• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball Joints?

On 9/2/2014 at 9:47 PM, CTcummins24V said:

Anyone have any info/tricks or part numbers? Thanks.

I got a bunch of random pipe that I cut to size when I need it, got a bucket full of random pieces through the years of making my own tools. I pick things up randomly, something I can't find laying around I get at a local steel place. Usually pay few bucks and they let me dumpster dive once in a while, although I haven't done that lately, you wouldn't belive what I got out of it. My front bumper is mostly from there along with things I made through the years. 

EDIT

Oh man I just realized I quoted a post from 2014 :doh::ahhh:

Edited by Dieselfuture

15 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Those darn things are expensive. 299 CAD or about 239.00 USD...

Yes, they certainly are. But being rebuildable I thought they might be a good option. I have just never heard of anybody using them until reading on CF.

Edited by Red Rambler

I look at it this way, if i put them in at that price and they only last 100k then I have to take it all apart again and rebuild them then hope the rebuild lasts that long. I can buy a good set for about 200 bucks, all four. They might not last but 100k, but I can put whole new set in for 200 or so bucks again.

I should add I know nothing about the company. No matter how cheap the rebuild kit is it is the labor that kills this job.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, dripley said:

I look at it this way, if i put them in at that price and they only last 100k then I have to take it all apart again and rebuild them then hope the rebuild lasts that long. I can buy a good set for about 200 bucks, all four. They might not last but 100k, but I can put whole new set in for 200 or so bucks again.

I should add I know nothing about the company. No matter how cheap the rebuild kit is it is the labor that kills this job.

I completely agree. The hardest part about ball joints is getting them out via a press or ball joint press. After that it's strictly cleaning and putting the new one in. These can be rebuilt while still in the spindle. I am just unsure about the longevity in between rebuilds. 

13 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

I completely agree. The hardest part about ball joints is getting them out via a press or ball joint press. After that it's strictly cleaning and putting the new one in. These can be rebuilt while still in the spindle. I am just unsure about the longevity in between rebuilds. 

I guess that is the unknown. Pretty pricey at $240 for the uppers alone. $100 ought to buy a good pair for uppers. I know you might not have to press them out but you still have to tear down the front end to get to them. Proven longevity needs to be determined and that is the big unknown. Same thing for all of them on the market now. I have Moot on mine now with near 170k. A little play in the but still hanging in there. Got them about the time Federal Mogul got their hands on Moog.