• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Procedure on changing the clutch

I'm ordering a South Bend and thought it would be pertinent to know what you guys have had to do to change the clutch in my 5 speed.  Any things I should watch out for or anything I need to get before I start.  I'm assuming I'm going to need a tranny jack and in saying that, do I have to split the tranny and transfer case if I have a tranny jack?

Thanks.

I think its easier if you split the trans and transfercase when doing it, If I remember correctly south bend balances the flywheel and pressure plate as an assembly so it will probably have a stripe of paint going across and you want to keep that lined up when you put everything together in the truck. Thats all I can really think of at the moment.

Wow.....  Did you have help?  Or are you that large green guy.

I had one other guy with me to make sure I didn't drop it and to help me stab it. I've done a couple clutches before and these aren't too bad just a bit heavy sometimes! :thumb1: I usually try to keep the green guy hidden! :tongue:

Just make sure you keep everything really clean when it comes to your clutch disk and plate, you don't want any foreign debris to get on it prior to install, i.e. grease, brake cleaner on the disk, brake fluid. etc.  Clean the inside of your bell housing while you have it out and check your input shaft for any signs of compromise and obviously make sure you get it oriented correctly.  I kept mine married when I swapped out my clutch and I did mine by myself but I suppose I cheated as I had a lift and a transmission jack.  If you haven't ever taken out your trans cross member you're in for a treat. its really not to bad of a job.  Which south bend are you putting in? Good luck

I'm getting the 13125-OK-HD.  Supposed to hold 425 at the wheels.  I've asked more than once if this is the correct clutch for my HP and trailer weight and they keep telling me yes so.....

Thanks everyone too for the advice but did anyone change their input shaft seal or should I bother?

I did not change mine, but I did not see any signs pointing to needing to either.  From what I have been told after speaking with a few different fellas that work for south bend and valair: both stated to me the clutches are rated below what they will and can actually handle, so I imagine you should be good to go.

when i replaced the clutch on my 6spd i did the easy way and dropped the tranny xcase in one piece. i replaced the all clutch internals with new, throw out arm/bearing/pivot ball/pivot ball clip and lubed the input shaft lightly and the groove inside the bearing <---- mandatory.  i replaced the rear main while i was in there. <---- take your time on this.

tossed it all back together and had zero issues since. i used a valair clutch single disk with pressure plate and had the flywheel resurfaced as it was in great shape.  took me and a friend a day to do it

Havent received my clutch yet as its on backorder.  I picked up a pivot ball and spring and I'll see how everything else looks when its apart.  I "may" just leave the tranny and t-case together since I have a jack.  We'll see.....

^^^^^ what he said.  you can build a make shift trans jack with some wood........and a long bolt through the middle that you can put a washer and nut on the bottom side of the jack bucket.....Just FYI.  Creative enginuity trumps adversity when you apply it.