• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

engine runaway! not good

Well. I went to pass a Sunday driver going up a hill. Doing 50 in a 65 .. i passed him up got on the throttle a bit a she just kept taking off until I was able to slam the throttle few times.... it could have been real ugly because I came real close to rear ending few cars and it's raining. I did notice today the Trans searching for overdrive or whatever gear... just jumping in and out . Also my data console up above the rear view said CCD.. last week I reset the APPS wich helped my shifts a lot smoother and made a huge driveability difference. .. i need help on this fellas. I have the $$ to fix it right the first time. That's it.. thanks in advance.

VP says reman on it I owned truck for 30,000 miles.

Injectors I believe are stock

When I first saw this in the 12 valve section I was a bit concerned that I heard of my first P pump run away!

Since there are a few reasons for it to run away you need to do some investigating. I doubt it is your turbo since you got it to settle down. A turbo would have just kept it going 'til she let go. Scan it for codes. It could have also been your APPS. I had a car that would do something very similar and it was the TPS (same as the APPS) sticking and telling the computer the throttle was pressed farther than it was.

• Like 1

Thnx fellas for ur responses.. i will have time to go thru them later today.. I'm leaning towards apps or cable. I haven't been able to check. My truck does burn oil. Did ever since we did a rebuild on #6 cylinder. How would a turbo cause a runaway? Interesting because it does burn some oil about 2 -3 quarts / 1000 city miles...

Thnx fellas for ur responses.. i will have time to go thru them later today.. I'm leaning towards apps or cable. I haven't been able to check. My truck does burn oil. Did ever since we did a rebuild on #6 cylinder. How would a turbo cause a runaway? Interesting because it does burn some oil about 2 -3 quarts / 1000 city miles...

If the compressor oil seal is leaky, it will let oil into the intake which the engine will burn.  If it's leaky enough, the engine will run away.

• Like 1

• Owner

I would look into the turbo and intercooler being you are using oil.

• Like 1

Most all turbos are zero balanced which means each individual part is balanced by itself, so you don't have to worry about getting it out of balance when rebuilding one. I know all holset turbos are balanced this way.

Edited by bjytech

If you had changed turbos and there wasn't a change in the oil consumption, I would think that the turbo is probably ok. Real easy way to check though. Just pull off the intercooler hose coming down from the turbo. If you have oil in the tube, I would be fixing the turbo.

Now, with that said, I am leaning towards an APPS issue myself. If you said it kept going until you hit the throttle a couple of times seems to me like there is something sticking with the sensor or the cable. Not to mention, resetting the APPS helped your transmission shifting tells me that the APPS probably isn't working correctly anymore.

A very awesome replacement APPS is made by Timbo. Very quality product and comes with great instructions. Check here: Timbo

A very awesome replacement APPS is made by Timbo. Very quality product and comes with great instructions. Check here: Timbo

Just to clear the facts the Timbo apps is not made by him, it is merely an apps that is used on medium duty truck applications with the same engine. It is an OEM apps from either freightliner or KW most likely he just put together the kit with instructions on how to adjust it and maybe changes the pinouts and deutch connector for our application. It is a heavier duty adjustable apps is all.

One could source the same apps cheaper most likely if one new the part # and which mfg uses it.

• Like 1