• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

lf9028 and what oil?

Killer223

I like Valvoline blue for conventional (Cummins certified) Then Rotella T ( only because an old automotive machinist told me 25 years ago it could`nt be beat).

as for synthetics.. I don`t think you can beat Mobil 1 for price and performance. JMO.

I have been running Baldwins BT7349.. Its handy to get when I buy their PF7977 fuel filter.

Edited by angus

well had to change the oil, My OCD wouldn't let me keep it past the 7500 miles. we have a big snow storm on it's way and i didn't want to be changing it in the mud if the sample came back it need to be changed. i sent off an oil sample. pending it's results maybe this next oil will last longer. the oil was still very slippery between the fingers. i know it still had life but how much i'm not sure. i await the results. i went with Valvoline Premium blue 5/40 synthetic. changed the fuel filters as well. i drained the bowl into a mason jar, no water or dust that my eyes could see anyhow. will let it set for a day or so with lid on tight.

well had to change the oil, My OCD wouldn't let me keep it past the 7500 miles. we have a big snow storm on it's way and i didn't want to be changing it in the mud if the sample came back it need to be changed. i sent off an oil sample. pending it's results maybe this next oil will last longer. the oil was still very slippery between the fingers. i know it still had life but how much i'm not sure. i await the results. i went with Valvoline Premium blue 5/40 synthetic. changed the fuel filters as well. i drained the bowl into a mason jar, no water or dust that my eyes could see anyhow. will let it set for a day or so with lid on tight.

I don`t think you can go wrong with any of Valvoline`s products.. So was the Premium Blue (synthetic) $28 a gallon?

I was looking at a link from wally world, and they had Mobil 1  5/40 for $26 a gallon.. just curious how competitive they are

Edited by angus

• Staff

http://www.valvoline.com/products/commercial-industrial-products/heavy-duty-diesel-engine-oils/11

They claim Cummins approved 5,000 change extension.. Just crunching the numbers it sounds like a small price to pay for the added benifits

But which Cummins engine?

I wouldn't be extending a 2007.5+ any past the light if the emissions was still intact. The OCI on those motors is based on fuel dilution, and there isn't an oil that can help with that.

• Like 1

But which Cummins engine?

I wouldn't be extending a 2007.5+ any past the light if the emissions was still intact. The OCI on those motors is based on fuel dilution, and there isn't an oil that can help with that.

Hmmm, I`m not familiar with the later model emissions junk, but I think you raise a valid point.. even an older engine depending on the health (blow by) etc.. may not be wise to push the limits?

My concern with extended change intervals is at what point does that black oil begin to leave sludge deposits in your engine?

Can you actually run 12k in a healthy 03 CR without being right on the edge?

If you added a bypass filter (your choice of brand), you could go to yearly oil changes (maybe longer with OA) IMHO even with dino oil.

With the $$$ you're wasting changing out synthetic oil that frequently, a bypass would pay for itself in no time.

• Like 1

My views on synthetic oils have always been based on operating conditions, and not so much service intervals.... Ironically my Cummins lives a relitively sheltered life, and its my old GMC gas rig that pulls stock trailers, and a 12k hay trailer in the middle of summer.

With only a 5 quart system this is the truck I should probably be the most concerned with.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Kinda bored today, and found this interesting read.  Particularly the facts about cold startup, and storage.

that's what i was reading and made me change my oil yesterday.

i did notice the start up is quieter.

this is what my manual tell me.

This filter has a sort of bypass built in. will it really be worth it? idk, do we really use the other normal filters to their full potential? i'm not sure either.? how does one know if their filter is "full" and is opening the bypass valve?

• Staff

It all depends on the filter, many of them are not designed to last that long. While it's unlikely you will plug it, why not change a cheap filter??

To me that's more of a fuel filter thing, thou it does effect all filter I just don't worry about it on oil.

You also keep a bit of the old oil in the motor.

A really good oil filter is 15um absolute and a really good fuel filter is 3um absolute as a fuel system has tighter tolerances.

On my diesel I change both oil filters with the oil, but on my gasser I change the bypass every other year. On the diesel I want all the sooty oil gone, on the gasser it's okay to have a little leftover oil.

• Like 1

On my '04.5..................this is what I do now............

I do yearly change outs of oil and OEM filter and 1 roll of TP.  At or around 6 months of the prior change, I change out the TP and add 1qt of "make up" oil.  I still get essentially "stellar" reports from Blackstone.

I put on about 20,000 miles/year.

On my '04.5..................this is what I do now............

I do yearly change outs of oil and OEM filter and 1 roll of TP.  At or around 6 months of the prior change, I change out the TP and add 1qt of "make up" oil.  I still get essentially "stellar" reports from Blackstone.

I put on about 20,000 miles/year.

:popcorn: .. What is one roll of TP?? I hope its not what I think. :whistle: