• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

RV troubles from the weekend

The family and I went to Lava Hot Springs, Idaho last weekend.  In between all of the fun times that we had, the trailer gave us a few problems.

The right side landing gear on my Fifth wheel decided to not go up or down with the motor...turns out the gears were stripped.  Luckily I have an obsolete set which means the rebuild kit was more expensive that it should have been.  I did get that put back together and it now works just fine.

The camp ground we stayed in had full hook ups, never did this before.  When I hooked up the pressurized water I noticed a steady stream of water coming out of one of the two pipe that hang vertical out of the bottom of the trailer.  I am not sure what these are.  I have noticed small drips on other drips and I have tried to follow the lines to see where they go but I get lost in the cabinetry.  I figured it may have been a drain for condensation coming from the fried/freezer.  Only with the pressurized water did I have this stream coming from the trailer.  When I used the RV's pump, there was not water coming out like this. 

Also, the pressure when using Hot Water was a lot less than normal with both water from the outside and the RV's tank.  Cold water has great pressure.  I have read that the water heater's check valve could cause this.  I probably out to pull the hater heater out and have a look.  It is a steel tank and I had to clean up some build up on the threads when I put the anode rod in.  Maybe I have build up somewhere that is prohibiting water flow. 

We worked around all of the silly issues and had a great time as a family but I would like to get the problems fixed before the next trip.

• Staff

I've had the seal in the water line fittings leak. Took them apart went to the RV parts house, matched them up,  now good as new. Also check that the water pressure reducer is good. They are known to go bad and you get full city line pressure to the hose fittings. Replace the pressure reducer with one that has a gauge on it.Cost a little more but you know what you've got going into it.  When you pulled your anode rod out did a bunch of deposits come out with the water?  I know mine gets big chunks that get flushed out. One could have gotten into the line.

• Staff

The two vertical hoses are your low point drains for the system. They should leak under pump or city pressure as they should be on the appliance side of the pump, unless you are getting excessive pressure from the city hookup. 

Were you using a water pressure reducer with the city water?

The two vertical hoses are your low point drains for the system. They should leak under pump or city pressure as they should be on the appliance side of the pump, unless you are getting excessive pressure from the city hookup. 

Were you using a water pressure reducer with the city water?

No pressure reducer, unless there is one built into the trailer's water system.  It was the first time I hooked up to city water, usually I just use the trailer water tank and pump.

• Staff

No pressure reducer, unless there is one built into the trailer's water system.  It was the first time I hooked up to city water, usually I just use the trailer water tank and pump.

Most RV parks run VERY high pressure to keep up with demand and a separate pressure regulator is needed between the city connection and the RV. 

• Staff

I've been told by my rv dealer to never hook to city water without the pressure reducer on. Oh man I'm glad your rv is okay as water is the biggest destructer of an rv.

Actually I think it's called a pressure regulator cause city pressure is too high for rv's system

• Owner

PEX plumbing is rated typically 100 PSI. But all RV manufacture highly suggest regulating down to 40 PSI as a typically pressure. Like here at home I know my well cycles out at 60 PSI and in just about 30 PSI. I normally do not use a regulator at home. But in all RV park I normally use a cheap pressure regulator. I always put the regulator at the faucet side of the hose. This way your hose is protected from high pressures as well.

As for the low point drain you might double check them. Like mine have a really hard push to get them to lock in place to seal.