• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First Hard Start... 81500 miles.... question

• Staff

I got momentary dead pedal on very very slow take off when cold. So I put on the Timbo Apps with no dead spots afterward. Howver, I got one hard start when the engine was still hot.

How long did you guys run your old VP after hard starts? Thank you in advance.

• Owner

I understand there are 3 other items that cause hard starts.

Bad or intermittent ASD relay.

Bad or intermittent fuel shut off relay.

Bad overflow Valve.

Assuming everything else in good order.

As for the ASD relay swap with another relay. This should be tripping a P1389 code.

As for fuel pump relay swap with another relay. This should be tripping a P1689 code.

As for the overflow valve its rarely. bad but you could pull it out and test.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/88-bosch-vp44-injection-pump-overflow-valve

• Staff

Those are the 3 things I read about on other forums. It's not like I'm so experienced that l know how to solve all  problems. :)  Basically shootin in the dark tryin' to avoid the 44 is the truth of the matter. 

• Staff

Yes, when the dead pedal occurred. Codes where 500 from laying scratch on my gravel and 0216 for about 3 years now without any symptoms other than momentary fuel cavitation. Next mod is the Hellman tank sump with a swing away skid plate to stop the cavatation.

Edited by JAG1

Just make sure you have a savings fund going for that VP-44 that you will eventually have to be forced to replace once the rotor seizes up.  With P0216, it can go on for years running fine with degraded fuel economy but it can also die tomorrow.  I am sure you already know this but just in case. 

• Staff

I'm watching for decreased fuel economy, white smoke, rough idle, and any other notable signs. None so far. It's very weird since fuel econ. has gotten better, not hand calculated, just what's on the overhead computer. Weird because I've never had such great fuel mileage like I have lately.

I'm watching for decreased fuel economy, white smoke, rough idle, and any other notable signs. None so far. It's very weird since fuel econ. has gotten better, not hand calculated, just what's on the overhead computer. Weird because I've never had such great fuel mileage like I have lately.

Mine says I get 28mpg... It can NOT be trusted. I actually get right around 22 hand calculated. That is the only way you will know if your fuel economy is decreasing.