• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Updating Dodge Computer

I recently found a list of factory recalls for the 1998.5 Cummins.

1. Adapter to the trailer hitch.

2. Fuel line from the fuel filter to the vp44.

3. Re Programming the on board computer.

Since I do not trust the Dodge Dealership to do anything but to screw me out of my money, I called them. My mane concern was the computer. They told me that it was done with their Computer which to me means that they just plug in a code reader to see what is going on. They said that they only re programs the part that controls the fuel throttle supply under the recall, if the computer required more re programming I would be notified and I agreed to re program any other defects I would be charger a minimum of $100.00 or $350.00 to re program the total computer. Is this another DODGE RIP OFF.

What do you folks know about the on board computer and is there a place other than Dodge that can do the computer work?  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Recalls are free and dodge is the only one that can do it. Do you know if the recalls are active or have already been done? And when I was there you actually loaded the newest software so the whole ecm is updated. I hate the mindset that dealers are bad and they are trying to screw you. Its not always true.

• Staff

Recalls are free and dodge is the only one that can do it. Do you know if the recalls are active or have already been done? And when I was there you actually loaded the newest software so the whole ecm is updated. I hate the mindset that dealers are bad and they are trying to screw you. Its not always true.

It is difficut to be positive when every time I go to a dealer, I've gotten screwed. It's like watch out what they put over on you. Quit thinking about just giving your money to them, get out of there and get second opinions, do more research.

I'm sorry mopartech it's been that way because of past experiences.

• Like 1

mopartechnician,

The Dealer looked up my Vin # and told me that the Recall had not been done, They also said the Recall would only cover what ever it is that operates the fuel and if they found anything that needed to be brought up to date I would be charged minimum of $100.00 to a maximum of $350.00. 

You being a Mopar Technician, will you tell me just how difficult it would be for them to bring my ecm up to date, and what labor and or materials will be necessary ? How do they just up date part of the ecm ?

I appreciate your imput and I am not disputing what you say, but again how does one only up date a portion of a ecm while attached to their computer?

I knew the high idle only takes a few moments. i worked at a dealer  (paint shop) when these trucks were new.

The service technicians were my friends, a couple still are.

Was told by a retired technician that most of the DRB tools were mostly trashed from a zillion guys using them for 15 plus years

Chris

From what it sounds like, it must be different from dealer to dealer. A couple of years ago I had my truck in the shop to be checked for that steering linkage recall and asked what it would cost to check and update my ecm if it wasn't. They checked it and said it was up to the latest and charged nothing because they did nothing. If it did need an update,, it was something like either a half hour or an hour labor charge and that is all. And it wasn't a $100 at that time.

Well now the rest of this story..

After three days of calling the local Dodge dealer to see if the ordered parts to repair my Cummins had arrived and the lady on the phone promised to find out and call me right back, I got P'oed off and called her. She told me that only part of the parts had arrived I called again the next day and they were there and an appointment was made to install said parts. The parts sent were wrong so I asked about re programing of he Computer. I was very selective of my speech and told her how much I appreciated her concern to complete this transaction. I waited in the customers lounge where I came close to getting beat up by a three hundred pound black woman that was trying to tell me that our Nations problems were caused by an all white Congress. Anyway I was rescued by the Lady parts manager who felt bad for me having to wait so long while battling off the Beast. Final results, The Dealer programmed the computer for free and my Cummins runs great. Sorry for the long story.