• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Differences in VP pumps

Ok all, as I may be in the market for another VP, what are the differences in the VP pumps? 

I have a 6 speed manual truck. Will any other pumps fit on this engine? I keep hearing that the automatic transmission pumps are different, then there is a SO and HO pump/engine. 

Truthfully am almost out of $$ to spend on this truck and hoping to find a used pump off of a wrecked truck, and need to know what would work and not.

Thx,

FT

Any VP44 off of a 98.5-02 truck will work fine.

You have an HO pump.

Ed

Ed, 

Thanks very much. Had heard that the auto tranny pumps had electric stuff going to the transmission but was hoping that the manual gearbox would work with any.

Is there any big difference in the SO versus HO pumps as far as power? 

Thx,

FT

Great info guys, I am running a stock engine with the exception of the updated injectors and the Edge controller, so an extra 10 hp is not a big deal.

Truthfully am getting tired of this VP throwing codes and looking for something reliable...

Thanks much!

FT

So you guys would go with CPP over Blue Chip?

Only real reason I would go with BC is that they have a 2 year warranty on the better pumps...

Every pump that is showing on CPP has only a one year warranty and I am getting really tired of changing pumps... 

Thx, FT

• Owner

So you guys would go with CPP over Blue Chip?

Only real reason I would go with BC is that they have a 2 year warranty on the better pumps...

Every pump that is showing on CPP has only a one year warranty and I am getting really tired of changing pumps... 

Thx, FT

PREMIUM UPGRADED Blue Chip Rebuilt VP44 Injection Pump $1850.00

This version exact replacement VP44 pump has ALL the mechanical and electronic upgrades presently available, including an upgraded replacement housing with a steel sleeve, but most importantly a NEW Upgraded Computer with zero heat cycles on it, to provide a long life expectancy and great value for your money. This injection pump will restore the power and improve your fuel economy back to what it was when your truck was new. This is the pump for you if you plan on keeping your truck for a long time. This is the one that will truly lower your cost per year or cost per mile in the long run. This injection pump is the one that made our reputation over the years, as we have LESS than a 2% failure rate with this version. It comes with a one year unlimited mileage warranty.

Rather high price...

CPP is $995 right now and he shows they are place on the Bosch test stand but nothing said about new PSG used or not? You might ask. If you do find out let us know.

I beleive Jamie commented on the Cummins Forum that he also has new computers on all of this pumps.  Worth asking though,  my memory is hazy.

Thats one must for me now, I refuse to buy any pump that does not have a new computer board on the puppy. 

Will check and get back to you guys...

Also looking at other VP sellers on the internet, and several offer a better warranty. That plus the reputation of Blue Chip (in the old days) was the reason I was looking at them. 

Throughbred offers an 18 month warranty on their Plus model...

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/vp44-pump.htm?gclid=CP2xi_jBvsICFZSEfgodaqkAGQ

Then "The Diesel Store" gives a 2 year warranty on some of their pumps.

http://thedieselstore.com/replacement-parts/fuel-injection-pumps-146/dodge-cummins.html

Am just really tired of swapping out VP's and losing the $1000 and 5-6 hours of my time every year or so... 

Thx, 

FT

a lot of them use common rebuilders so ensure you find out who actually built the pump.

Nick, 

Have heard this. As long as its a good pump could care who does it as long as they stand by the warranty.

The last guy I bought the pump from did not stand behind what he agreed to and I will probably be taking him to small claims court over it. 

Thx, FT