• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vehicle Accident: Roll over

• Owner

Summer is here...

Please people slow down. I'm listening to the fire radio yesterday while cutting firewood. Riggins EMS was paged out to a roll over vehicle accident. Seem like everyone is in a hurry and passing with on coming traffic which now becomes a game of chicken and loser ends up in the ditch rolled over.

I was lucky a few days ago as well coming home driving my typical ol' slow self I'm glad I was because the same thing happen to me I had a semi-truck passing in my lane force me off the shoulder of the road.

Please people be safe and slow down there is nothing in the world that require high speed.

• Like 1

• Owner

I never understood HOW anyone can feel even remotely comfortable passing in a curve where you cannot see if it is safe.

They do it on curves, blind hills, etc. They don't care just get out of their way. During the winter time the highway here gets quiet and very few accidents occur. But now get tourist from other states and they drive like they are still in Texas with 80-85 MPH speed limits. If you going 2 MPH slower they pass you. I've actually had people pass me in a fire truck before truck running against the governor and went around me with lights on even. (Most of our trucks govern out at 60-65 MPH).

I think another big thing is when people cant see in front of them. Even if you are going the speed limit or faster, if they cant see because you are in front of them they will pass you. Not saying its alright for people to do that, just saying that is one of the problems that causes this. Most of them may not even realize it.

• Owner

:iagree:

Guilty as charged. I used to be that way have a big rig in front of me and blow around them. Now I tend to just hang back with my 55-60 MPH cruise most times I end up travelling with a semi-truck up the canyon. I've got no problem with that now. When I see my MPG jump up I tend to enjoy the bonus of cruising slower and getting the MPG boost. Easier on brakes, less panic stops, less close calls,etc.

• Like 1

Last time I was  out in  Wyoming,  I couldn't believe  how hurried  people were,  ON VACTION!     I swear  they were possessed,  and  had  to  see as  many miles  as  possible  in  a  day...   They missed a lot in the process....  but,  on the other hand,  the   moose jams  in  Yellowstone  were ridiculous too...  

I came up on a  group of  20-30 cars on the side of the road,  people running  with their  cameras  wizzing away,  and  figured  there was  a  critter  that  wanted  it's pic took...  lo and behold,  it  was  a  dang  chipmunk.       Sigh,   I realize  there are  masses  out there that have never seen a  chipmunk.. 

..... I  think the  2 legged  beast  would  be  far  funnier to   document  in the wild these days!

Don't even ask me  what  I think of the   60 foot  pusher/bus 'campers',  pulling a   Humvee, AND a  28 foot  powerboat.

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1

I almost witnessed a head on yesterday.  I was heading back from the car show with a 32ft enclosed trailer in tow and was happily following a minivan who was driving at a good pace for me, but a few of the cars behind me didn't.  A late 90's Ford Taurus station wagon in particular had enough after about 20 miles and decided to pass on a sweeping right hand curve.  I know he couldn't see around the curve very far with the trees on the side of road and my trailer blocking what was in front me.  He was drafting the trailer pretty close that I lost him in my mirrors at times.  I seen him pull out and I immediately looked at the on coming traffic and there was a oncoming box truck no too far off.  He made up to the front of the truck and I was expecting him to pull in between me and the minivan, there was more than enough room.  Nope he kept on it and made it pass the van.  He was seconds away from an encounter with that little pete.  The thing that made me mad was we were only a half a mile away from a hill with a slow lane for the trucks. :ahhh:   The icing on the cake was when he was passing me I saw it said "just married" on the rear window.  It could have been a wedding and the funerals all in one weekend.

• Staff

Around here they speed up so they can stop harder at the red light. He he. it's so silly

Your safest place in the world of travel is behind a big rig going a safe speed. Just think how many cars he is slowing down / protecting from the oncoming in your lane speeder.

there's no point to being in a hurry as eternity has no time. So I say slow down and live as though all the time in the world is on your side.

You'll be much happier

• Like 4

I find it "stressful" to drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic.  I much prefer for all the idiot drivers to pass me.  Even in states where the Interstate speeds are 75mph and faster;  I usually put around 65-68mph and get my usual 20mpg or so!!

• Like 2

I find it "stressful" to drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic.  I much prefer for all the idiot drivers to pass me.  Even in states where the Interstate speeds are 75mph and faster;  I usually put around 65-68mph and get my usual 20mpg or so!!

Most truckers  run  around  60-65  on the  interstate,  and  I feel comfy   sitting  in  their   'rocking chair'.  

• Like 1

Towing my fiver at 70 MPH I get at the most 10 MPG, 65 MPH nets me about 12 MPG, and 60 mph puts me at about 14 MPG. That is without the propane. The same holds true (speed kills mileage) on our empty trucks too. I personally would much rather be around a bunch of big trucks than a few four wheelers, but then again I used to drive big trucks and can predict (usually) what they are going to do.