• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil smoke

well, you did say it started smoking after a long idle period?? perhaps the guide seals just needing some exercise to kinda reseal...

OH, btw, have you ever taken a sample of diesel w/ 2 stroke, and just let it set for a long time?

"Mason jar type experiment".. any chance it may have settled, and you sucked up some pretty strong concentration of oil?

• Owner

Daily driven. 6 days a week (Monday to Saturday). 12 miles to work and 12 miles home. It only started smoking after be shut down for a short period. Then fired up again you notice a bluish haze and then it would disappear. Then the first start of the morning would have a bluish haze too. Used about 2 quarts of oil in the last oil change which was odd. 2 cycle oil is typically pretty well mixed up after the AirDog pumps it up and spits it back out in the fuel tank at about 140 GPH. But again my truck normally doesn't sit very long maybe 8-12 hours and it rolling again.

But now the oil has been change its gone. Still using the same oil (Mobil Delvac 15w-40) as last time and the same filters (NAPA Gold) and roll of toillet paper (Scott's) in the Frantz bypass filter.

Bigger diesels do exactly that when you run past a change oil time that particular engine likes.  I drove a 475 Cat part time for almost 4 years and I could always tell when it was time as it would start using about a gallon of oil every couple weeks.  I normally almost never had to put any in.  My brothers Mack does the same thing.

• Like 1

• Owner

"around here, when sumthin stops leakin... It means it's outta oil"..

Maybe "Run 'er til she blows!!" :whistle::tongue:

hahahahahaha

Umm... It's full of oil. Actually slightly over filled. Kind of hard to hit the full mark with a 5 gallon bucket...

I'm getting ready to land on the moon (238,900 miles) I'm at 237,200 miles...

• Like 1

i have a theory. and it is just that. a theory.

the gunk in the oil keeps the seals from doing their job so it leaked down into the cylinders in which you saw smoke.

the new oil nice n clean of carbon and other gunk. left the seals to do their job.

i state this knowing my 93 22RE develops a rather massive oil leak after about 4500 miles on the oil. i can change the oil to reg dyno valvoline 10-30 and the leak all but stops. yes it's is weird. weird in deed. but it's still the fact of the matter. dirty oil lets seals not seal. 

Hmmm... The only thing I would say that I'm doing different that all the past is the main oil filter is NAPA filter. I might have to go back up to Grangeville, ID to the Cummins shop and get a few Fleetguard filters.

Geno's Garage has Fleetguard filters... FYI.

so i am having a similar issue, just reared its head yesterday. First time since rebuild too. engine is normal running temp and when exhaust brake is off, i am getting a faint blue oil haze from exhaust then goes away. if i decel with the exhaust brake and wait for the light with it on, when i push the go pedal is bellows blue smoke then clears quickly. so i either have a valve seal that rode up on the exhaust side or the backpressure on the newly rebuilt turbo is opening the seal and oil is getting by for a moment. ill check my findings tomorrow when i take valve cover off and check seals, i may switch to the "top hat" style seals but not sure if they will work on a 24v head

Just a quick question, how much oil could one potentially lose through a worn out turbo? I am now going through about a quart every 600-800 miles. Its getting pretty bad. I know I have some play in the turbo shaft. Not enough to let it contact the housing yet but more than I would like. As far as I know the turbo has never been opened and I just crossed 235k miles on the truck.