• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crankcase Vent Mod - question

Hey guys,

Just going to do the crankcase vent mod and I'm wondering whether or not you guys have glued your joints, or just pushed them together?  I'm assuming "slip fitting" means you just slip them together and friction does the rest.. but figured I'd better double check.

Thanks!

Definitely glue them. Or, better yet, thread them. I left mine not glued at first to make sure they would fit. After running for a little while I had some oil accumulation on the fittings closer to the engine. I know that you can get some threaded tubing and that might be the better way to go. That way you can disassemble it later if needed.

i glued mine to the point of the threaded downtube on the back of the engine. makes for removal easy to unscrew the downpipe and work on things. never had an issue. i am going to work on integrating a plastic catch bottle onto it so my truck stays clean

b

Run the tube down far enough and you won't have any splash to worry about.

• Like 1

on  my new to me  Jeep,  with the crd,   you wouldn't believe  where they are running the  ccv! 

..........  suction side of the turbo..... Now,  add  a  copious amount of  egr   ( yet again,  another  'marvel' of  technology)  a   venturi/butterfly valve  to  create  a  slight  vacuum  in the intake...

anyone,  anyone???    can  ANYONE  see  the problem of  adding  soot and  oily mist together?   Yep.       I found  a  pretty  common  flash mod to  electronically delete the  egr,  without   throwing a  cel    So that issue  will be   taken care of.

Expensive turbo hoses  rot out from the oil...  MAP  sensor need to be  cleaned  every  5000 miles..  plus  the  intake  runners   'grow shut'  in short order.

Which  brings me to   the real reason for posting  in this thread!...     You guys  running the  modded  ccv...  have you ever   experienced   'freeze up/plugging'   in the wintertime?     I'm   a member of  lostjeeps.com  and   guys  who are running  what they call  'ehm'   (elephant hose modification')    which is  removing the  ccv  from the  intake,  and  simply dumping it  to atmosphere.    Some  are running  a  reclaimer,  which is  removing  most of the oil mist,  and  still running the  left over air  back to  intake.... but most  are  just dumping to  atmosphere.   Which   a lot of  northerners are   finding out    isn't too cool  when the  rear main seal blows out.. due to a  frozen   hose..    

Anyone  care to  interject  why they freeze?     too many short trips..  and  water vapor  finally  grows it shut.. or   too close to the ground and road splash  piles up... or   possible  'catch can'  (some owners  don't care for  a  oil spot on their  driveway)     which  is too far away from  engine heat.. fills with  ice... and  makes the perfect plug?

I do service work in upscale neighborhoods. I am concerned about leaving oil spots too on paver driveways. I don't drip any oil. Oil in puke bottle must collect from angle of truck and inherently poor design of the system. That's why we do the mod. Once mod is done we don't puke anymore.

I never had any freeze issues with mine and I was in one of the coldest parts of the entire country last winter!! Like Mike said, I think with the engine right there it has enough heat to keep things defrosted. Mine doesn't drip at all either. I always thought if you were able to get any oil out of the ccv mod down the back of the engine, you might have excessive blowby.

• Like 1