• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

new aluminum prop shaft.

from what i've been reading on forums, if i want a one piece shaft then

52123161AC

is the one to get. but they all say mega dully, or 4 door dully, have yet to see one say 4 door long box, 48re, 11.5 rear axle.  4x4.

does anyone here have any incite into these matters.?

What are the advantages of the one piece driveshaft?  My 07 mega has a slight vibration when starting out.  Ive changed the centering bearing and a u-joint with no luck so far.  I have heard the one piece driveshaft is the answer, any thoughts?

On my 02 when I was power pulling I had a one piece steel built with heavier tubing and stronger 1480 series yokes at both ends instead of the OEM 1410 IIRC. I think I had about 400-500 into it. Sold it to another puller for the same price years later when I sold the pickup.

• Owner

I can see the aluminium driveshaft for efficiency reasons. Less rotational mass. At the same token I can see Bill's comment too if you into heavy pulling / towing it might be best to stay with steel. Also depends on the size of tires your running and how much HP/TQ your producing.

The rotational mass tiny. In my opinion, the aluminum is for drag cars where each 100lbs is a tenth of a second.

Steel is stronger, cheaper, fixable, and had infinite life unlike aluminum.

There has to be a reason dodge did the two piece. Perhaps cost, or perhaps the side load from the single piece wears out tail shaft bearings? Bill?

I'd like to go to a single when my two piece bites the dust.

Easier to balance the 2 piece steel when its all new but harder when older and worn plus they get to sell more parts and service down the road.

A lot of the newer rigs went with long one piece steel which was more rare and or aluminum as the pic shows. The Suburbans have always ran a one piece and they were really long.

• Staff

I am running a 1 piece and so far I like it. I have arond 10K miles on it. I has 1550 ujoints which took over 1000 miles to break-in and that first 1000 miles had some serious low speed vibs. I still think there is a little more low rpm resonance than the 2 piece but it is a big arse alum shaft.

Nice thing is no carrier bearing and only 2 u-joints to replace when he time comes., and 1550s are cheaper than the OEM 1480's.

53aedaa6773c07645f20afd43bfb81d8.jpg

gotta say, even in the 12 miles i've driven with it, total difference. well worth it in my book thus far. i know i kow 12 miles big deal. but my ever so slight vibration at 73 is now gone.

505$ well spent. now to rebuild the front.