• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

emisions testing

Lynn, I'm in Weber County as well and I don't think there is a way to test emissions on the older diesels.  I haven't heard of this but now you have me wanting to look into it.  Don't take offence, but I hope you are wrong. 

Well that doesn't sound fun.  A year ago Hill AFB implemented a program that any car on base has to have an emissions test, even if it were registered in a county that didn't require it.  However, the older diesel vehicles were exempt.  Thanks for the article, I would have never seen it.

Here in the county I live in Idaho they have started doing emission testing.  Both my gen 2 and gen 3 have to be tested.  The only thing they test for is opacity.  Then they physically look over the truck to make sure original emission equipment (that the vehicle came with) is still in place (i.e. kitty etc.)  They don't test it in any way but if it is missing then you don't pass. 

Glad I don't have a gen 4.

• Staff

Here in the great state of California if the diesel light duty truck is a 1998½ or newer with computer control it has to be inspected every two years or if it is sold. The inspection consist of: 1. is the check engine light on, 2. are the OBD 2 monitors set (P codes have not been cleared recently), 3. Under the hood inspection (no chip boxes, my Edge EZ is illegal and if left on would fail the test) and 4. Accelerator snap test for ANY smoke from the tail pipe (any smoke seen and the truck fails). 

To find out about state requirements and/or test procedures do a search, ( insert state name here) vehicle emission test / diesel emission test or stop by a test facility and ask the operator what they look for.

Edited by IBMobile

I wonder of they would find my XZT+ under my floor mat...  or my IAT fooler.  I think RI looks for visible exhaust smoke (I get annual state inspections with XZT on stock setting), no CEL.  They can't put 4 WD on dyno (exempted wife's previous Subaru also).  I don't know if there was a CAT originally but I have a FTE resonator & a muffler (2 units in the exhaust) & doubt they could tell an aftermarket replacement.  NOte:  I'm 8800 gvw. 

• Staff

I wonder of they would find my XZT+ under my floor mat...  or my IAT fooler.  I think RI looks for visible exhaust smoke (I get annual state inspections with XZT on stock setting), no CEL.  They can't put 4 WD on dyno (exempted wife's previous Subaru also).  I don't know if there was a CAT originally but I have a FTE resonator & a muffler (2 units in the exhaust) & doubt they could tell an aftermarket replacement.  NOte:  I'm 8800 gvw. 

I don't think they would find it either. They just do a quick visual inspection to see if anything has been added or removed without taking anything off.   Remember, time is money and they aren't getting paid to do remove and replace work.

If the vehicle requires a CAT and it's been replaced the "new one" has to have the paper work to show that it is certified by the California Air Resource Board (CARB). CARB is the main reason you see auto parts marked "not legal for sale in California".

Vehicles 14,000 lb or less need to be tested.

If the vehicle is full time 4 wheel drive then it is not tested on the dyno, but given a static test.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

War Eagle is down around Boise area so I know they do emission testing. But up here I'm still exempt for the time being. I've heard rumors that EPA want to get into the rural areas too. But nothing happened. I got to admit it would be a PITA every year to pull the stealth plate off. I'm sure they look for it.

Up in Spokane WA we have to do a emissions test every 2 years. They just do a snap test (push down the accelerator and let up). We have to do this 3 or 4 times. They have never looked under the hood to see what is or what is not there. I have been using 2 cycle oil for quite awhile and have never failed the test.

• Like 1