• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I got a rusted one today thank got it went in my driveway in the morning before I went anyway

Now did anyone do this ? the one went bad is right under the exhaust manifold and contacted the local cummisn dealer with an engine serial number etc and they said I must make sure I have three of the same size right under the exhaust manifold ? 

Can anyone help here ? 

I plan on taking the exhaust manifold off and replace all three if there is actually three but before I take anything off I like to have parts on hand. 

All you would need is new gaskets for the exhaust manifold and turbo mount and the three freeze plugs. If you haven't replaced the antifreeze for a while this would be a great time. You may also want to think about a new thremostat while you are at it.

Radiator was replaced this last fall so that is new, will add antifreeze for now and change thermostat the turbo will not come off the manifold I think I want and try to get the manifold and turbo out in one piece 

I need to buy a gallon of PB blaster for sure haha ! 

will order an exhaust manifold gasket and may also change the valve cover gasket same day, I will try and do a youtube video but cant promise as you all know how greasy one can get working on them cummins.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The one manifold bolt that is under the turbo is super hard to get to and thats all there it left to get out, I may have to take the turbo and manifold out in one piece but the bottom drainage line gotta come off as well not sure how I Will get it off since its RUSTED bad 

So I got it all out, I pick on the truch when ever I have time everyday 

I did see that the turbo drain pipe is on a hose at the motor side it was easy once I got the oil filter off so now all is out of the way manifold is off turbo attached to it and soft feed line is still attach

the auto trans cooler on the side of the block which gets trans fluid and antifreeze running through it is rusted to hell and leaking anti freeze so I am taking that off and running the one cooler on the front of the radiator only 

will cap off the lines at the water neck ( where antifreeze feeds and returns to block under radiator ) 

will also change the one feed line going to the heater core its all rusted and may just break soon on me 

here is a couple of pictures I took of what it looks like with stuff out the way 

022.jpg

010.jpg

004.jpg

009.jpg

I looped the trans fluid lines under the truck 

The heat exchanger is also to help warm the transmission in the cooler weather too. My understanding is that it was better to run one than run without one. You may have to run a thermostically controlled fan on a cooler under the truck somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

So after driving the truck about 150 miles at most I noticed a burnt oil smell every time I would step on it, looked under hood to find out the feed line for the turbo is leaking very little oil around the fitting and the return line as well started leaking 

Got the truck home very slow avoiding any oil pressure build up so the lie does not explode ordered new feed and return line for the turbo and will have to change them out some time this coming week 

The fun time I have ahead is amazing, plow trucks make good money but they also RUST so much 

I never have that problem with a temp gauge on the oil pan I hardly ever reach 180 and that is with a block front grill on both sides, the plowing I do involves slow 1st and 2nd gear pushes at very little amounts I start at an inch and keep going till the storm stops so never stress the truck 

I got an AFE deep pan that I am installing last thing before the truck is ready for the snow 

well,  you could  go and  find a  rust free  gasser...  with a shelled out  5.9  (ahem...  I have  a 'few')   so  keep an eye out,  they're   'out there'      and  swap your   diesel  into.

I have a  94,  that  was   used  on a  golf course,  to spread   fertilizer.  Amazingly,  the body,  or  anything that was  painted is  still in good shape...  that's where  it  ends!

Up until I saw your pics..  I've never  seen  an engine block  like mine!   your  exhaust manifold  looks exactly like  my  360 gas motor!      it's flaking away so bad  some of the  numbers cast into it have disappeared..   when you start the engine,  with hood open,  it  spits  chunks of  rust flake  as  it  heats up!     gotta wear goggles  around this thing...

I won't even mention  my frame rails  (alongside the fuel tank).

Really guys ? lmao 

You all live in Arizona now ? never saw a rusted truck ? speaking of gassers I picked up a project today to make into a second plow truck needs a motor clean body and way less rust then my diesel maybe I end up swapping it out but its a regular cab 

back to the diesel, today I got the top line off easy ( feed line ) bottom line one bolt came out with the extractor and the other wont budge so I tried cutting the tube off to gain more room that didn't help ! now it looks like I will take the exhaust manifold off yet again haha 

• 2 weeks later...