• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What do you have under your seat?

What do you keep under your seat?  Everything you need to USE a truck...   I'll go first... 

door pockets: 

4 TCW3 quart oil bottles (2 in each side),

small hand tools (multi-tip  screw driver, adjustable wrench, multi-tool) 

tire pressure guage

work gloves (canvas, leather, rubber)

double ended snaps handy for tie downs & tent set ups

flashlight

I have a plastic bin that fits under each side.  I drilled the seat brackets for a short bungie to keep the stuff from sliding out on a hard stop...  bungie hook had to be opened so it could go through the bracket.   

Front: 

tie down ratchet straps, bungies

tow strap & anchor shackles

magnetic wands for trailer hookup

12V power extension cord (10', 14/2 marine harness with cig lighter plug/socket)

roll of paper towels

Back: 

Spare fuel filter Dodge can

spare filter set Air Dog

duct tape

trailer hitches (hidden hitch & 2" ball on a reese drop insert).  The WD hitch only gets used with the camper & parts store there as well. 

Spare Jesus clips & hitch pin. 

small hank of Parra cord,

winter front & hardware (off season) 

A twin size wool blanket (surplus) on back seat...  protects seat & emergency use.   

Old towel on grab handle on seat back...  for times when wet hands will not do. 

Share your ideas... 

Edited by flagmanruss
  • Like 1

• Owner

1/2 Gallon of drink water

1 MRE

1 Harbor Frieght pack of fuses (mini size)

1 Harbor Frieght pack of fuses (Standard size)

1 Windshield shade

1 Roll of toilet paper

1 Box of kleenex

1 fuel filter (AirDog)

1 Blanket (Dog's Blanket but could be used to keep you warm on a cold day)

1 first aid kit

Behind driver seat (SAR's pack)

1 MRE

1 bag of hard candy

1/2 gallon of drinking water

1 sweat shirt jacket (safety yellow / reflective)

1 over coat (safety yellow / reflective)

1 poncho (cammo)

1 first aid kit

1 multi-tool

1 Plastic tube full of kitchen matches

1 Cigarette lighter

1 Magnesium and flint

1 Pair of Socks

1 Pair of gloves

1 cold weather cap

You'll notice there is very little tools or parts carried in my truck. But now you see I worry more about my personal survival more so than the truck. At least I can abandon the truck and walk to safety. Remember I'm where there is no cell service and even limited radio signals at times. So far I've walked out the woods twice. Once when the PCM failed on the 96 Dodge walked about 4 miles. Then second time I got my 02 stuck in soft ground fully loaded with firewood and walked over 7 miles. Both times I've been lucky. Next time might not be as lucky and be happy I've got the SAR's bag behind my driver seat.

As a matter of fact you can see my SAR's bag in my Avatar...

• Like 3

I took a fresh look...  again tried to put a bigger plastic bin under the front driver's side & reminded myself it wouldn't go because of the power seat works.  I tried a bigger plastic bin on the passenger's side & the latch mechanism blocked it...  so back to what was there.  

There are maps & compass in the center seat bin...  first aid kit in the glove box, aspirin, assort of pain relievers, spare fuses.   The 12V extension cord is helpful because a 12V air compressor needs good power to run & extension to get near the tires on the truck.  (Helps to have the engine running because it boosts the voltage.)   

I have a cheap overnight bag with a change of clothes & an extra fleece coat in my daily driver.  Moves to the truck when I drive it.  I just bought a jump-start box...  not sure if I'll carry it & where. 

Wife was a hospital lab technition (retired) and trained a Ski Patroler (First Responder Cert...  everything an EMT would have in the field that wasn't on the Rescue Truck)(retired).  She carries her patrol pack still. 

Small bottle of window cleaner

a towel in each door

glow sticks in drivers door

tissues in passenger door

sometimes maps

gloves in each door

odds and ends for basic personal needs in the center console

Now if were talking in the truck bed, I have a cab high shell and two milk crates with most of the stuff the others mention.

I did like joecool911 comment and might consider them to.

Under my seats........HMMMMM..........That's usually where I  look when I can't find a gun during my semi annual inventory round up for cleaning, usually find all sorts of other hunting equipment there too, coyote calls ammo ect. usually buried in a lot of dirt and lint.

• Like 1

Under my seats........HMMMMM..........That's usually where I  look when I can't find a gun during my semi annual inventory round up for cleaning, usually find all sorts of other hunting equipment there too, coyote calls ammo ect. usually buried in a lot of dirt and lint.

You are lucky. The mines I used to go to if they looked in the truck and saw even a spent casing without any fire arm or even a smashed up beer can in the bed or trunk you were banned for life there and all the owner's other mines too.

I used to keep a some sort of foul weather gear in the vehicle.  I outgrew the nice gear the boatyard paid for...  I had some cheap plastic but was water proof or my cowboy saddle coat. 

When I left the PD for medical reasons...  turned in my warrant which was endorsed for firearms...  so went my right to carry.  Really should get a permit as is more readily available in my present location.  My choice would probably be a 3" M66.  My 645s are rather big for Concealed Carry.   

under my seat...is  a collection of  anything that's gone awol.    It's  a  magnet for  everything.   This is  why  I refuse to buy an extended cab,  cripes,   I wouldn't  'make weight'  with the  stuff  that would accumulate  in a large cab!

far as     at least  changing a tire, I'll have  somewhere  in  the  truck  a  good  jack, shovel  for  when  the  jack won't fit  under the  truck,   tow strap and/or  chain,    maybe  some  ratchet straps,   Tools  of  many  types  are usually on-board for  fixing  anything around the ranch..  so  usually can  finagle    simple  fixes needed  on the truck.

• Like 1

You are lucky. The mines I used to go to if they looked in the truck and saw even a spent casing without any fire arm or even a smashed up beer can in the bed or trunk you were banned for life there and all the owner's other mines too.

lol, where I work I think it would be hard to not find some sort of weapon in at least 50% if not more of the vehicles at work. Heck there are 2-3 gun dealers who work at the mine, at least twice a week there is a swap meet or deals or show and tell going on in the parking lot after shift. Lots of farmers ranchers who work at the mine who are never without a weapon in a vehicle just like me as that is how I got into the bad habit of having them laying all over coming from a large farm ranch as that was normal to me, we had many pickups and vehicles and they pretty much all had rifle racks in them, heck in high school in the late 80's it was common for most vehicles in the school parking lot to all have weapons in the rear window including mine, the high school superintendant was a hunting freak and met me in the parking lot every morning just to see what I had shot on the way to school, he was a sucker for goose and pheasant which he got from me once or twice a week. 

Now kids get thrown out of school for even thinking about guns.

I have absolutely no problem with someone having guns in their vehicles (as long as they KNOW how and when to use them), but I guess US Steel just don't look at it the same way I do. I know of a guy that got banned for life because he had a spent .22 round in the  console of his truck. No weapon, just the spent round.

Now if we were talking the bed of the truck, I bet I'd have most of you beat. I've got a canopy that's 8" wider than the bed on each side. I built shelves for that area. Shovels, rakes, chain saws, herbicides, sprinkler parts, 2 cycle oil, tire chains, hose end sprayers, hand tools, hand saws, jack for truck, grass seed, fertilizer, mole poison, pole chain saw-hedge shear attachments for string trimmer, lopers, hand hedge shears. The shelves are really handy because I can use the truck for pleasure and have all that stuff off the bed and canopy keeps it all dry. Shelves are 12"x12"x length of bed rails and don't protrude inward more than a few " inside the rails.

My Grampa owned a dairy farm (he bought in 1899)...  Uncle owns in now... always had shotguns in the barn to protect the livestock.  As kids we'd spot nasty snapping turtles in the pond & gramps would dispatch then before they could injure a cow. 

From the time I got my horse...   I aways kept a couple of barn guns.  One in my shop, a single shot 12G with shells on a butt sleeve.  My barn gun was a Bay State Arms 16G single shot...  is behind my bedroom door as I write this.  Barrels cut to 18.5".  Accounted for hawks in the chicken coop, racoons, woodchucks both in the garden & digging holes in the pasture (horse with broken leg pretty much must be put down) & sick foxes.  It's a heart breaker to have to put down a good horse. 

I got good use of force training...  too many people do not understand the fine line between when you can use a defensive weapon & when you must hold your fire.   

Now kids get thrown out of school for even thinking about guns.

About 4 or 6 months back, wasn't there a young kid, like in the 3rd or 4th grade who made the news because he drew a picture of a gun and kicked out of school ?

WalMart plastic shoe boxes are what I used under my seat.  My bungies (used one original hole & drilled another) keep it from sliding froward on hard stops.  I have a smaller tupperware stacked on top & inside the shoe box. 

Wife was packing to go...  windshield wiper came off the arm.  It's not old & she been using it several limes as she moved the truck around the yard.  Mystery failure!  As far as I can tell, the click latch is AWOL on the one that came off.  Fortunately I had saved a previous set of wipers in the box when I installed winter wipers...  so this saved her trip & my windshield.  The used wiper snapped in with a solid click.  I just bought a new pair to go under the seat...  if it can happen once, it probably will again.  (Just have to remember to rotate the spares.

I also added a carpender's hammer to the tools...  just in case... 

Edited by flagmanruss