• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm done with NAPA over a failing alternator, and TC lockup issues.

Ok guys,

As you know I'm an old salt here, I've helped hundred of people, but now I've reached the rope with NAPA. I've bough several alternators thought them for various local customers with the famed torque converter lock up.

And after 2 years with a new Napa alternator mine failed in late January. Due to my own error I misplaced that recipt so I bought another new one for $191.

Yesterday night after 6 months and a few days this one gave up as well. The ac ripple would go from .05vac then started spiking to .12vac. I called the same NAPA dealer I always use and told them it was a warranty. When I got there, they informed me that a 'lifetime' warranty was a one time swap. This was news to me, the only one they had had worse stats on it then one from pepboys I looked at in January.

Here are the stats on the alternator.

The old one the VAC was 30amp and the ripple was .55mAmp

The one that just died ac amperage was 36amp, and the ripple was .36mAmp

The new one I got pulls 38 amp with a ripple of .67vac.

With my hands tied I had to take it.

On the truck my fluke meter was showing .05vac with spikes of .07, but turn the headlights on and air conditioning that went to .65vac to .1vac.

Total fail. I'm so aggravated. I couldn't even get my one I just traded in back.

But in the limelight of this is Larry B, I contacted him and bought a denso rectifier. Neither of us are sure if how this will work out but I will be writing a report up on this.

And I hope that the rectifier from Larry B' s works. And I will be testing this out for everyone else. If this works I would say that this is better, because I'm done supporting a company that told me flat out this is it.

And to top it off Napa is using cardone rectifier s, and after learning this today I am now not surprised based on the several power steering pumps I've rebuilt that are Carson's as well.

Never heard of a lifetime warranty being a one shot deal, sounds like they are fleecing you. I replace under warranty several alts on my wifes 03 Jetta from Oreileys and none would make it more than 15-18 K miles before brush or bearing failures on them. finally gave up and bought a brand new one from Rock auto and took my 3rd reman back to Oreileys and got a refund which was actually more than what a brand new one cost me and never had an issue for over 2 years until we sold the car a few months ago.

What sucked was it was about a 2 hour job on the hoist as it has to come out the bottom after removing the fans and ac compressor and belt and belt tensioner after I got good at it to do an alternator swap on the thing.

I'm so surprised by it.

I have done an alternator on a 03 passat 1.8t. I got mine through German auto parts, and thus far have had no issues with any of their stuff.

I will call Napa corporate tomorrow and talk to them.

I have noticed a .112v difference between the alternator and the pdc box. The same test between the drivers and . Passengers battery is .003v

I am hopeful that Larry's rectifier will solve this issue.

I got my rectifier from Larry B' s and according to the photos my brother sent me this thing looks legit. When I get back from over the road I will be ripping alternators apart. And I will have an article written up for this.

I was surfing Amazon and found denso builds alternators for sale and was tempted to buy one and see how their build quality is.

Hey guys,

I pulled my alternator apart the other day and saw that the slip rings were horriable and were starting to really eat into the brush pack. So today I shot a video of my alternator AC voltage, pulled the alternator and then polished the slip rings and then the brush pack.

Initial testing was somewhat promising as the tc lock up didn't return. The ac voltage was more stable, very stable infact. However, the AC voltage was still higher then desired.

• 4 weeks later...

So after 3 weeks the tc lock up issues came back.

I pulled the alternator to swap in Larry b' s diode pack only to find out the brush was garbage.

So I pulled out another Napa alternator and cleaned up the brush pack and slip rings. I then installed Larry's diode pack in.

I'm installing it tonight into the dodge. I will keep everyone updated.

Edited by pepsi71ocean
  • Like 1

Nice article!  I'm tempted to go check mine.  I've got an issue with sparatic shifting, failed shifts, gear hunting, grinding, and extreme bucking at times.  Due to it being a NV4500, I don't think it's the alts fualt lol.

• Like 2