• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Don't come to my area of Idaho gasoline price are typically 10 to 20 cents higher now vs. diesel price.

As for noise reduction. I've re-installed my silencer ring in the turbo, added a 3" straight through muffler, then adjust the valve lash to 0.008 (intake) and 0.018 (exhaust). Run 2 cycle oil which reduces the knock sound levels. I know of some people pulling the carpet up and adding sound deadening material to the firewall and the floor board. Truly my 24V is fairly quiet compared to most others.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/71-2-cycle-oil-engine-noise-reduction

But it would be awesome to create a article for a quiet Dodge Cummins and how to get there.

I have pulled the carpet back and removed the seats for my deadening material. It was a major improvement. Also the TC-W3 2 stroke works I can attest to that.

As for me I have a muffler on the truck and a HO VP44 on an SO truck with DFI 7X.009 SAC injectors. Plus a Borg Warner 62/68/.80 wastegated turbo with the FMW compressor wheel. She whistles a bit but I can't hear it much anymore due to the deadening in the truck.

Edited by Vais01

• Staff

Good luck and I hope it serves you well. 

A guy at work just went from a V10 to a 7.3 PSD that is stock and couldn't be happier with the towing performance. His V10 was a year newer than the PSD, so 02-03 timeframe. Hopefully that isn't am omen of what is to come when you hook up a trailer. 

Only thing bad about the V10 is the fuel pumps. Unfortunately there are roughly 5 configurations for the same truck as well as 3 possible locations for the fuel pump relay.

Also use caution when removing the spark plugs they have a tendency to break off in the head.

My truck was louder than others. I had a friend tell me how much louder it was than his other buddies. Valve lash was set perfect. Most of the noise was from the pump side of the motor.

I also don't miss the road wander. I had the opportunity to test drive a 2012 ram service truck with a 6.7 in it. It was a dog, and wandered just like my 02 after many parts and tweaks.

When it comes down to it as long as you (but mainly the wife) are happy that is all that matters.  Like most everyone else, I've owned Fords, Chevs, and Dodges and they were all great vehicles and served me well.  Each has its unique weaknesses and those like us get a kick out of overcoming those.  Hopefully you got what you wanted out of your truck.  These trucks seems to hold their value pretty well in my area.  Not sure if it is the same in yours.

I had the opportunity to test drive a 2012 ram service truck with a 6.7 in it. It was a dog, and wandered just like my 02 after many parts and tweaks.

Was it a 4500 or 5500 service truck by chance? if so they are de-rated and have less power than 2500-3500 pickups and are very doggy.  As far as steering can't judge there depending on the rig and service body ect and how hard it has been beat. I have driven several 6.7 4th gens with high miles and they are all corvette like in both power and steering feel compared to even my 05.

Late 4th generation trucks with the SCR system are much stronger than the previous versions. Now a proper delete on the latest trucks require you to bypass a fire wall within the PCM/ECM. There are currently 2 methods to do this. One is to add a Bully Dog GT to bypass the firewall then use EFI live to configure the ECM with tuning for the delete. There is another newer method I can't remember for the life of me.

In all honesty the 4th generation Ram trucks have an excellent fuel filtration system from the factory. 2 micron final filter and a Racor under the truck about the drive shaft. It's a very effective system even in arctic climates.

Now for my personal opinion. I believe the latest generation trucks are absolutely great from the factory. They are no hotrods by any means but they will do the job in some cases better than the second gen rigs. They are very strong work rigs. Fuel economy average around 16-17 MPG, in several trucks friends of mine own average 20 MPG or better on the highway.

• Owner

Only thing bad about the V10 is the fuel pumps. Unfortunately there are roughly 5 configurations for the same truck as well as 3 possible locations for the fuel pump relay.

Also use caution when removing the spark plugs they have a tendency to break off in the head.

Some of those Fords have special spark plug boots you can't reuse. Then you have to buy spark plugs from thee Ford dealer because sensitive nature of the ignition systems. So tune up might be expensive but the nice part is that you only do it once every 100k. But that's only if you do it right.

Some of those Fords have special spark plug boots you can't reuse. Then you have to buy spark plugs from thee Ford dealer because sensitive nature of the ignition systems. So tune up might be expensive but the nice part is that you only do it once every 100k. But that's only if you do it right.

Sadly I've seen 1 truck make the 100,000 mile mark for a tune up. It's common for them to require a plug change at 60,000.

The underhood is a 3um NanoNet filter.

I have read some speculation that the 68197867AA is Racor made but that seems odd considering Cummins is Fleetguard.

The Racor is under the truck removing water and the initial contaminants. The final filter is a fleetguard nano-net with a 2 micron absolute rating. This was told to me by Cummins directly. Both filters have water separation capabilities. The Racor I do believe was a Ram truck idea the Fleetguard filter is Cummins OE.