• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 advice needed

I've been away for a long while but I've been busy. It's that time again..... Time for another VP44 and lift pump.  :cry: I've been looking around and CPP seems to be where you get the most bang for your buck.  This is what I was considering. Would anybody advise different??? I don't want to go with thoroughbred diesel again and I can't afford a blue chip pump. My main concern is the fass lift pump since their VPs have all new electronics. Are they legit? Anybody have any experiences (good or bad) with CPP???  Thanks in advance.

http://www.cumminsperformanceparts.com/vp44fasscombo.html 

Dead pedal and it's throwing 0216 and 1693 codes.  It's not the same as the dead pedal I had before tho.  The throttle isn't totally unresponsive, but the truck won't really accelerate either.  If I push the clutch in and rev the motor high then release the clutch it will drive normal for a few minutes. At first I thought it may be APPS, which I haven't reset yet, but when I did the key trick it threw those codes and no other codes at all.  I had to do Mopar Man's relay for the raptor lift pump about 6 months after I had it put on because it was hard starting after the truck warmed up.  Now the truck is sometimes hard starting even with the relay in line along with the unresponsive throttle.  I think I  have been running  on a dying pump for the last 18 months.  It's just getting to where it's almost totally dead now.  Also, I have gone from getting 18-19 mpg to getting 12-15mpg.  The VP and the raptor are just a little over two years old.

Edited by RubberDuck01

• Staff

I've been running long trips on 0216 code for 3 years. I think the 1693 is a companion code.

The last trip I got dead pedal on a slow roll. So I changed the original APPS over to the new TIMBO APPS. Keeping my fingers crossed on my way home, (650 miles), I got a hard start. So I think it's time for a VP. I just hope that I don't try and convince myself of that by getting stuck somewhere.

I bought mine from Vulcan Performance which came from Pacific Fuel Injection. I called to ask if they always change the PSG board and they said we won't do a VP rebuild without changing to new electronics. Their number is 503 283 5615

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Some older Raptors came with a tiny screen on the inlet side of the pump. Make sure that's not clogged and just take it out. That is not a good solution for a prefilter. You'll need a prefilter just to help save the lift pump. It also keeps better flow thru the factory filter by having twin filters, helps not to overwelm the factory filter.

Assuming you have removed all banjos and don't have clogged in tank screens, your good to go. If you do find any restrictions It could be causing your 0216 code and might find that your old lift pump okay.

You know inside the tank module there are screens in the bottom of the module housing, but there is also a small screened cartridge filter, like an in line gasoline filter, plastic, that has screens inside it. These might be a problem. All that stuff gone from my truck. Shouldn't be there in the first place. Just want good fuel flow and clogs I can get to by change friendly filters..

I forgot to say that Pacific fuel injection is the same company as Midwest fuel injection.

Edited by JAG1

Thanks for that information.  I have a draw straw but I haven't installed it.  I'm mechanically inclined but I HATE mechanic work. I just don't have the patience for it.  I'm off work for the next couple of weeks so I might try to tackle the draw straw project.  I guess I never did it because the instructions that come with it are pretty vague and I've been afraid to tackle it myself.  I have replaced all the banjos with pushlock fittings.  I took the fuel lines off of the raptor to replace the quick connect fittings and I don't recall if it had a screen or not.  I'll check that out too.  I would love it if I didn't have to replace the vp, but I will probably replace the raptor anyway just because I don't really like it, haven't from the start.

Jamie is the man at CPP. If your raptor is within the past 3 years, you probably have the cheap plastic quick connects & there have been numerous failures from then till now with their pumps. I think it was Fass that had a screen on the inlet. None of my raptors/replacement raptors has them.

Ed

Just another thought, have you tried changing the fuel filters? The pressure drop seems kind of odd but then again raptors are known for major pressure problems. As for the FASS, that is really the only good name in diesel aftermarket electric lift pumps. They make a great product and from what I heard have excellent customer service. There are a few other brands out there that seem to make a decent pump as well (BD, Fuelab, etc.) but as far as I am concerned FASS is the only one that had proven itself. You may also want to look into switching over to a mechanical lift pump. DTT Assassin and the Fuel Boss are the 2 major players in the mechanical world.

So, I installed the draw straw yesterday and at first I thought it was going to help things. I was wrong. My fuel pressure situation has stayed the same 20 psi at idle, 15 at 2k rpm, and last night on the way home I really stomped it in 3rd gear on an incline and she dropped to 7psi. The intermittent pedal problem seems to have improved a little but it's still there. I ordered a FASS titanium series 95 gph pump last night from CPP and also ordered a remote prefilter to install in front of the pump since I removed all the tank filters. I dont really understand whats going on with this thing because she runs as strong as ever when the fuel pedal isn't acting up. Could this be an apps issue or is it all lp/vp related???