• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Lash Adjustment

dorkweed

Finally got around to getting it done today.  What an effing PITA!!!!  Valve bank 4 is sort of under the cowl and ,5 and 6 are totally under the cowl and you need to be part monkey to get at them with wrenches and feeler gauges!!! :duh:  :2cents:

Only have 215,486 miles on MightyWhitey and it's the first time done on her.  None were crazy out of whack, but some were tight and some were loose.  I turned the engine over using a socket on the alternator bolt.  Only drew blood on one finger during the whole ordeal.

• Like 1

Should my truck sound/feel different after doing this????

I think I'm noticing smoother/more even acceleration....................and a bit less noise at idle.

Or is it from working the snot/blowing the carbon out of her on my NoDak trip???

Did this after NoDak trip also.

• 6 months later...
  • Owner
  • Staff

It shouldnt' feel different, but you are twice the reccommended adjustment interval. Even thou Cummins says 100K miles I do mine more often and even then it made small feel differences.

What did you set the to? Many people set the exhaust to 0.018" to get a little more exhaust out on HPCRs due to the short duration on the OEM cam. It can increase drive pressure a little, but from how I gather you use your truck it wouldnit be an issue on DP but maybe a little more spool/performance for free.

Did you adjust them all or just if they where out of spec?

How close are you to an oil change? My silicone always goes up after a valve lash since it is very hard to keep the dust off the valve train.

It shouldnt' feel different, but you are twice the reccommended adjustment interval. Even thou Cummins says 100K miles I do mine more often and even then it made small feel differences.

What did you set the to? Many people set the exhaust to 0.018" to get a little more exhaust out on HPCRs due to the short duration on the OEM cam. It can increase drive pressure a little, but from how I gather you use your truck it wouldnit be an issue on DP but maybe a little more spool/performance for free.

Did you adjust them all or just if they where out of spec?

How close are you to an oil change? My silicone always goes up after a valve lash since it is very hard to keep the dust off the valve train.

I did adjust them all.  As I said, some were "loose" and some were "tight".  I did the .020 and .010 exhaust and intake for my '04.5.

None were crazy loose or crazy tight.  Maybe just the fact that I did something to my Cummins made my "rear-end" hyper-sensitive!!!  The SOP-meter was pegged!!! :thumb1:  :ashamed:

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the adjustments on my 01 a few weeks ago. It had about 60k on it since the last time it was done and the difference was very noticible. Most of the valves were about 4-6 thousanths loose!! Maybe it is just because its a noisy 24 valve, but just the sound difference was huge for me.

On this note, does anyone have the valve specs for a 1992 era chevy 305CID motor? I am getting ready to change the valve cover gaskets and with over 260k on it, it is probably time!!