• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High idle magically appeared

Mulcher flashed my ecm last summer and it must have included the high idle update. Temps have been near 20* last couple of nights and the high idle came one after a minute or so of starting. Running about 1,300 rpm. It's running on 6 cylinder high. I do not have the idle fooler mod.

Edited by joecool911

Never did it before. Doesn't the ECM need to be flashed in order for it to work with the switch? If it's something that can be flashed by dodge, it must be there somewhere. Just high idle. Comes on after about a minute and I moved my truck to hook up a trailer and left it running. Came back on again until I hit the throttle like you would an automatic choke on a carburetor. Then moved the truck and trailer to another position in the driveway and left running. High idle came on again. It comes up slow until it hits about 1,300. After you start driving it goes away. Never did it before the ECM was flashed by a smarty. And 6 months we'er having a cold snap and overnight temps are about 20*. Came about last 2 mornings. Coldest temps this year.

3 cylinder is at like 13 deg i think.

it's there if the normal 6 cylinder works then the 3 cylinder one will also.

here it is on my truck ,mine wasn't running right and well. it failed the first time then about 5 minutes later 3 cyl worked as it should have.

http://youtu.be/ZkEroUvtLtA?list=UUVuwlr23wPbroviN_JfUDhQ

edit for hitting wrong keys.

now that's it's enabled you can buy the switch or make your own. nothing else need me enabled.

the normal idle up happens at or below 32 deg. and i think 3 cylinder is 13. but i'm not 100% on that. it's close to that though.

as long as intake air temp is below 32 and you haven't moved the truck after a min or so it'll start to idle up again. Mike has/had a video somehwere how it works. i'm unable to find it right now though.

Edited by Killer223

Mulcher flashed my ecm last summer and it must have included the high idle update.

No switch is needed to make it high idle on it's own with the programming of the ECM.  The smarty flash contains the high idle feature of the ECM Cummins created. 

The switch is for when you want to control having it when you want it.  The ECM will high idle until 150*f ish is reached wherea s the high idle switch fooelr the ecm into never seeing above 143*f so high idle will stay enabled until you want to use the truck.  This is VERY useful in multiple situtations. 

Edited by me78569

• Owner

Once the high idle feature is enable you get both 3 cylinder and 6 cylinder high idle features.

Here is the manual for the Version 2 High idle switch.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/64-mopar1973man-com-high-idle-kit/455-mopar1973man-com-high-idle-operation-manual

i know the 3rd gens don't have the 3 cylinder, but i also see another difference. mine will auto high idle even at operating temp if outside temp is below 32. i drove to work today was 12 deg my coolant temp was 188, intake was 63, sitting there talking to coworkers mine idled up...

i can always use the cruse control to idle it up as well.