• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vibration at speed

Not sure if this is the correct area to put this, sorry if it is Mike

Anyways, just want to get your thoughts on what I have going on. Between 40-50mph I'm getting some vibration which I'm thinking is a tire balance issue? It's almost like I'm going over a whole bunch of small bumps in the road, but that's not it because it happens everywhere that I'm between 40-50mph. It's nothing violent and doesn't effect the steering or anything, but it is annoying. Should I check anything else?  

Sorry for the delayed reply fellas, been swamped lately!

So just so you guys know I'm only 2wd (if that changes anything) and I'm not too savvy on how to check most of the stuff you guys are suggesting checking! :ashamed:

John, what's cupping?

Would I just be better off dropping it off at the shop and having them give it the once over? I know that's not ideal (especially with this group! :tongue: ) but I'm not that great when it comes to this kind of work on vehicles!

• Owner

Ok... Nothing you need a shop for.

For tires just take your hands and run them over the face of the tread feeling for uneven tread face. Usually you can see cupping occur as a spot wore lower in one spot. Like my last set of tire were cupping on the inside edge some and visual you could see the little cups.

For bearing just jack up each tire and the grab from the top and the bottom. Try rocking the tire. If the tire moves the bearings are wore. Should be zero movement.

Driveshaft I suggest removal. Once removed and tension off the u-joints you can feel how loose the joints are. Also then you can check the driveshaft carrier bearing for issues as well.

Rotors are easy too jack up a axle and stand a pointed object up with the point near the edge of the rotor. Now slowly rotate the tire and see if the rotor wanders in/out much. Also do it for the wheels to. If the wheels wander in and out you might check and see if the wheel was seated completely before tightening.

I'll be doing all these as soon as I get rid of the Chevy Blazer in my shop today.