will have side pipe's and will post up when i get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a Farm Boy Diesel Performance 5" turbo back exhaust and got the straight pipe version and eliminated the muffler. Almost 7 years later I am still VERY pleased and satisfied with it. It came as a complete kit with all of the clamps and grommet mounts that used the OEM grommets to mount the system. Almost looks OEM stock until you get closer and look. Sounds great too.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/farmboysdieselperformance/the-108/Budget-Exhaust-(FBD)-5"/Detail

The price has gone up a little since I bought mine but not as much as I thought it would be. I think I paid about $280 for mine.

Here is a post and review of the installation of my Farm Boy exhaust.

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.com/showthread.php?t=12825

Edited by LiveOak