• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Shocks for 2001 with 2" leveling kit

I have been trying to figure out which shock will work for my truck and am not sure what to order for the front. I have a 2" leveling kit.

I see that Rock Auto has 2"lift specified with Rancho's but it notes "dual" shocks.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Owner

The biggest problem you'll have is the change in geometry of the front end and having to switch over to a adjustable front track bar. I just done one on a Ford Powerstroke and it was a serious PITA to do. After the shims went in nothing lined up properly. So a adjustable track bar has to be used and also would be advisable to have the front end aligned again too by a shop that knows how to work with custom suspensions.

I have rancho rs 7000 made for a leveling kit, they are super stiff and I wouldn't recommend them for asphalt driving. If you have the money, bilsteins...What Mike said, if you do the leveling kit, get an adjustable track bar, that's only thing keeping me from doing a leveling kit right now is the $400 for a track bar.

• Staff

Mike is right.... It cost me a lot of money to get my front right after a so called' simple 2'' level kit. It was worse when I'd load the back of truck and I'd get this major squat... so then it needed air bags to make it right. Oh man what a lot of money. That doesn't even count the time to recenter the steering wheel to 12 o'clock. That took a few hours. Recentering the differential to the truck chassi had to be done because of the vibration that felt like the front was going to fall apart.

Just don't do it.

• Owner

Every one looks at the cool factor but never consider the effect of changing just the front axle stance just a mere 2" is a big deal. It is!!! Now what does it do to the geometry of the rest of the front axle? How about longevity? If your really wanting to still do this I highly suggest you go to a high quality 4x4 shop and have it done correctly. This includes new shocks, new adjustable track bar, and full alignment by someone that does more that stock values which will not work any longer.

• Staff

Yes mike I had to do all that and still was not right till I installed the longer end links for the sway bar. Then it needed a more expensive  puller cause I couldn't get them off even with a big FAT hammer and heat :spend:

So there are all these problems with putting leveling kits on, but how about we get back to the original question. Anyone have any good part numbers for shocks they used with there leveling kits? I am in dire need of shocks as well and I have a 2.5 inch level kit in the front.

• 2 weeks later...

I have rancho rs 7000 made for a leveling kit, they are super stiff and I wouldn't recommend them for asphalt driving. If you have the money, bilsteins...What Mike said, if you do the leveling kit, get an adjustable track bar, that's only thing keeping me from doing a leveling kit right now is the $400 for a track bar.

Wow, what a difference the new Bilsteins made in the ride. Looked like original shocks with 107,000 miles on them. Only problem will be the shiner on my right eye that I will have in the morning from dropping the 3/4 drive ratchet.

Thanks for the help.

I do plan to remove the leveling kit when I wear out these big tires.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about 2" level for a front bumper I'm about to make, anyone uses 2" coils from superlift. Any pros and cons. Or should I just see how much front end sags and make my own spacers to compensate for sag. Maybe 1" is all it would take. I don't need it to look level as I agree with Mike, it gets level when in use. And I'm not going to put anything bigger than 285/75/17 Any thoughts or suggestions. I seen some longer control arms but for the cost and what I'm doing it would be a waste of money, if I went 6" then I can see how it would be worth it but all I'm doing is putting on a 200 lb or so bumper on front. I thought if I get 2" coils then maybe I can get air bags for rear, but usually I don't tow anything over 10k and don't need bags at this point. Just brainstorming before I decide which rout to go. Thanks.

• Staff

Bilsteins for the OEM height will work. They are the best shock I have ever used.

On the detour the thread has taken... I have ran a 2" and a 1". I like the 1" much better, it still improves the appearance and increases the oil pan clearance (main goal), while providing more tire to firewall clearance and a substantially better ride.

2" looks better but that's about it. It was a major pain when loaded as the airbags took a ton of air to stay level which made the ride much worse.

With the 1" I need a fraction of the air as a 2" and the ride is much better loaded and empty.

I don't buy the geomety and longevity issues, not for a second. My brothers bone stock 06 Hemi QCLB sits a hair higher than my 1" levels truck. Even a 2" levels truck is still within the stock geometry specs. An adjustable track bar is for appearance only.

• Like 1

Bilsteins for the OEM height will work. They are the best shock I have ever used.

On the detour the thread has taken... I have ran a 2" and a 1". I like the 1" much better, it still improves the appearance and increases the oil pan clearance (main goal), while providing more tire to firewall clearance and a substantially better ride.

2" looks better but that's about it. It was a major pain when loaded as the airbags took a ton of air to stay level which made the ride much worse.

With the 1" I need a fraction of the air as a 2" and the ride is much better loaded and empty.

I don't buy the geomety and longevity issues, not for a second. My brothers bone stock 06 Hemi QCLB sits a hair higher than my 1" levels truck. Even a 2" levels truck is still within the stock geometry specs. An adjustable track bar is for appearance only.

I agree with you, I just ordered 4 belstines from ebay it was best deal I could find and looks like guy sold a lot of them, so hoping their not fake Chinese.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this old thread back up. I am finally getting around to ordering some replacement shocks for the old truck. I do still have the 2.5in leveling kit. I am running a factory track bar still as well with no issues. I am not sure why everyone else is having issues making things fit and work right.

Anyway, does anyone know what the minimum extended length needs to be for front shocks to work with the leveling kit? I know AHI64D says the stock bilsteins will work but I cant find a spec on the extended length for those.

Thanks tons!!

My leveling kit is much much cheaper, easier, and much more enjoyable.

2m6rbix.jpg

29woi1w.jpg

2rfzt45.jpg

I just saved a bunch of money leveling my way... :tongue:

I just noticed, are them chrome balls hanging of your truck? LOL. One time I put two basketballs in a net sack and hung it in the back on my monster truck I used to drive in town, got a lot of people honking and waiving, also in big letters on tailgate it said "if you got the nuts follow my ruts" we had great time, and now all places we used to go play got closed down, what a bunch of joy killers we got running the show.

Sorry to bring this old thread back up. I am finally getting around to ordering some replacement shocks for the old truck. I do still have the 2.5in leveling kit. I am running a factory track bar still as well with no issues. I am not sure why everyone else is having issues making things fit and work right.

Anyway, does anyone know what the minimum extended length needs to be for front shocks to work with the leveling kit? I know AHI64D says the stock bilsteins will work but I cant find a spec on the extended length for those.

Thanks tons!!

Edited by Dieselfuture

Thanks tons!!

This is what I got and supposed to be for stock +2'' of lift, mine is stock in rear and got plow springs in front maybe 1/2'' over stock. these seem to work good. ride is better too. They are a bit on long side, should work good with 2" you got.

post-1102-0-85294100-1424622605_thumb.jp

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1